• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Lords Of The Land-in progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Lords Of The Land

well...with THIS splashy name it better be good wont it?
LotL is basically an hyper-advance hero-arena/zone-control/diplomacy.
at LotL each player chooses a lord (out of a total of 24) and gets his castle (or other), lord dies-you lose. luckily they are rather strong.
the basic goal in the game in to take over all the "plaza" areas
concept map:

1 1 1 1 2 2 2 2 3 3 3 3 7 7 7 7
4 4 4 4 p p p c c p p p 8 8 8 8
4 4 4 4 p p c c c c p p 8 8 8 8
4 4 4 4 p c c c c c c p 8 8 8 8
4 4 4 4 c c c p p c c c 8 8 8 8
5 5 5 5 c c c p p c c c 9 9 9 9
5 5 5 5 p c c c c c c p 9 9 9 9
5 5 5 5 p p c c c c p p 9 9 9 9
5 5 5 5 p p p c c p p p 9 9 9 9
6 6 6 6 0 0 0 0 - - - - = = = =

sorry for the size...reading map:
0 to 9,- and = are player starting zones (randomly chosen),c is the 13 player (computer) and p are the plaza zones.
so infect each player on start can reach only 1 plaza.
once a player control all 5 plaza's a five minute countdown begins. if no one takes a plaza away by that time the game is over. player 13 only attacks the middle plaza for the first half and hour...to prevent his overpowered start to make any harm to the game. (even if totally destroyed he will geep getting reinforcements to middle plaza by portals! be careful!

the castles are actually big areas as you can see, filled with terrain changes and doods. as you get one area at random but the same terrain and doods (changed to fit the new location) even the terrain is not constant and canges from game to game.
each of the castles got his own starting army, buildings and such and provides a different set of units.
basically each player got his own unique army that is basically made of: worker units, spy's, calavary, infantry, archery and priesthood. naturally some got different army's for example Lady Nirsel got no spy's-as her entire army are spy's in addition to their normal type, as she is an expert of sneak attacks and silent assassinations. and commander kain (intended pun) got no priesthood as his army is technology based (steam technology but still...) and therefor is not very religious...

the plazas got more value then a simple win condition (as nothing stops you from killing all opponents). each plaza has a random support building next to her that taking the plaza gives you control of. example for possible support buildings are a market that can change lumber to gold and visa versa (very important as some got massive wood and low gold and visa versa), unique training building, item shops etc...also the provides some constant gold and most wood is found there...making them constant battlegrounds.

income is also different from army to army...while most tax out gold from buildings and harvest limber some lords use different methods better like Lord Srivan's gold mine, Lord Nefrasus' stealing spys and naralas' army of the dead that feed mainly of corpses, the yet unnamed barbarian army that pillage and take bounty and a few more i would like to keep for myself for now...

now that we covered the hero arena and zone control parts, lets move to the diplomacy part.
the point is, the king is dying of age, its a matter of time (5 minutes) where truce is enforced. no attack orders are allowed and this is preparation time.
each of the lords got good points why HE should be the next king, no one cares the king got an heir, he is useless. (so they claim)
the truth-its very simple.all start out allies but, there can be only 1 winner (usually) so the alliance breaks apart. i'll give a few examples to relationships that might occur:
lady silverwind, as the prince's spouse is allied with the prince's army (player 13) and whenever she takes over a plaza it goes to his control. bad for her but makes the job of taking over MUCH easier and they got shared victory.
the barbarians have a VERY hard time at the truce, they need fighting to get resources, and that usually don't do. the resourceful lords can take this to their advantage and hire him as a mercenary, but be careful not to let him get out of hand with too much resources.
commander kain's mechanical army is very powerful,(even that it is costy) making problems to both naralas and his undead, as they get little to no corpses and to lady nirsel's poison-based army. they could team up to take him down, making the job easier to nirsel by getting normal troops and to naralas by getting courses from nirsek's fallen...
in addtion free trade is allowed (even by enemys), can can even sell units! but careful-the other might trick you...so make sure you trust him...enough...before you buy any.

tnx you for reading (if you did) this long explanation and i hope you will enjoy the game once it is finished.you can look at my sig for the progress and in that note i would like to ask that if you got some idea for me for army's (its hard to invent 24 army's...i am stuck on 15 right now) random structures (don't got too many in mind, and i want high verity as middle plaza provides 4 buildings (but its VERY hard to get there)) how to make the randoming are thingy or anything else, please make contact in a PM or a post.

credit to:
DRZ, caveman, the dudes that made the models i am using (need to check who they are later)

Last edited:
Level 9
screenys coming tomorrow, as i have yet to make nearly any terrain (i focus on army first, and terrain is a bit random, but i will give an example terrain (1 start zone and 1 plaza) tomorrow, and i will show a parade (screenshot) of some units that are in the game...

update.
two screenys (not ingame) to your plasure.
1 is an example plaza (the important area of the plaza, not the woods around it.)
2 is a view on naralas, lord sirvan and commander kain and their army's. (well. 1 unit of each type...workers not shown)

while this is not shown in this picture, the plaza will have a standing army to protect it from early rush attacks.

also i will now inform you on naralas' unique game style (one of many)
unlike other army's, naralas cant build all units in his army. he can only build necromancers and workers.
you make shades out of workers (like in normal games) and raise skeleton archer and warriors with necromancers...
the revenet-called "spirit avengers" are truly unique. they are raised by naralas himself once he reaches level 10. nearly instant speed and low mana cost make them a fast regrowing force. they are VERY powerful and will beat nearly any unit in 1 on 1 combat. bad luck is you may only control 12 of these at any given time. unlike the skeletons they last forever making them even worse enemy's.
lucky for naralas he got structures that are capable of making corpses out of wood (buying them if you like)
naralas don't need gold what-so-ever so he got no trouble with that and cant even gather it. making his economy simple and productive, as long he can find plenty of trees to cut...

Attachments

• fewarmys.JPG
    fewarmys.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 183
  • plaza.JPG
    plaza.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Level 9
update.

things are going well...
i invented most armys by now (tnx RDZ and caveman for ideas) and i am only missing 6 now (out of total 24 i will have) meaning i got 18!
4 of them are all done and 6 more are halfway...
time to tell you on two new unique game styles:

barbarians:
unlike most army's, barbarians don't get tax...they got two sources of gold: pillage and bounty. and wood mainly from pillage.
this means the barbarian army get an all-out game style, gaining the most out of killing and destroying.

demons:
no need in gold, no need in wood. all them pesky demons need is to level up the hero so he can build better portals and have time to open the portals and summon demons.
the demon lords is also a highly aggressive army as they need to level up the hero for better units, eventually getting the best unit in the game-doom guards. like the normal doom guards they are STRONG like hell and a single one can fight off an entire army. lucky they take a high level portal and both the portal and the doom guards themselves takes a long time to call...

Level 9
UUUPPPDDDAAATTTEEE!!!!!!!!!

i am about 50% done with a demo alpha version for you to try it out...
army's that will be in the alpha version will be:

royalists (very simple)
steam tech (rather simple)
undead (rather complex)
assassins (very complex)
barbarian (rather simple)
demons (rather simple...jest dont fool around and take gating as first skill)
forest people (very simple)
dark knights (very simple)
orcs (rather complex)
the traders united (midway)
the mallita (rather simple)
????? (yet undecided-see "poll" at the end)
the unpickable army of the prince (player 13)

the alpha version will be rather simple. very basic AI for player 13, simple selection system (places not random, but premade for each army), and limited plaza options (only 6 diffrent tech buildings will show...)

the bad part is that tests time is starting soon (school sucks) and i wont have much time.
i hope to finish it till end of next week. but nothing is sure yet.

again-if you got ideas for armys i will be more then happy to hear...(i need 4 more HUMAN armys...for the human only mod...)
last and not least...a pool:
what 3 of these would you like best to see in the game (i got room for 3 of them only):

gnolls (will be used unless totaly unwanted)
trolls
panda
spiders\nerubian
dragon (will be used only if they get a large lead)
draenei

one of these will be taken into alpha...two more into the final version...you pick!
but it means 3 of them will be lost of you...

Level 9
well...after some voting in chat and in B.net...i got to this:

gnolls.
panda.
nerubians.

the 12 pickable for the alpha is chosen to be gnolls.
tnx for all voters.

Level 9
tnx...
nice to see my work is appreciated by someone...
as i got a big test coming the work on the alpha might take a little longer...
not to worry the alpha will centennially be released by the end of the month! (and hopefully much sooner)

Level 9
time for an update (double post jest for the bump...cuz its flowing to page 2...)

the armys are nearly all invented, and about half the alpha armys are done.
i want to hear one thing:
do you want a 3 player demo? (one quater of the alpha map will be playable...)
if yes i will get yo it right away...

anyway here is the update:
with 20 of the 24 armys fully invented, i believe i am at the edge of my inventive ability (and cavman's and RDZ's inventive abilitys-TNX GUYS!) and i sirusly need help with the last 4 human armys...
if you got any idea for a unique army style of fighting tell me...i am getting desperate...

for the good news:
i am getting some weird surprise for the alpha testers...(in addition to the credits)
furthermore i am getting some heavy work, hopfully finishing the alpha soon...
stay tooned...update in the next few days...

Level 9
heck this is tiering...
anyway i will now introduce the gnoll play style:

unlike all other, the gnolls are not training anything...they BREED units, meaning they wait for you to pay, and if you dont they get wasted...the gnoll structures constently breed units for free and once you choose to hire them they join the army. letting you hide your true force from allies and enemy's alike. the gnolls don't show a great power in the units, making attacks rather weak but they got a heavy advantage in defence-where the instant hiring of units already waiting for you lets you fortify your posts like no one other...gnolls are also one of the few with no fortifications at all, making them an army that must move fast and build like nuts...
also we need to add the fact-gnolls too, like the dead, need no gold at all and cant get any (save plazas-that gold is usable in other ways...) make it hard for gold-based army's to ally with them but makes them perfect allies to wood based armys (dead and tree people are 2 examples)

also in a side note (infact it might be more important) the alpha is delayed as i got MANY test coming us, including finals...

Level 9
hello there...
update time...
this thingy takes much longer then i thought...
also i jest found out the demons army is completely broken...
now rebalance, AND finishing all others...
its gonna get out of the planned time...

Level 1
You really need to post more screenies. Sounds really interesting so far. I will definetly play the map once it comes out.

Level 9
the good, the bad and the ugly.

as you see i got 3 types of updates here:

the good: gnoll area (for alpha) is done, with al units, buildings and doods and stuff...watch the screenshots! (they are not ingame...) barbarian area nearly done too, and i am working on royalist area and tech army in full steam (bad pun...)

the bad: i have very little time with all the tests so i get slower...alpha might not be done very soon...

the ugly: a weird crash made me lose 4 days of work...i gonna kill

Attachments

• barbstart.JPG
    barbstart.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 84
  • gnollstart.JPG
    gnollstart.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 53
  • gnollstart2.JPG
    gnollstart2.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 67
  • gnollstart3.JPG
    gnollstart3.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 85
  • gnollstart4.JPG
    gnollstart4.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 114
Level 9
heck...
this is way too hard alone...
i am sorry everyone that waits, but wait longer...it will take much more time then i expected...

Status
Not open for further replies.