• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

LOTR RPG connected to my Battles series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Allright the plan is to create a semi-canon LOTR RPG, in great detail, a few zones at a time. As the warcraft map is only so large, we may have to split it over 2 or 3 maps to capture the epic-ness of LOTR.
The plan is to reduce the size of everything to about 25 or 50%, depending on how it works out. There will be 2 Save/Load codes, one for level, gold, items and another for lumber, which is shared with the LOTR Battles series.

How this will work is as we obviously cannot have 1000 arragorns trashing everything in the RPG, you will still get to play the most epic historic battles, in the Battles series, and still get stuff out of it.

So, what I will need.
-Terrainers. Already have one from within the clan, not sure if hes very interested. However I kinda need a pro one as this map will be all about graphics. I'm rather good with terain so its not desperately needed.
-Hero designers. Need custom spells made.
-Triggerers. Not too good with triggers, and will be rather busy with the connected Battles series. Some expert help will be appreciated.
-A big supporting fan base to help me get the resources needed so I don't spend half my development time searching this forum for something that does not exist :mwahaha:

Thats about it, any help is appreciated, we can start by model hunting and finding a save/load code that saves everything except lumber.

Level 10
Actually I was 100% commited, just that since no one was interested (you see the date of the posts) I was quite surprised someone actually dug out this old thread. I had finished gathering most of the models and systems to be used and was waiting for a competent terrainer and skin person.

Anyway, its not all wasted because most of these have been used for my other project which is in the works.
What I'd really appreciate is if you folks could help on that said project instead, in which my terrainer picked it up but never got back to me for about a week now. Will wait a while longer, if he shows up, great, if not I'll start terraining next week.

Level 8
I most definitely would've posted if I found out back then, I found your first game, Helms Deep, and I was pretty happy with the game. It was really fun man, I hope to see this continued because it is a great map.

Level 10
Are you volunteering? If I can another staff for the studio, then we can absorb this project into a private SilverLeaf Studios project, which is rather fair since the systems were from my minas tirith project and imported from the hive.

Basically, the guild selfpwnt after some drama in the higher ups including myself, a powercrazed shaman and our not so bright easy to manipulate 13 year old boy (no seriously he says hes 13 but he acts like 6) of a chieftan.
As a result all our LOTR projects which I was working on got moved into my own Silverleaf Studios. As I promptly joined my now not so good old friends in a battleships guild, the whole LOTR concept got scrapped, the studio got a new fanbase (my community manager and a few friends stayed), new testers everything. But I am still pretty much the only one involved in mapping. Therefore I started work on converting the LOTR rpg into a battleship one by writing new lore, focusing on developing more of the sea and air based gameplay while neglecting the land.

As the rest of the guild was never involved in the actual mapping, I still own the projects 100%, so can resume work anytime. If you are hellbent on following LOTR lore, we can discuss that. If not, we can make our own, which will be easier to implement.

If you are interested, the studio needs a terrainer and as many people who can do even basic tasks with the world editor (at the moment its just me and a helper).
Contact me at [email protected] on messenger (live,msn wadever) and I'll add you to the team.'

Truth be told, there are not enough LOTR models around. If we are really to make a LOTR map, it is going to be botched like all other LOTR maps out there. Did I say all? Its going to offend a lot of people. But its true. There is not a single map out there that has done it right. They all use some vanilla units, or stuff that just didn't fit in. Very well made. But still NOT lotr.

The project was never scrapped, just that the priorities changed. We wrote our own lore, and we made up our own events and factions. If you are coming aboard (pun intended), great. If not, good luck. It is not possible to achieve in a timely manner unless we have 10 modellers and 10 texturers working 24/7 or you somehow manage to rip the models out of LOTR mines of moria, something I have tried and failed and we can't discuss on hive or get b&. However it won't be funny going around with a 1GB map.

So thats the RPG out of the way. The battles series is still in the works. Their points will still be usable with other battles series. As for the game world, maybe I was thinking not the whole damn LOTR world but like a few chosen parts. However the main priority right now is the persistent FPS RPG, Battleships New Frontier.
However if you are interested you can help out directly in the LOTR battles series. We're going to inflate the map and divide it into 4 sections eventually, and so it will essentially be 4 maps in one (helms deep, minas tirith, and 2 undecided ones).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.