• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Lost in the Rain, by Austin Groves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I wrote this only last week, it would've been, and decided I'd share it with Hive. There's more to it, but it's not finished or in any state of being finished at the moment. I've had little motivation or inspiration to continue this story. But if you readers at Hive like it, I'll be glad to keep going and possibly finish it for you.

I've already decided on a title: Lost in the Rain, as you may have seen on the thread title. If it deserves changing if I continue the story, I can of course change it. So without further ado, here's what I've got:

Chapter 1

She stood in the rain, a little girl the age only of seven. It wasn't heavy rain, only light and falling slowly, the sky crying for her sorrow. She held a lantern high, but it did little to diminish the heavy fog. She stood on a beach, staring out at the ocean, it's waves leaping against the shore. Rocky cliffs stood tall behind her, and only a sea of darkness in front.

She had waited for several hours, standing here with the lantern, staring through the fog and hoping beyond hope he would return. She looked down at her feet now, bored but not willing to give up. He would be here soon, she told herself. Her mother had believed it, so she had to believe it.

And when she looked up, there was a small rowboat coming to the shore. It was far away, and she could only see two silhouettes against the midnight background. One was rowing, the other was slumped in their seat.

She waited patiently. The boat landed against the shore, scratching against the rock and sand combination. The rowing man climbed out, while the other stay still and unmoving.

"Who are you, little girl. Why are you out here at this time of night?" asked the man. He was dressed in a green and brown camouflage suit all over, and a hard hat atop his head. He looked like a soldier, but she couldn't see any weapons on him.

"I'm waiting for my daddy," she said. The man squinted his eyes, as if he couldn't see her properly, and then looked back at the rowboat in apparent shock. "Is that my daddy there?" she said pointing into the rowboat. "Is he sleeping?"

The man sighed, but showed no other sign of depression. "Uh, yes. He'll be awake soon. Why don't to run home?" The soldier spoke softly to her.

"Okay," she said and trotted of towards a long, winding path up to a cluster of houses. Then she stopped and looked back. "Is daddy coming with me?"

"He'll be there soon," the man said and he reached back into the rowboat, pulling out a small envelope. "Can you take this to your mother for me?"

The girl walked back up to the man and took the letter. It was stamped shut, and burnt on a few of the edges. The whole thing was soaked with water.

"How can mummy read this?" she asked.

"She'll be able to. Just make sure she gets it."

When the girl was gone, the soldier reached back into the rowboat and took out something else, long with a metal piece on the end. He walked for a while along the beach until he found a spot where the sand and rock was further from the sea. A perfect place, where the high cliffs would not drop too many rocks, and where the water would be unable to reach without huge waves, which were not common on this beach.

With the spade, he began to dig the grave.

Status
Not open for further replies.