• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Loka Labyrinth - A roundbased Hero Arena

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
This thread is all about:
Loka Labyrinth
by Lingonberryjam

Introduction
Brief History
Rules
Gameplay
Spells
Items
Progress
Screenshots
Download

Introduction

What type of map is Loka Labyrinth?
Loka Labyrinth is a roundbased Hero Arena supporting 8 human players. You play all alone - "free for all".

What is special about Loka Labyrinth
What I want Loka Labyrinth to be is a Hero Arena where the level of your hero is not of much importance, but the way you controll your hero and use skills and items. In many Hero-based the level of your hero is of to much importance, and that can have a player or a team losing for 30-60 mins, which is, if not frustrating, then very boring.

Every time you get your hero revived you should be able to enter the labyrinth and have as much fun as everybody else.

To create this, I have decided to have all players use the same hero. Sounds boring, but is quite the opposite. The diversity in the game will lie in the many combinations of choices you can take regarding your skills, your items your enemies and the labyrinth itself.

In what stage is Loka Labyrinth?
Since the map is just about to be re-triggered it is in an "non-playable" Beta-stage.
Before the re-triggering it was fully playable, that was a Beta-stage. Therefore alot is already done.

Who are making this map?
That is only me, Lingonberryjam, but of course I have recieved help, and will need more help developing it.

Why read the rest of this thread?
This following text is hypnotic. Since you are very into Warcraft III maps and modding, you will check out what this map has to offer,
and what you think is worth mentioning to Lingonberryjam.

Brief history

I tried to get some response on this map a while ago, but no one seemed interested. So I have spent some time pondering about how to take this, in my opinion, fun map one step further.
After some thinking I have decided to change the gameplay quite radically, by introducing a round system, and change the way you win the game. That is where I am right now.

Rules

The Labyrinth from above:
Labyrinth Map.jpg
After a very short cinematic, you'll recieve your Hero at your startingpoint. All heroes has the same stats and skills, but uses different models (the models to be used are yet to be decided). Now its up to the Host to choose the number of rounds, 3, 5, 7 or 10. After that you will play round after round until you have finished the chosen amount of rounds.
Before each round is started the host chooses what type of round this one will be. The different types of rounds are:

(hero revival after 10 seconds at a random startpoint in all rounds except for Pass the Bomb and Assassin)

Slayer
The player first to reach 8 kills wins the round.
If tie, separated by nr. of deaths, and if still needed a duel.

Survivor
The last player alive wins the round. You start with 5 lives.
If tie, separated by nr. of kills, and if still needed a duel.

King of the Hill
The player that has spent the most time alive in the middle room containing a healing fountain wins.
If tie, separated by nr. of kills - nr. of deaths, and if still needed a duel.

Pass the Bomb
The last player alive wins the round. The Bomb is randomly equipped to a player at start and when dying. The bomb has a timer, and explodes when the timer expires, and is passed by hitting another hero.

Assassin
The last player alive wins the round. A random player is chosen as the assassin at start. The assassin is permanently invisible and his/her objective is to kill all the others (all vs. one). If the assassin dies, the killer becomes the new assassin.

Note: All roundtypes will have some sort of time limit

This is the roundtypes I have come up with so far, feel free to share your ideas about them or new round-types.

During the rounds heroes level up by killing enemies (although a level advantage is not at all a garantueed kill).

The Final

After the last round it is time for the Final. Each player have their hero summoned at their startpoint, and then the player can choose what kind of rewards they want before the final starts. The higher amount of rounds won by the player, the better rewards is given. The rewards can be recieved as:
Special Items
Special extra-spells
... more to come.

Exactly how this is going to work is not decided. Ideas and thoughts about this are most welcome.

The final is then played as a combined Slayer and Survivor round. Each player starts with 5 lives, but it is the player that manages to kill the most enemies that wins in the end.

Gameplay

The actual gameplay is not like many other Hero Arenas. Except for the fact that you all have the same hero, the combat-gameplay is also different. It is roughly like in the map Ninja vs. Samurai, though not as extreme. The hitpoints of your hero are very low compared to the attack damage. The start values are:

Hitpoints: 130
Attack damage: 43-57
Attack cooldown: 1.83
Abilities:
Starting Ability:
Avoid (not level based)
Sneak
Critical Strike
Evasion
Bladespinn (Ultimate, requires level 8)

What you might think is: "LoL! There will be no skill in the game at all, just random kills all over the place"
That is not the case. And I'm not just saying that. After playing over 50 public games of this and recieving (except for mass leaves ofc) positive feedback, I'm convinced this sort of map works.

Spells

Hereby follows the spells that your hero can use.
Planning to combine Evasion and Critical to one skill, and then adding a new skill.

Avoid - Not level based
"Avoids any attacks and damage during a period of 1 second."
Each hero has the very essential ability Avoid. Avoid is an active ability that makes you invurnerable for 1 second. It has a very low mana cost and a cooldown on 8 seconds. Used in a tactical moment in combat, this ability can give you the upper hand (alltough abilities like evasion and critical strike and certain items can surprise you). Still, it is very important to try to get the first strike in a fight. Fleeing the scene is not impossible if you feel like you can't win the fight. If you would ask me how long a fight between two heroes would take in average, I would say about 3-5 seconds, but thanks to this ability the fights are much more fun and require more skills.

Sneak
"Enters a slower way of moving, allowing you to walk invisible and sneak up enemies and backstab them. Backstab damage increases, and blend time decreses per level. Lasts 30 seconds."
Sneak is a very usefull ability, but cannot be used as a regular "windwalk". Its long casting time rules it out as a way to just leave a fight. The decreased movement speed rules it out as a spell to use all the time (so does the cooldown on 50 seconds). There are several items that reveal invisible units, and there is a chance that a enemy hero will hear you sneaking up on him:
View attachment scrn.Labyrinth5.Sneaking.bmp
But using Sneak to give you the element of surprise is worth it, the backstab damage is a bonus aswell.

Critical Strike
"Gives a chance to deal doubble damage on an attack. Percent increases per level."
Not much more to be said. Having this as a "stick up your sleeve" is not a bad idea.

Evasion
"Gives a percent chance to avoid attacks. Percent increases per level."
This one can turn the tables and save your pretty ass.

Bladespinn - Requires level 8
"Spinns rapidly, hiting nearby enemies once with ur blade, dealing 50 damage and stunns them for 0.5 seconds."
Not overpowered, but yet not to be underestimated, this spell can give you not just one kill, but a whole bunch.

Items

Except for having fast fingers and a tactical thinking, you can also use the many items that spawn in the labyrint to win a fight (at the start of a new round, each hero recieves 3 items to start with). There are 3 types of items:

Permanent, such as Cloak of Shadows and Gauntlets of Ogre Strength.
Planning to remove permanent items (since their boring)

1-Charges, such as Wand of Illusion and Webtrap. 1-Charges can be used once, and when used a new item will spawn somewhere in the labyrinth. There are several cool traps included in this item-category.
Boring ones will be removed, and new more wack items will be added.

The 3 Superitems; Shuriken, Cloak of Doom and Enigma Staff. The superitems spawn ocasionally in the middle, and are dropped upon death. There can only be one superitem on the map. They are very powerfull, and killing a hero carrying one of those are of high priority.

Shuriken
A very fun item to have. It is a shuriken that can be tossed on an enemy, dealing 55 damage. What is special with it, is that when thrown the shuriken will drop on the point of the targeted unit. Pick it up and use it again!

Cloak of Doom
Perhaps the most tricky Super-item. It surrounds the Hero with flames, damaging you and nearby enemies. Also grants true sight and +hp, but it cannot be dropped!

Enigma Staff
- Has replaced Magical Gem -
This mystic staff cannot be wielded like normal magical items. It casts unknown spells when used, but you can be sure that you wont regret trying it out.

What the map features except for this is:

Small skeletons wandering around the labyrinth, causing unexpected trouble.
Different types Disasters striking at random locations in the labyrinth.
Enemies being able to hear you while sneaking

Current Progress

Since the map already has been in "Beta-stages" alot is already done;

Terrain: 90-95% complete. Needs more doodads to look better.

Units: 90-95% complete. May need more creeps.

Heroes: 85-90% complete. Need different Hero-types for using different models.

Items: 70-80% complete. Needs items for the Rewards given before the final.

Abilities/Spells: 80-90% complete. Need spells for the Rewards given before the final.

Triggers: 45-55% complete. Basic gameplay triggers are made, but the round system (and all it includes) has to be done.

Gameplay: 55-65% complete. The round system (and all it includes) has to be tested.

Screenshots

Those three screenies are not from ingame, but taken from W/E.

scrn.Labyrinth1.jpgscrn.Labyrinth2.jpgscrn.Labyrinth3.jpg

Download

Realease:
Loka Labyrinth - Slayer Demo

All players get 1 hero each. Everyone has the same skills.
play in rounds. For now the only available round mode is Slayer. First to reach 8 kills wins the round.

Use your skills, cunning and the items that spawn repeatedly to kill your opponents. And remember to use the ablility "avoid", which turns you invurnerable for 1 second.

-This is a demo only containing the Slayer-Round. More will come.

Thats the description of the map on the loading screen...

Remember that this is a "beta-demo", it is not in any way a finished version of either the Slayer-Round or the map itself. But i do think that the most of the Slayer-Round has been fixed. Feel free to download, play it and open it in WE.

The map is unprotected. You can, if you'd like, open and have a look. But please do remember who the real owner is.

Please feel free to report bugs or balance issues in this thread!

If you do take the time to play it, please take the time to say what you think about it here.

Download: Loka Labyrinth -Slayer Demo-

updated 26th July 2007
updated 28th July 2007
updated 13th August 2007

Last updated: 14th August 2007
- Loka Labyrinth - Slayer Demo - released
*updated the map, removing a smaller bug and corner-creeps*

That was about it for the moment. What I wanted with this thread was just to introduce my map, and hopefully get some feedback here.

This is the right forum... or???? ;)

Yours truly
Lingon

Attachments

• Loka Labyrinth -Slayer Demo-.w3x
    227.8 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Level 16
This is the best looking thread I've seen so far in the map development forum :).

Now, the map, I've read most of what you say, and imo this kind of map needs a catch, something that makes this special and fun, and Im sorry to say it looks like you dont have it. Now I feel like I need to give you that good catch after saying that, but I dont have any ideas either :). Good luck with the map.

Level 6
@ Unscrewed:

Lingonberryjam said:
...After some thinking I have decided to change the gameplay quite radically, by introducing a round system, and change the way you win the game. That is where I am right now.

It was almost complete. It still had bugs, and I was not happy about how the game ended. There was really no goal in the game.

@ Mini-Me

Thanks :) . Well, all good maps (and games) have something special no other map offers. And yeah, i agree, this map hasn't really got anything revolutionary or really unique in it. But i have got inspiration from so many different games, and mixing what i thought was the best with them could make a fun map. I think it was VGsatomi who said that making an all original map is great, but you cant set out to just make an original map. Some maps just turn out to be.

Still, what im doing right now is brainstorming ideas about how to make the map better... so i may come up with a good idea soon.

Back to the map.

Im currently working on the -Slayer Round-, and im soon done. When i'm finished with that I will test it out a few times (and take some screenies).

If it works ok i will release the map for download in the first post!

If i release the map, it will only have the slayer mode available, but if you could test it out it would be great.

I'll keep editing the first post for updates, so keep your eyes open.

Level 6
Loka Labyrinth - Slayer Demo - *Released*

- I apologize for "reviving" this thread. It is 3 weeks old, but i suppose my reason is good enough. I now release the Demo Map, which was mentioned in the first post. I could either have started an exact copy of this thread, or post in this... i chose to post in this.

View attachment Intro View.bmp
Loka Labyrinth - Slayer Demo - *Released!*

Yes it is!

All players get 1 hero each. Everyone has the same skills.
play in rounds. For now the only available round mode is Slayer. First to reach 8 kills wins the round.

Use your skills, cunning and the items that spawn repeatedly to kill your opponents. And remember to use the ablility "avoid", which turns you invurnerable for 1 second.

-This is a demo only containing the Slayer-Round. More will come.

Thats the description of the map on the loading screen...

Remember that this is a "beta-demo", it is not in any way a finished version of either the Slayer-Round or the map itself. But i do think that the most of the Slayer-Round has been fixed. Feel free to download, play it and open it in WE.

The map is unprotected. You can, if you'd like, open and have a look. But please do remember who the real owner is.

Please feel free to report bugs or balance issues in this thread! If you do take the time to play it, please take the time to say what you think about it here.

Download the map on the download section in the first post!

Major Changes:
  • Hero Stats manipulated to make longer fights, "reduce difficulty" (example: increased HP)
  • Items: All 'permanent' items removed. Now only charged and Super-Items
  • Item: Land Mine removed, and replaced with Iron Hammer
  • Super Item: Magical Gem removed, and replaced with Enigma Staff (read in Items Section in the first post)
  • A feature of "Floating Texts". When sneaking and attacking, there is a chance that the enemy might hear you (see screenshots)

Hereby follows a couple of screenshots:
View attachment testScreen1.bmpView attachment testScreen2.bmpView attachment testScreen3.bmpView attachment testScreen4.bmpView attachment testScreen5.bmpView attachment testScreen6.bmpView attachment testScreen7.bmp

Hope you find it a little bit entertaining at least...

Download the map on the download section in the first post!

Status
Not open for further replies.