• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

KoK Version without Save/Load System?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Greetings,

I've played this RPG a lot and must I like it quite a bit with the exception of one thing; the 25 character password Save/Load system.

Normally this System would not have bothered me, I don't really play much online (as far as Warcraft RPGs go), and would just use the normal Save/Load buttons on the game menu to save my progress but to my dismay I find that it has been disabled!

I understand whole heartily the usefulness of a Save/Load System to save you character and items for online play with friends, but I find it time consuming and utterly useless for single player use.

I'm wondering why did the Dev Team do this? Was it truly so hard to leave that standard Save/Load Game for those of us who wanted to use it?

I'm not trying to berate KoK as whole, as a complete picture this is one of, if not the best Warcraft III RPG I have ever seen for many reasons:

- Attribute system that affects characters, damage and spell power.

- Item inventory system and branching skill trees.

- Respawning creeps and multiple side quests aside from the main story.

- Chat system with tons of flavor text from NPCs.

- And much more.

This RPG is a hands down 10 out of 10, but unfortunately the Save/Load system utterly kills the game for me, bringing down the score to something like a 3/10, sorry not trying to be mean but the Save/Load thing is a BIG deal for me, I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in the way I feel about it.

As the title of this thread says I'm interested to know, all comments about the (Save/Load system aside) is there a version of the latest patch of KoK that has the normal Save/Load Game intact?

I'm doubtful there is considering the amount of time and effort put into this RPG by the Dev Team, but am trying to be optimistic. :grin:

Please feel free to give me you own thoughts, I’m interested in hearing the opinions of both players and Devs of KoK alike.

Regards,

Jake

Level 8
We didn't turn off the wc3 save/load system just because we want to. Sadly we have to. There's some stuff that warcraft 3 doesnt save when you use the wc3 save so the next time you load it doesnt load that data and the game breaks. If we could we would allow saving in single player but sadly we can't.

Level 9
There’s stuff it won't that the standard save/load won't record? You gonna have be more specific then that Rain, because I honestly can't see why the standard save/load wouldn't work.

Also I'd like to add the save/load you guys built into TKoK is also pretty broke, when I save my characters and then reloaded it later using the password I was given it lost all my items I was carrying and EVERY quest i was on was lost, forcing me to start from the very beginning.

It made turn it off, it was so frustrating... Speaking of frustrating I'd like to note that the bosses in TKoK are WAY to hard, I read that HP/Damage/XP of bosses and all the creeps is based on the number of players and the difficulty settings, I was play normal with just one player and the bosses are WAY too tough.

Even with the hero at the same level as boss (which should have meant we where more or less evenly matched) I found myself constantly quaffing elixir and health potions, throwing down smoke bombs and healing wards, and STILL dying 75% of the time.

For as visually stunning as this game is, and workmanship put into as far as the custom systems go this game is still broke on SO many levels, I'm sorry but there’s a lot that needs to be resolved before then game becomes remotely playable, at least to me...

Regards,

Jake

(P.S. - Like I said in my earlier post I'm not trying to be mean, there’s just a lot I think needs fixing to make this playable, I hope you won't take offense to my critique of your game...)

Level 8
Ohh man how much I love explaining that we never intended the game for single player. That the save system never bugs when used properly, that quests aren't saved except for main quest lines(so you can just load and continue from the zone you were in).

So if you really want to play this map just stop playing solo. Playing solo will just make you think that the map is broken and what not.

About the save/load I think i've said enough. Things don't get saved. When you try making an orpg like that you will see for youself what the problems are and why we choose this way. Not to mention that saving/loading with wc3 is an abuse to how the game plays anyway. Will never be on, deal with it.

Level 9
I meant no disrespect to your efforts with TKoK, I just think that Warcraft III just can't handle all that you want to do with it, but I am still impressed with what you and your team have accomplished.

Lets just agree to disagree and let this whole thing go. You can also feel free to delete this thread if you want.

Regards,

Jake

(Btw- For some reason the map forgot my main quest line progress as well as my side quests, not sure if it was one of those one in a million bugs or not, but I used that Log Copy tool you posted on TKoK forums to copy it.)

Level 8
alternatively, you could store all the data you need for loading the character in a gamecache.
Thus gamecaches are global in singleplayer, you could use them, even if im not shure, if more than one gamecache can be used this way, if you have already one in TKok, but i think you use Hashtables anyway...
Warcraft III Campaign also saves its data about heroes ect in gamecaches, maybe you could implement something like that too for TKoK...
Not shure if it's worth it, I dont really need it.. :D

Level 8
alternatively, you could store all the data you need for loading the character in a gamecache.
Thus gamecaches are global in singleplayer, you could use them, even if im not shure, if more than one gamecache can be used this way, if you have already one in TKok, but i think you use Hashtables anyway...
Warcraft III Campaign also saves its data about heroes ect in gamecaches, maybe you could implement something like that too for TKoK...
Not shure if it's worth it, I dont really need it.. :D
Its exactly gamecaches that break the default wc3 save/load system cuz they loose their data on load if it's not campaign...

Level 8
No it won't. Code encryption has nothing to do with vJass. Try googling it and you may find additional information about it. I think we are already using the best methods for encryption to have the shorters codes. You have to keep in mind that we are saving buttloads of stuff for a character and the code is really shorter for the amount of data.

Level 8
That is already in from like 2.xx versions. Saving in SP with the save/load system with codes works just fine. You just can't load it in a MP game.

Status
Not open for further replies.