• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

LithUnwrap -UV Mapping Tool

This tool originates from here

A great tool for UV mapping and creating UV maps out of pre-existing wc3 models.

Filetypes supported- .lum .obj .3ds .asc .Iwo .x .dof .ms3d .cob .nod .mdl .md2 .md3 .prm .smf .pof .oof .peo .geo .sod .l3d .3do .act .bdy .skn .bmf .mdc .mdo

Saves UV maps as- .bmp

The learning curve on this tool is moderately high.

Here is a tutorial on one of its many uses, UV map creation from an existing model:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/showthread.php?p=720122
( I must say this tutorial is quite good *wink)

Keywords:
texture, UV, UV map
Contents

LithUnwrap - UV Mapping Tool (Binary)

Reviews
22:14, 12th Aug 2008 Hakeem: Very good tool for just about anything UV mapping related.

M

22:14, 12th Aug 2008
Hakeem: Very good tool for just about anything UV mapping related.

oh. I see that ow. >.> The pic kinda gives the impression that it is a modeling tool. :p Thanks for telling me though. :D The vertex modifier doesn't seem to like me much. Hopefully this will help. :p

I suggest you read my tutorial for it, thats the only application I use it for, but its also useful for mapping models, but I dont think you are a modeling guy :/.

Level 6
This may be a silly question. But why can't you just extract the blp files needed to be changed and change them? Does this program show what you are editing then? Or am I missing something.

Level 6
This is a model unwrapping program, not a texture editor. It unwraps the model mesh as a 2D shape, which later can be textured.

Thanks for the reply, I realise this isn't an editor, but why would you need to unwrap it as a mesh? Can't textures just be edited anyway without the need of the 2-D mesh?
What is actually special about this program considering models already have 2-D textures which are easily extractable and editable?

Many Thanks,

Elven Spellmaker

When you create a model from scratch, it has no unwrap map. That's where this tool comes in handy to unwrap the mesh and to save the map as a texture so it can be later attached to the model itself.

To put it simple, this program creates a 2D map of all vertices/faces on a 2D texture which can be modified by a user's wish, but first and foremost, it adds a unwrap map to the model itself. After that, the modified model is saved in its original format, and an unwrap map is exported as a 2D texture, so the user can later on add a texture to the model.

7_side.jpg

This is the wrap of the model above. The user can now texture the map by his likings.

9_UVmap.jpg

Image Source: PeerlessProductions.com

Level 6
When you create a model from scratch, it has no unwrap map. That's where this tool comes in handy to unwrap the mesh and to save the map as a texture so it can be later attached to the model itself.

To put it simple, this program creates a 2D map of all vertices/faces on a 2D texture which can be modified by a user's wish, but first and foremost, it adds a unwrap map to the model itself. After that, the modified model is saved in its original format, and an unwrap map is exported as a 2D texture, so the user can later on add a texture to the model.

7_side.jpg

This is the wrap of the model above. The user can now texture the map by his likings.

9_UVmap.jpg

Image Source: PeerlessProductions.com

Thanks for explaining this to me politely (+rep), as I was quite confuzzled. This makes a lot more sense now, but one more thing. I have heard people say "You need to fix the wrap here" does that mean that people havn't been using a program like this?

Thanks,

Elven Spellmaker

When they say "You need to fix your wrap here and there" on textures, they mean to move a specific part of a texture on another place close to the original one, thus fitting the wrap, however, if they say that for a model, they want to say that the wrap on the model is horrid and that the creator won't be able to create a high quality texture. Bad unwraps (model wise) can result in texture stretching, upside-down textures, etc.

Level 1
LoL ,
good tool ..
but i guess the website where you dL this tool is really a crap x,x
tried bunch of usernames and it gives me an error "username already taken :-("