• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

I think this is legal... if not morally ethical (who said I was moral and ethical?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
EDIT: Please move this to the private staff forums for privacy concerns. This is not just a WOW issue as well.
Note: MODS discussion ONLY, please! Want professional information, perferrably from a website manager, owner, or staff. Not asking for help, just a simple question
Well, the internet has a war3 modeling site, a wow mods site, a diablo site, a starcraft site, a fate site, yada ect you know the rest... *ahem*... why not create a Warcraft Diablo WOW Fate Starcraft Ect. Model-Texture-Animations ect. creation, modification, and conversion site? I know it's not legal here because it is YOUR site (let's not start that exciting argument again! PLEASE!) and YOU make the rules, but if I create a site, it can be whatever I and my team (I already have ready) want, to make of it, right? I just need to know that it is truely legal for MY site, yours notwithstanding anything to do about it.

I asked another site this same question and I got the most perplexing and rude answer ever (I ALWAYS get flamed... peerwise or moderator/admin wise), and the forum was thereafter closed and then dissapeared:

"For your information, the whole idea and rule on not allowing an act on a site is not allowing an act on a site. Therefore, it is morally wrong and unethical to ask us such a question, and we are not morally unethical to answer such a question. Whether it is our site, a site of Mars the planet, or your one hundred and second site, we cannot, would not, and will not answer such a question, not now, not ever. If you continue to contravene our terms and conditions by inquiring such information, we will ban and take legal action against you."

I would have said something against the reply, but I decided to leave it be before it got removed: "I only asked once (you said "continue"); the request wasn't violating any form of terms and agreements (Your terms and agreements state "No importing and exporting game materials to and from other games", Not "Discussing about creating a website."; I was asking if it was "legal", not "I want to do this... can you help me out?" v_v;

Perhaps you could enighten me, preferrably politely and understandably... like a client to professional relationship?

Last edited:
Level 14
You can make any kind of site, the content just has to be legal.

For example a Wc3 modding site is legal and the content on it is legal aswel because the content from the game is licensed by Blizzard and they decided to give us an editor so we can edit their content. They also gave us free will to edit their music, models, skins etc.

Same with Sc2.

Not sure about Diablo 3 yet.

WoW... hmm... we are not allowed in theory to edit it's content because some of it it's made by people who do not work for Blizzard, and they didn't agree to let their models be edited.

However as far as fanart site goes, anything can go.

Afaik, THW is now a Wc3 and a Sc2 modding site, and they are working on a new website, and that website will host D3 too. So if Hive is doing it, why couldn't you?

I also heard that if your server is hosted in Sweden, even if it breaks any internet legal rules, the swedish people will not let people look into your server or share the details related to who is the owner,etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.