• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Lands of Oreliathor - The Lore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
ShadowNasta Productions present

The Lands of Oreliathor - The Lore

--Creation--

At the beginning of time, emptiness filled the universe, leaving no room for anything else. Born of that emptiness was the great father of time, the highest of the Gods, Oorel. From the all-consuming emptiness he created the heavens and the numerous worlds scattered across creation. His great throne was called majesty, his scepter called order and his voice was called righteousness.

So it was that he set to work on the numerous worlds he had created. With his voice he raised the earth from the sea, and with his scepter he smashed great mountains from the earth. He created wonderous and diverse species to habituate his creations.

When all was done, he looked from the heavens down to his creations. With his great arm he reached into the center of creation and crafted a new world, his finest creation. He looked upon his greatest achievement and spoke the word that became its name.

Oreliathor.

--The Beginning of Darkness--

The inhabitants of Oreliathor thrived, for no evil could exist in Oorel's perfect world while the balance was maintained. Oorel appointed Humanity the rulers of the world under him. The world continued to thrive... until at last the curiosity of Humanity revealed to them the arts of magic.
For several hundred years magic spread through the world, until at last the greatest, most powerful and most proud of magicians gathered and combined their powers in an attempt to transform themselves into greater beings. The spell might have come to fruition if not for the powerful mage, Storfrand. In his pride, he gripped the spell in his immense power and manipulated the energy to transform him and him alone. The effort proved too much for him and the spell failed, resulting in a catastrophic explosion that shook the very roots of the earth. Of the Mages who had cast the spell, many survived, but they found themselves to be changed; twisted and malformed. As to their outer appearance, so were their souls twisted in malice and murderous envy of those who retained their Humanity. Though they came to be called other names in later times, they were then called Rhadra, or 'Accursed Ones' in the tongue of man.

The balance was broken, and evil took form on Oreliathor.

--Fall of the Great--

Over the ages, the Rhadra gained great power, forever cursed with an addiction to the ancient arts of magic that could never be healed. At long last, Oorel stepped in. He sent the greatest of his angels, the one named Hira, or 'Great Savior' in the tongue of man, to deal with the growing threat. Hira stepped onto Oreliathor and for several years waged war on the Rhadra. Yet, in a leap of fate that none foresaw, he found himself on the losing side. Desperate, he too tapped into the ancient art of magic, and with his newfound power he crushed the resistance of the Rhadra's greatest citadel, Hal Burindi, or 'Impenetrable Watch' in the tongue of man. There he stumbled upon the ancient scrolls which detailed the precise workings of the spell cast long ago that brought about the whole disaster. Fascinated, he took the scrolls and studied them for many weeks. At this stage he no longer fought for righteousness, but for himself alone.

He created the ring of power as had been created so many ages ago, and with his seemingly unlimited might, cast the spell. The transformation was successful, but his soul paid the price for his newfound power, and was transformed into one darker than the blackest of nights or the deepest of holes. At that stage, Hira cast aside his former title and took the name Rha Oorel, or 'Oorel's Curse' in the tongue of man. Striding forth, he continued his war on the Rhadra, crushing their strongholds with ease. At last he came upon their last sanctuary. The Rhadra fought viciously but could not stand up to his might. They fled before him, but with ease he pulled them back. Looking over them, in a terrible voice he commanded that they follow him until the end of time.

The next morning, it was sealed in blood.

--The Birth of Hell--

Under the leadership of Rha Oorel, the Rhadra assaulted the greatest fortress of Humanity, 'Oorel's Hand'. The resulting battle lasted several weeks, and the land surrounding the fortress was scarred beyond recognition. Oorel's Hand had never been taken, but finally, after weeks of conflict, Rah Oorel and his forces prevailed, and they took control of the fortress.

For several weeks, Oorel's Hand underwent an impossible number of changes, until it could not be recognised as the holy place it had formerly been. Rha Oorel held out his hand, and the land underneath the twisted spire split. A tremendous yet terrible underground cavern was formed, with Oorel's Hand in the center. The great cavern burned in everlasting fire, a testament to the black spirit of Rha Oorel.

The fallen angel surveyed his creation. He named the cavern Hel ta Hevana, or 'Greater Than Heaven'. He entered the cavern and walked to the base of the twisted spire. In defiance of what the tower had formerly represented he named it 'Oorel's Bane'.

For the first time, Rha Oorel was satisfied, but Humanity had not been idle in this time. The assault on Oorel's Hand had marked the beginning of The Great War.

--The Great War--

The fall of Oorel's Hand marked the beginning of the greatest war Oreliathor would ever know. There is no word in the language of men or the language of the Gods to describe the damage done to the world of Oreliathor in this period. For one hundred years did the war last. More species than can be named were driven to extinction both through war and through the damage done to the land.
Humanity began to turn from Oorel. King Helda himself was heard to say: 'Surely we have lost the favour of Oorel, for what else could this black being be but his own retribution?'
Rha Oorel was pleased when this news reached him. He planted a servant of his own in the palace in the hopes of bringing the wavering King over to his own side.

The Great War continued without end. Mothers despaired at pregnancy in the knowledge that their child would likely never reach the age of five. All the while, Oorel looked down on Oreliathor, displeased with the events that were taking place there.

--The Black Scar--

Ninety-three years had passed since Rha Oorel's forces had marched on Oorel's Hand, yet the war showed no signs of abating.

In the ninety-fifth year of the war, a brave force of men, under the leadership of King Helda, marched on Hel ta Hevena, in the hopes of ending the war once and for all. But the servant of Rha Oorel who had been stationed with the King alerted the Rhadra to their coming. They concieved a plan that would demonstrate their power and crush all resistance, leaving the world theirs for the taking.
King Helda's forces reached Hel ta Hevena, but found Rha Oorel waiting for him. In the darkest moment of the war, he combined the powers of the entire race of Rhadra with his own, and as he reached forth a terrible chasm was formed. The chasm appeared to have no bottom. It was five miles wide and its length was greater than can be measured by any who live. Not one of the men who had marched on Hel ta Hevena was ever seen again.

Rha Oorel looked on in grim satisfaction. The Black Scar had been formed.

--Divine Intervention--

While all of Humanity looked on in dismay at the forming of The Black Scar, in heaven Oorel raged. Loathe as he was to step in personally, he could no longer tolerate such terrible damage being done to his finest creation.
In a terrible rage was Oorel when he set foot on Oreliathor. His angels took Rha Oorel and brought him before Oorel, where it was demanded that he kneel and repent of his sins. In response, Rha Oorel spat in the face of his creator.

For his crimes, he and the Rhadra were taken to the very hell that Rha Oorel had created, Hel ta Hevena. They were imprisoned there, and all exits to the outside world, physical or otherwise, were sealed by Oorel.

Oorel came before Humanity, and made an announcement that would be recorded in the holy books until the end of days:

'See the fate of the one who turned from me! So too shall all who turn from me suffer the same fate, be imprisoned in the same hell. You are warned!'

--The Prophecy--

The beast has been sealed away
Not to see the light of day
But Sin itself shall not fade
For the seed of Sin the betrayer laid

When the world becomes ever wicked
And God's existence itself is bickered
Let slip the beast when this comes to pass
Oorel's Curse shall be freed at last.

Last edited:
Level 14
You cant say anything about this lore , if its good or bad. . .its just a lore. Lores in time evoulve . . .i mean the lore on wich wc1 is based. . .its alot smaller than if u go to the World of WarCraft encyclopedia. In the end a lore its just a fantasy and it can be taken for a religion of you know what I mean. Lores to me are worthless if they are shortstories. . .now if you would have wriiten something more detailed. . .than it would have value :p anyway Good Job! lets hear some more :p

Level 35
I must say this lore is quite epic and well written though I have concern that some of this may be slightly ripped from the LOTR.

However, I see some biblical inspiration, and if that is true then I commend you on how you wrapped biblical themes into a fantasy.

Hmmmz mabye I should put up some of my lore....

Level 14
I must say this lore is quite epic and well written though I have concern that some of this may be slightly ripped from the LOTR.

However, I see some biblical inspiration, and if that is true then I commend you on how you wrapped biblical themes into a fantasy.

Hmmmz mabye I should put up some of my lore....

Congratulations this is your 300 post :infl_thumbs_up:

Hm, well maybe its inspired from Tolkiens Lore. When I start making my first Lore it had some Tolkien ideas such as "an elf giving away his imortalety to save anothers life" and others , anyway not many than three on a vast Lore.
Although I stared a while ago my Lore is not fully complete. . .but its detailed one day I will post the Lore.
About the idea that its well writen. . .its a short story lore or something, it aint that hard to write corect. . .a shorty story lore will never have a writing value. . .it can only be gramaticaly corect.

Level 35
Huh what do you know I have hit 300 posts, Didnt even notice....

Anyways I am a great fan of Tolkein (I pride my self on knowing most elven lore from tolkein) Tolkein is usually a very good place for inspiration, infact thats were I get most of my inspiration :)

Perhaps because it is short is why its so good, but short isnt always bad. Short and sweet often beats long and dry. But I was speaking of the epicness of the story, "With his voice he raised the earth from the sea, and with his scepter he smashed great mountains from the earth." this is especially good.

Level 14
I was only saying that. . .well Sillmarilllion is basicly a Lore , but it has value because it contains hundreds of pages so you have "room" for diferent speeches so it can get a value. . .but in a short story , often its to short to have any "room".

Level 8
Hi dude. I think this has the beginings of a good lore, but it is far too brief and has not nearly enough detail IMO. A truly great lore doesn't just describe the biggest historical events of a worlds history, (i.e. God made the Earth, Jesus got crucified, man invented TV, the end) you have to delve further into the precise details and run ups to these events at the very least. For example, give more detail about the rise of the Rhadra, tell us how and why these wizards began to experiment with magic, even tell us how magic itself came into existence in Oreliathor, at the minute we have to assume it just exists, that it was created automatically when the planet was.

Aside from these big events, you should also branch off into other more specific areas, not neccessarily big events either. For example, you use names that you give in the 'human tongue' as a counterpart to the real name, which means you are using an invented language, but you haven't told us anything about it. You could tell us more about the geography of Oreliathor, you mention these cities but we don't know where they lie in correspondance to one another. Write anything and everything which will give us a detailed and vivid map to your world, and give it a rock hard foundation, history and identity, we don't want any half baked lore, the events of which could stretch over just a few days.

All worlds also need their legends and myths to make them interesting and authentic, so I think another big aspect missing from your lore is the tales of some great heroes that are remembered for ever by the people of Oreliathor. Try and make them as a sort of side note to one of your other parts of the grander scheme. For example, you could have a great leader of men, who held the gates of Oorel's Hand during the Great War, with just a few loyal men for days upon end without rest. You could also have your darker legends, such as a vile creature which comes out from the Black Scar once a year to hunt and eat human flesh, or a long lost cult of mages who were warped even beyond the extent of the Rhadra, and forced into exile to carry on their foul magic in the dark crevices of the world, and so on.

So, overall, I think you have the foundation for a great lore here, I do agree that you are wavering a little close to Tolkien's lores in places though. Now what you need to do to make it that great lore, is focus on filling in the gaps very thoroughly, pack them full of every story you can think to tell about Oreliathor, and make it interesting and deep.

So I hope you can get some ideas there, good luck with continuing on with this, and repost it if you decide to do lots more work on it. :thumbs_up:

Last edited:
Level 35
In comparison to other lore writtings I have read from other lore writters this is epic, Other lore writters. (especially Eragon how I despise that two pennies worth of a brain tumor, needs a lobotomy, lore. Written by a "lewk at mi I rote a buuk I iz suuuu 1337 and kewl caus I ripped all my stuff frum other great werks and made a horrendus mockery of good fantasy titles. Christopher Paolini) Sorry I just hate his books like I hate brussel sprouts. WITH A PASSION.

On a side note it does need more "meat" in it needs more substance, but for a starting summary of the main lore or even just a passage, Its epic enough.

Level 5
I am a big fan of Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings, although I have never read the Silmarillion, so it would not at all surprise me if snippets of his style made it into my stories, even without me meaning for it to be so. I have read your comments and intend to add to and improve the lore over time.

~Tiranasta~

Level 35
Ahhhh Tiranasta I am also a fan of Tolkein, and its ok for snippets of his work to find its way into your works, after all its ok to be inspired, just as long as you dont over "inspire" or just absolutely copy and paste then change as some "writters" do.

Status
Not open for further replies.