• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Looking for a city terrainer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Hi, I'm looking for someone to terrain me a city for my latest project, an altered AoS.

Map size is 160x160 with a playable area of 130x130.

Things to keep in mind:
- In the middle of the map should be the "town square".
- 4 paths should lead from the city, to the outside of the city (map boundaries).
- The map should be divided into 2 halves, with each half diagonally opposite each other.
- The city should take the whole map, except for the teams' start location, represented by black dots.

Below is a rough diagram to help you out figure what I mean.

terrain-1.jpg

The black dots represent each team's start location. A nice place with a castle would be nice. :)
The black square is the town square, kinda like a park or something.

If you need more info, just ask. Credits will be given, and I'll make your own unique item named after you if you want. Your name will also go into the statue of heroes which will be in the center of the town square if you want.

Be creative! :) Burning buildings, crops??? Be creative :)

Last edited:
Level 9
i don't understand how this map should be/look like.
What red lines represent? walls? water? what?

The only things i understand:
•there should be a "town square" in the middle
•black dots represent players starting locations (i assume the map will be 1v1 only).

You want your map be something like footman frenzy?

Here`s a terrian. Please tell me if it's correct (note that this is NOT the map, it's a just terrian to help me understand what you mean so i can help you)
View attachment SomethingLikeThis.w3m
If it's not, modify it a little just to make me understand what you mean.

Also, this is a demo part of city i made, please tell me if this kind of city is what you're looking for or you want it to be made by archways, etc.
DemoCity.JPG

Level 6
i don't understand how this map should be/look like.
What red lines represent? walls? water? what?

The only things i understand:
•there should be a "town square" in the middle
•black dots represent players starting locations (i assume the map will be 1v1 only).

You want your map be something like footman frenzy?

Here`s a terrian. Please tell me if it's correct (note that this is NOT the map, it's a just terrian to help me understand what you mean so i can help you)
View attachment 56771
If it's not, modify it a little just to make me understand what you mean.

Also, this is a demo part of city i made, please tell me if this kind of city is what you're looking for or you want it to be made by archways, etc.
View attachment 56772

Red lines don't represent anything, they were just there to separate the map into quadrants so you could see what I meant when I wanted a symetrically reversed map. Basically, as you can see from the pic.

And no, nothing like Footman Frenzy. The map will be 5v5 but each team will only share 1-3 base buildings. Stores & shops will be located within the city, mostly.

I want a huge city. Probably not very descriptive, but I like the screenshot you posted. I really like it.

I also like the city in the WC3: Reign of Chaos human campaign "Chapter 6 (i think) the culling" except that it's too spaced out.

Here's another city I like: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/terrain-board-267/playable-city-126502/
Only thing I don't like about it: not enough building variation (they all look the same).

Now, here's a city I DON'T like: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/alunde-city-template-80598/
It's too village-like (with all the grass and everything), and I don't want any "enterable" buildings and stuff like that.

Level 9
I could make a city like the first one but it would take ages because even the buildings are made of lots of doodads.
Of course that would mean i have to import a lot of models and create custom doddads of them with custom pathing maps and also i would break the doodads limit.

As for the city from "The Culling" it looks pretty much the same with the one in "Alude - City template" (i've tested the map) except for the buildings.

If you want a map that would look like the "the culling" i can make it, it's simple (only tell me where sould i leave free space for players start locations)

If you want something in my style (animated grass, coustom buildings, custom trees, terrian in my style, etc -in one word >realistic< -) i can make that but you have to consider 2 facts:
1/ i will use custom models
2/ i will break the doodads limit(most probably) => both of us will have to use NewGen.

or you can make a basic map in 5 minutes and send it to me to finish, "upgrade", etc it.

Level 6
Can you make it in "your style" without using any custom trees, animated grass and other fancy stuff :p? Just standard WC3 doodads (of course, feel free to import anything you want if you'd feel it will make the terrain better). I'm fine with it just looking WC3/cartoonish.

EDIT: the map will actually be 130x130, so you'll need to terrain 130x65 or 65x130 before you flip it or w/e.

Also, it would be great if you could make each teams' base on a "cliff type > man made > increase 1" with ramps in the terrain pallet.

And I'll also need some neutral buildings (stores) here and there. If you could use those models:
- Barracks (ill replace with custom model later).
- Blacksmith
- Tavern
- Tavern 2 (ill replace it with a custom model later)
- Marketplace
- Goblin Laboratory.
Make sure each half of the map has at least 1 of each.

EDIT: If you haven't started already, could you make it a little magic looking? (Arcane Obervatories, High Elves houses, Fountains of Mana, etc.)

Last edited:
Level 9
i'm going to start making the terrian right now.

It was very good for me if you had make for me a "demo map" in 5-10 minutes to know exactly what u mean (so that i wouldn't need to begin a new one if it's not good for you) but however :).

EDIT: oh and because you still haven't mention where the starting location will be exactly i`ll asume they have to be where the black dots in the image you provided are. Hope i`m right, if not, i`ll reupload.

EDIT II: one more thing: please be patient, i want to make the map look really nice, so you`ll have to wait.
I don't know if i will finish it today or tomorrow.

Edit III:Take a a look at this. That's how it looks so far. Tell me what you don't want in map from now, not after i finish. Until you tell me what sould i remove/add i will take a break.

Last edited:
Level 6
Sorry. Here's a demo map. (Attached)

And yes, the starting locations will be at the black dots, but you do not need to place the players start location. Just create an area with a castle and some nice stuff. The area should be about 2 large grid square by 2 large grid squares. Maybe bigger if you need it bigger.

I would comment on the screenshot but I don't know what it is supposed to be :grin:

It would be great if you could post a screenshot of what most of the city will look like.

Last edited:
Level 9
well it's a screenshot with how i started the map and i thought you'll tell me wich doodads i sould not use and what parts of it you think are good.
One more thing: elf buildings from campaign + cityscape tileset looks horrible.

Level 6
well it's a screenshot with how i started the map and i thought you'll tell me wich doodads i sould not use and what parts of it you think are good.
One more thing: elf buildings from campaign + cityscape tileset looks horrible.

Yea just realized that while making the demo map :p
Don't use them!

You can use any doodads you want, btw.

Any other question? :)

Level 6
Not at this moment. I'll just let you know if i have any.
And i`ll please see how map looks at this moment and tell me if there's something you don't like.
View attachment 56898

I'm guessing the places where the red units are are the teams' start location? If so, don't make it so big. Make it 1/4 or 1/5 the size of what they are now.
Also, I don't think you should put a huge square area in the lower-left corner. That huge square would fit much better in the exact center of the map as the town square (with a big statue in the middle of the square).

EDIT: I also noticed the map size was 120x120... It should be 130x130 (but you only have to terrain 130x65 or 65x130 before you flip it)

Level 9
well 128X128 is what you can get. (playable)
There's no such thing as 130X130 size map unless you create a 160X160 map and modify its borders.

EDIT: oh and i just wanted to say that it's not necessarily to mode "the big square" in the center of the map...i can make a better-looking town center.

Level 6
Yea I know... make it 160x160 with a playable area 0f 130x130. It's good too because I have a command that enables a player to set the camera farther back, so if that command is used, more map boundary will be needed so the sky can't be seen where you're close to one of the map edges.

Level 9
man you`re killing me. You want me to make a whole new map just because you need +2 like 128x128 isn't pretty much the same thing.
But ok, i`ll make a new map.

Level 6
man you`re killing me. You want me to make a whole new map just because you need +2 like 128x128 isn't pretty much the same thing.
But ok, i`ll make a new map.

Sorry. :( But I did say it here: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...king-for-a-city-terrainer-130185/#post1153019
I'll reward you even more for your efforts.

You'll get: +rep, credits, name in statue of heroes, and your own unique item if you want. :D

Btw, what icon do you want for the Statue of Heroes? Basically, it will contain a bunch of passive abilities that do nothing and when people hover over them it will display the name of that person who helped a lot. What icon do you want?

Level 9
well i thought it will be done in one or two days but it seems i was wrong. :(
it's my fault because i'm working on 4 more maps and still i started a new one.

In the best case, i will finish the map in 2 days from now.
Sorry, that`s the best i can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.