• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Kil'jaeden- Work in Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9

Attachments

• ear.jpg
    ear.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:

TDR

TDR

Level 18
well I'll be damned, the legs are actually the right length :|. Well I can't blame you for that then. But I still thinks it looks pretty damn weird and funny with such small legs.

I'll post a picture soon with what I actually want to say about the ear.

Level 9
I feared that this will happen… Blizzard followed after the "Shadow of Light" design of Kil'jaeden while I followed after Metzen's Original design (which is used in Wc3 as well…), and although the "Shadow of Light" design is much more unique, it doesn't even look like an Eredar. So there are two options, to use my current model for Kil'jaeden or to change it and use the old one for his guards (which I intended to create anyway). Here is Blizzard's model (Wow), Metzen's old design and "Shadow of light" design.

http://www.worldofraids.com/2008/ptr/24/npc/kiljaeden.jpg
http://www.wowwiki.com/images/7/72/Eredar.jpg
http://www.wowwiki.com/images/2/29/Kiljaedenallendilling.jpg

TDR

TDR

Level 18
Man, unless those "wrist" guards are made out of balsa wood, they must weight at least like 80Kg each. He may be a muscular alien but damn, don't you think it'll slow him down considerably?
Also the model has an overall messy feel (due to ZBrush overkill, if you ask me). Look at the pauldrons, where that little skull is. That's a very messy area. I think you wanted to give the illusion of worn armor, but I don't feel that. And that amulet he's wearing, well sorry but looks pathetic, it's very badly modeled.
And that ear...well sorry that I forgot to show you how I think a good ear should look, but I'll show you now. I hate to give my work as an example, but it's the only thing I got right now. This is how I think a good ear should look like:

ureche.jpg
ureche_wire.jpg

Look at it, it has VOLUME. That's what I was talking about. Your ear looks more like a messed up plane in which you dug ditches. And that perfectly sharp corner at the end and those strait outlines personally don't work at all imo.

And the area around the neck is also messy...the neck muscles are straight, running from the back of the ear to the upper part of the sternum. They don't bend so exaggerated like that.

I think you jumped in zbrush and detailing it way too early. I bet you didn't even set the topology correctly to mimic the muscle flow before you exported it to zbrush.

Level 9
I am remaking the wrist and the shoulders. I planned to do just the shoulder but whatever. Thank you for posting an exmaple, TDR, I will start working on the entire head as soon as I will done with the armor. The Skull on his neck looks pathatic becuase (as I mentioned before) I haven't finished it. Its not even the real mesh.
Thank you both for your advices and I will upload a new render soon.

Level 11
Are you going to change that skull in the corner? Because it's the only thing on there that doesnt look good. It's not fitting into that oval-y thing wrapped around it and it looks really bad against the rest of the armor.

Level 9
Are you going to change that skull in the corner? Because it's the only thing on there that doesnt look good. It's not fitting into that oval-y thing wrapped around it and it looks really bad against the rest of the armor.

Oh? What do you mean dosen't fit? Isn't it demonic enough? Perhaps I will make it more like the new concept after I am done with the rest of the significant details. Thank you for putting it in my mind.

Level 9
Another version of Killy's head (According to the new concept, but not entirely). I tried to add it more volume as you instructed, TDR. I think this Killy is better than the previous ones. Though I am not sure about the neck muscles... An advice perhaps?

Attachments

• Killy.jpg
    Killy.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 188
Level 17
I like it. The inside of the ear (right by the edge at the top) should recede a bit more though, it kinda bulges in the wrong direction(away from the head instead of towards).

And from what I saw the hooves and lower legs are still too small particularly compared to the other eredar/dranei. They're closer to how animal hooves are in real life, in deer. But deer aren't so bulky, and those hooves are too small in comparison to his body. they should be 1.5 to 2x the size they are in the last screenshot you showed them in.

Level 9
Oh, forgot to tell, I had pretty much done the model few weeks ago (Perhaps I need to teak few things and generate better normal maps but overall it is done.). I haven't began texturing him because I switched my project trailer's subject so he will not be included in it. However, I do intend to complete him since he appears in one of the cinematics but the trailer is more urgent right now.
Now I am working on another famous Character from warcraft lore (Much less complex than Killy), but I want to keep this one a surprise. Here is the final version of the model (for now, at least)
http://img124.imageshack.us/my.php?image=killyfinal2fa8.jpg
Thank you all for your support and advices!

Status
Not open for further replies.