• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Jass vs GUI which best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
iam know much nice project is making by jass but no many people good in jass...iam also :D iam was in GUI ....but when iam thinking using jass it was a hard for me coz me really cant understand how to make jass...but when iam thinking GUI it more easy for me but...it was very tired was making GUI by clicking=.='

Level 13
Simply put, GUI ends up using custom script (JASS) most the time anyways. Further the endless clicking to create a GUI code can be a lot slower than simply typing out a command. JASS can do things that GUI just plain can't (Like not use BJs).

GetLocalPlayer() is a fine example of where JASS can cut itself above the game. Using this risky but highly powerful function Map Makers have created unique effects and conditions in maps. It's limited if not impossible to do this in GUI.

It's fine if you started out in GUI, most did, but all should be making an effort to use JASS and in time, vJASS.

Would a vJASS user go back to using GUI for any reason besides to allow beginners to handle their code? Probably not. Thus JASS trumps GUI.

Level 13
From my experience, GUI is easy to learn, but if/when you finally learn JASS, it is 10 times better in every way.
It really gives more features to the game.

As you can see it depends on how you ask, really there's die-hards for pretty much every language/interface that can come up with understandable reasons as to their greatness.

Really I'd suggest just use whatever's convenient for the situation - jassing out everything can be a pain sometimes and not every simple little trigger needs to be a jass masterpiece, that being said more complicated things like spells can require a lot of triggers for 1 thing in GUI which could be simplified to 1 single trigger in Jass.

vJass is always an option for spells and such, but I don't particularly like it for 1 reason: you have to go through a third party editor to use it. While this isn't a huge world-breaking problem, it's quite annoying as it can occasionally become glitchy or fail with a new patch until it's been updated - also it doesn't help that AVG is ALWAYS deleting important files to the program as it thinks it's a virus and doesn't listen when I set up exceptions.

If you can get past all that, vJass does make a lot of things smoother in a way, though it really depends on how knit-picky you are when it comes to efficiency. vJass can make many things more efficient, but often it's not as if you couldn't do the same thing with normal Jass and get nearly the same results.

As you said you've tired on clicking menu's and such, vJass may be the best choice for you - along with efficiency it also works to eliminate the use of menus more so then jass by letting you declare global's in the function without having to use the variable editor. (there's more specific things too within it but I'd rather get all that detailed with it as I'm not the best person to teach it)

Level 22
It wont get glitchy now, I don't think Blizzard will update anymore :D

You can always turn off the AV when you dl JNGP and then you turn it on, worked for me with NOD32 (which had the same problem as AVG, it fucking would understand that the thing I downloaded wasn't a virus!)

Status
Not open for further replies.