• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Junkers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
-A steampunk world of goblin engineering, where Goblins compete with ingenius robotic creations to defeat enemies, and earn fame and glory.

[/cornyintro]

The map is in very alpha stage, very little is complete so far.

Basically, there is 2 main areas of the game: The Junkyard, and The Arena.
-> Players will ravage through the junkyard looking for scraps and shiny things to make their creations from, and after some time limit(or some other condition), the players will face their creations against each other in tournament style game play. The winner (and possibly runner up) will earn prizes of money, scraps, weapons, gear, etc. Then all the players will return to the junkyard, and update and rethink their creations. Number of arena sessions till the winner is determined will like be determined by the creator.

-> I want to include endless strategies and robot variations for intense replay value. The chassis, weapons, and endless supplements can be crafted and put together in different ways for different results.

Here is the main problem with this map: I can't think of any ways to make the Junkyard phases of the game compelling and interesting. My current ideas are to make creep encounters that you must defeat to gather parts, but I can't really think of any ways to make that exciting or strategic. Who wants to walk around fighting boring creeps? I don't..

Suggestions of any type are needed and greatly appreciated. I think this idea could be amazing fun is executed properly, but I'm gonna need some help and support.

Thanks in advance, and I'll keep you updated!

Level 9
This seems just like that crappy show they had on TV once, Robot Wars or whatever it's called. I don't want to disencourage you but from my point of view it isn't really gonna turn up great.

And, a-hyuk

Level 8
Yes, this sounds like a great idea. Make sure that it isn't TOO compicated, so that you don't need to be a genius just to figure out how to put a bot together. Also, make sure to keep the junkyard phase short, or at least have a testing ground for people who are done building.

Level 13
I suggest a system that allows a very large quantity of bots, similar to how I do things in Tank Blitz II, where each tank can have a main cannon, several secondaries, an engine, an armor, and as many systems as wanted.

As for the Junkyard, make a LARGE area in which all of the teams walk around to find parts in the same area. Allow a lot of environmental manipulation, such as clearing piles of junk, setting up an area scanner for useful parts, and allow barricade building for blocking other junker teams from moving into areas of the junkyard (make the junkyard terrain have many obstacles, making it slightly corridor-like, but don't overdo it).

There are many ways to make this game interesting, so I hope you make the most of your project and make something truly excellent and unique.

Level 12
I am very interested in this. You have to make sure though you have TONS of combos to make your mech from. That way I don't make a sniper or chainsaw mech everytime. *hinthint we want snipers and chainsaw mechs hinthint* You are going ot need customs in this and you may have a small problem with file size though. So yeah, just make sure you are always addin gnew combos or at least have a system that does it for you.

Level 8
I like Dark.Revenant's plans for the junkyard, make it almost maze-like, but easily traversable, it NEEDS a MASSIVE amount off doodads though, you might want to import some machine doodad models for that. [cars/mircowaves/planes] and so on

Level 13
I suggest you make it so that NOTHING in the junkyard is complete. E.G. You must find a Medium Case, some Super Capacitors, a Focusing Lens, and a Light Emitter, then use "Construct" on them to create a Laser Cannon. Perhaps have a hidden area where all of your parts go to, then you simply select which ones you want to combine, then type "-make".

Even more importantly, make sure that the battles require fast-paced tactics. For this, a battle model similar to my Tank Blitz II (move around, then push buttons to make the weapons fire out in front of you, colliding with other players and terrain/doodads) will probably work the best, but you don't have to use it. Nor do you need to give any credit to me if you do use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.