• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Lost Textures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hi, folks. Just getting into the WC3 Editor (late, I know).

I was trying to import a new knight model that I wanted to use in a map and was worried that the file was "knight.mdl" and "knight.blp" thinking it might mix up with the vanilla knight. At any rate, I went ahead with it anyway, thinking that I could always delete this map and start again.

But now I've found that every time I try to open a new map, the vanilla WC3 knight model/skin is replaced by the new model/skin that I downloaded. How do I fix this? It seems like I've lost the normal WC3 knight.

Level 1
Oh, and should I manage to fix this problem -- how might I use my new model on a custom hero when the path on the download page says to use "knight.blp" as the path, thus interfering with the normal knight?

The custom knight model shouldn't replace the default Warcraft 3 one unless it is under the same path, e.g. units/human/knight/knight.mdl (or whatever the path may be). And it will only replace it for your map, not for wc3 itself. What paths did you import the knight.mdl and BLP under? Generally you can leave the model as "war3mapImported\knight.mdl" and the BLP will be whatever the model specifies (usually just "knight.blp").

To change a unit's model, open the object editor, click the Units tab, select the custom hero, and change the "Art - Model File" field to the imported one:
5315d1177289464-how-import-custom-models-wc3_object_editor_model_change.jpg

This may help if you get stuck on importing:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/3d-modeling-tutorials-282/how-import-custom-models-32237/

Level 1
The path I used was "knight.bpl" as per instruction on the page. I also moved the "knight.bpl" and "knight.mdx" files to the WC3 files so they'd show up on the WoWeditor (as I learned from a tutorial).

Now, even though I deleted the imported files, when I spawn a knight (from the human units tab), it shows up as the custom unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.