• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] Laid to Rest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Laid to Rest Cover (Small.png

An RPG for Warcraft 3 Reforged by Storm
Overview.png

This is a single-player scenario map for Warcraft 3 Reforged. It is set in an alternate universe where vampires, werewolves and other evil gothic creatures subsist. You play as an inquisitor, Jack Morrison, where you will have to both fight, talk and explore your through various storylines, landscapes and dungeons. The story consists of three acts, each with new enemies and bosses to fight, items to find and landscapes to explore.

As some people may know, the title and main plotline is based on the quest from TESV: Skyrim with the same name "Laid to Rest".

Skeletons in mine.png

Features.png

RPG style gameplay
Unique abilities/traits
Unique items
Character building
Focus on exploration

Gothic setting
Story.png

You are Jack Morrison an inquisitor. As an inquisitor you concentrate your efforts on destroying evil wherever it might reside. You have received a letter asking for your assistance in a small town called "Shirefall". The townsfolk believe that something sinister and/or evil is a work in their town, and you must help them resolve it.

Development.png

Note: As the acts are completed they will be released here. When the whole map is completed it will be avaliable in the map section.

(1-100 completion in %)

Act I (Breezewind Farm) - Completed!
Act II (Shadow over Shirefall) - 10%
Act III (Lord of the Night) - 0%
Screenshots.png

snip01.png

snip03.png

snip04.png

snip05.png

dwa

dwa

Attachments

• Laid to Rest (ACT I) - v1.1.w3m
    48.9 MB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Level 23
Well, I've played whole Act 1 and first of all - I like it! Avaliable storyline is well, but have a one moment -
from where we know that Reyes are werewolfs?
For whose, who didn't played and want to know story -
All except main hero dies.
I liked the usage of black mask and spell at all - althought they're based on standard, you make them more appropriate for our hero playstyle.
But I have encountered some small issues or things, which I want to list below:
  • Item "Silver Bullet" says that my NEXT "Quickshot" would be improved, but it applies not to only 1 "Quickshots", but to atleast 3-5 next "Quickshots". It's a one bullet, right?
  • If Delliah Reyes should give me some optional quest, so I don't recieved it. Or she shouldn't, dunno;
  • In "Fireflask" learn spell description LVL 5 replaced with LVL 1;
  • Seems that potion doesn't increase it's restore effect while I've special item for it, huh? Or I'm dumb?
Good starting story - clicked follow and await Act 2 & 3!
Also some screenshots from gameplay and replay:

Attachments

• Bullet issue.png
    Bullet issue.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 41
  • Delliah Dialog.png
    Delliah Dialog.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 39
  • FireTask Text Error.png
    FireTask Text Error.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 37
  • iN.png
    iN.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 40
  • Noice.png
    Noice.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 39
  • Potion Error.png
    Potion Error.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 43
  • Laid.w3g
    386 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
To answer the question asked:
We know the Reyes' (Gabriel Reyes and Delilah Reyes) are werewolves because Delilah transformed into one in the mine, after telling Jack that herself and Gabriel were cursed. Also, I try to hint it in the books and diaries on the map.

Now for the other stuff:
  • The Silver Bullet item issue is because I forgot to mark "Sir Kimberbrave" as an unholy creature. Fixed!
  • Delilah should not have a side quest. The quest you saw on screen, was given by Sir Alfred.
  • Fire Flask has been fixed!
  • From what I saw in the replay the ring seems to work fine regarding the bonus restoration

And just for the record:
Everyone doesn't actually die, Coleman survives. He was standing by the farm, as you ran past after killing the werewolf in the cave.

I really appreciate your testing. It's very useful to see how other people navigate the map, so I can make changes.

Overall, I'm glad you liked it! And thanks again for taking your time to share these issues/bugs with me, it means a lot! :D

Last edited:
Level 23
To answer the question asked:
We know the Reyes' (Gabriel Reyes and Delilah Reyes) are werewolves because Delilah transformed into one in the mine, after telling Jack that herself and Gabriel were cursed. Also, I try to hint it in the books and diaries on the map.

Now for the other stuff:
  • The Silver Bullet item issue is because I forgot to mark "Sir Kimberbrave" as an unholy creature. Fixed!
  • Delilah should not have a side quest. The quest you saw on screen, was given by Sir Alfred.
  • Fire Flask has been fixed!
  • From what I saw in the replay the ring seems to work fine regarding the bonus restoration

And just for the record:
Everyone doesn't actually die, Coleman survives. He was standing by the farm, as you ran past after killing the werewolf in the cave.

I really appreciate your testing. It's very useful to see how other people navigate the map, so I can make changes.

Overall, I'm glad you liked it! And thanks again for taking your time to share these issues/bugs with me, it means a lot! :D
I agree, but before mine encount seems nothing clears up to their "hunger". Only note is in wolf cavern, but it could hint on anyone else
  • About ring - I'm dumb, because seems that ring says "flasks restore 50% of HP", not "they restore additional 50% of HP in addition to 20% HP effect" :D
Wish you best regards - keep going!

Level 8
Hello, I've played this as a part of checking out Warcraft Maporino (!) submissions. I gotta say, the map's pretty solid. I feel like the balancing is on point right now, especially the way your mana regeneration works. It's a neat feature that needs to be added to more maps because it makes usage of abilities much more prominent and the combat feels more interactive. Also, nice to see a map not taking place in the Warcraft universe, go original lore.

My only real complaint is that sometimes the blackmask effect may impede exploring quite a bit. There were a couple of instances where I had trouble finding my quest objective or getting back to the main location (I memorized the layout later, but at first it was a bit confusing). I get that it's realistic to not have an obvious map, but I can see this feature becoming a problem when future acts are added and the map grows larger.

Level 9
I gave the map a try and I was pleasantly surprised. The models are nice. The action is brief but delivers enough to keep you interested in what's happening. And the map has a good environmental storytelling like when I decided to explore the forest and found the camp one of the characters mentioned.
There are a few things that bugged me a little bit during this adventure and it goes as this:
  • When/If Jack discovers the Old Shrine in the mine he has nothing to say about it although he could be knowledgeable of "unholy" things
  • The Lose Cannon Rune is broken, I killed the end boss of the first act with three shots and a bottle of fire. It makes other skills obsolete. Not that it's necessarily "bad" but I think it spoils the fun in trying to develop other skills or Rune combinations.
  • There is a small grammar error during the lines where it says "Gabriel bastard" when it should be "that bastard Gabriel"
Overall it was a good experience and I am looking forward to what the rest of the story has to offer.

I gave the map a try and I was pleasantly surprised. The models are nice. The action is brief but delivers enough to keep you interested in what's happening. And the map has a good environmental storytelling like when I decided to explore the forest and found the camp one of the characters mentioned.
There are a few things that bugged me a little bit during this adventure and it goes as this:
  • When/If Jack discovers the Old Shrine in the mine he has nothing to say about it although he could be knowledgeable of "unholy" things
  • The Lose Cannon Rune is broken, I killed the end boss of the first act with three shots and a bottle of fire. It makes other skills obsolete. Not that it's necessarily "bad" but I think it spoils the fun in trying to develop other skills or Rune combinations.
  • There is a small grammar error during the lines where it says "Gabriel bastard" when it should be "that bastard Gabriel"
Overall it was a good experience and I am looking forward to what the rest of the story has to offer.
Thanks for playing!

I'm glad you had a good experience, and I'll definitely look into what you've stated once I resume development.

Any news from development?
I'm taking a bit of a break from warcraft 3. So, nothing yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.