• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Legally speaking, do the new terms of service apply if I don't update the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrRious

M

MrRious

As a content creator, I hate what Blizz is doing: They can literally steal all the rights to your creations.

Do the new terms of services apply if I don't update the game (and to which version)? Futhermore, what if I post the campaign I'm making here?

MrRious

M

MrRious

Many a thread around about the EULA.
As long as it's going to touch their platform, Battle.net, I think so, yes.

How does that really work? I don't ask anyone to play it on the Battle.net version. The fact they would is independant from me.

Let's say Google would own any video on YouTube. If someone published a video made by me (with or without my permission), I doubt Google would own the rights to it.

This whole thing gives me a headache. None of this makes sense. I miss the old Blizzard.

MrRious

M

MrRious

My dude, you are using their editor to make a map, not your legal owned stuff.

Gosh, you're right. But doesn't the old version of the Editor still apply the old terms of services?

They couldn't get the rights to the Dota. I doubt they would get them after just changing the EULA

MrRious

M

MrRious

I don't think so. When a bank changes policies you are obliged to follow them or change the services with another bank.

But I'm still using the old version. If I owned an old Nokia, wouldn't it's terms of services apply even after many years, when they release a new phone with new EULA? I haven't signed an agreement to the new terms of service, after all.

EDIT : I'm probably telling some BS right now. I seriously don't know how it all works, as I sign anything big, corpos tell me to sign (with so many customers, I don't think they could manipulate them and get away with it)

MrRious

M

MrRious

No because you don't own the game, you share it via a license.

What about the Dota? They own the rights to their game. I doubt they would lose them, if they'd realse a new version made on the old WC3.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
What about the Dota? They own the rights to their game. I doubt they would lose them, if they'd realse a new version made on the old WC3.
They can't own intellectual property. If you make your own game after a Warcraft III map and the game is not a Warcraft III ripoff/clone, then they can't really do much against you unless you haven't got the resources to combat them and ultimately have to succumb.

MrRious

M

MrRious

They can't own intellectual property. If you make your own game after a Warcraft III map and the game is not a Warcraft III ripoff/clone, then they can't really do much against you unless you haven't got the resources to combat them and ultimately have to succumb.

Doesn't the new EULA mean they literally CAN do that? After all, that's what this is all about. They changed the terms, after they couldn't get the rights to the Dota, so this wouldn't happen again. That's what the whole fuss was about (I wasn't mumbling randomly like a redneck conspiracy theorist)

This thing is really confusing. Thanks for all the help, but I doubt we'll learn the truth unless any of us is a law school graduate.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Doesn't the new EULA mean they literally CAN do that? After all, that's what this is all about. They changed the terms, after they couldn't get the rights to the Dota, so this wouldn't happen again. That's what the whole fuss was about (I wasn't mumbling randomly like a redneck conspiracy theorist)

This thing is really confusing. Thanks for all the help, but I doubt we'll learn the truth unless any of us is a law school graduate.
As I already wrote, there are at least two threads where two Hiveworkshop lawmen users wrote extensively.

My man, they cannot enforce you to lose constitutional rights. Imagine if you'd give them your house "signing" a virtual EULA. It's not a contract, in the real sense. I think it has intimidating intents more than anything.

MrRious

M

MrRious

As I already wrote, there are at least two threads where two Hiveworkshop lawmen users wrote extensively.

My man, they cannot enforce you to lose constitutional rights. Imagine if you'd give them your house "signing" a virtual EULA. It's not a contract, in the real sense. I think it has intimidating intents more than anything.

Okay then, Thanks for the help!

You definitely should become this site moderator as it seems you read and rate literally anything published here. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.