• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Learn English!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
On the note of the English Language, it's a bastard language. English has been adopted from most countries that invaded, or was invaded by, England. It also contains traces of 'Ye Olde English' and Latin, too.

I cannot imagine a world where any other language was considered a global standard. I suppose, in relevance to what you said, it is a result of "Dem English invaders".

Level 14
While we're kind of on the topic of how to make a proper post (kind of), please refrain from typing your name at the end of your post. We do not have a disability against looking a few inch's to the left to see your name.

Sorry, I will not stop. After my first post on the Hive, I have always signed my name. My GF (yes I am abreviating, because I hate English class SO much now, I no longer care) also forced me to do it when I am doing any activity that involves the internet. It's an automatic thing and if you dont like, do not read the last line of my posts. Lastly, signing my name ends the main body of my post and the main text items that relate to the thread (most of the time). So, anything after that is off-topic.

~Asomath

Ash

Ash

Level 22
Sorry, I will not stop. After my first post on the Hive, I have always signed my name. My GF (yes I am abreviating, because I hate English class SO much now, I no longer care) also forced me to do it when I am doing any activity that involves the internet. It's an automatic thing and if you dont like, do not read the last line of my posts. Lastly, signing my name ends the main body of my post and the main text items that relate to the thread (most of the time). So, anything after that is off-topic.

~Asomath

Actually, signing your posts when a given signature field exists is idiotic, as well as being grammatically wrong. Fair point if you always do it, but it's still wrong.

We should be able to notice what is on, or conversely, off topic in your posts, as that is what paragraphs are for. Something else which you seem to be lacking. :p

Remember, I'm only here to help, n' all.

Level 14
That’s no fun! If people are so lazy that they can't bother to sign their own name, then something bad will happen. I do not know what bad thing will happen. That point can be discussed at a later time.

Alright Ash, if you want to continue checking my grammar after I said I wasn’t caring about checking it anymore, then so be it. You ended both of your "paragraphs" with sentence fragments.

I did not feel that my post needed to be separated into smaller paragraphs. Everything in there expressed one main idea. Now, if I wanted it to be a persuasive essay I would separate each point into a paragraph.

~Asomath

Ash

Ash

Level 22
Define 'fragments'; if by that you mean 'subordinate clauses', then you should read into the uses of main and subordinate clauses, as there isn't anything wrong with my paragraphs. Otherwise, I'm not quite sure what you're talking about. :p

Level 14
"Something else you seem to be lacking" is not a complete sentence. Fragments either are a phrase (dependant clause) or an incomplete main clause. "Something else you seem to be lacking" is a fragment because it does not include a subject. It is referring to the previous sentence, but is not part of that sentence.

Give me a moment to realize why the first "sentence" sounds funky to me. XD

~Asomath
P.S. Why the hell are we having English class on the Internet?

Level 14
No! You will not take my rights from me!
*Jumps of a cliff, survives, and climbs back up*
What do you mean I need it? I believe I am perfectly well educated in 9th grade English Grammar (or at least, east coast English).

~Asofrikkinmath

Ash

Ash

Level 22
"Something else you seem to be lacking" is not a complete sentence. Fragments either are a phrase (dependant clause) or an incomplete main clause. "Something else you seem to be lacking" is a fragment because it does not include a subject. It is referring to the previous sentence, but is not part of that sentence.

Give me a moment to realize why the first "sentence" sounds funky to me. XD

~Asomath
P.S. Why the hell are we having English class on the Internet?

Main clause and subordinate clause is the correct terminology. :p

With regards to 'something else which you seem to be lacking'; it's correct, as it's in the same paragraph as the comment on paragraphs -- this is where we start to get confusing -- and thus relates to the actual sentence in question. It wasn't part of the previous sentence because I was pointing out you lack the use of paragraphs and not what the correct use of a paragraph is.

:p

Level 14
Subordinate clauses and Dependant clauses are the same thing, it's just whatever you prefer to use. I just grew up learning it as the Dependant Clause, which brings me to another point.

Are we learning it the same way? As you said, English is a "bastard language". So, are some rules accepted in my curriculum guide that isn’t in yours?

All I know is that such a rule was never taught to me, and that I would lose points if it was left like that in a paper.

~Asomath

Ash

Ash

Level 22
Yes, it's most likely that we learn't English different ways. When you mentioned 'east coast' English, I presumed that you're from America. Thus, you're learning American English as opposed to English English, if you catch my drift.

Status
Not open for further replies.