• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

JASS - Shield System

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I have been trying to develop a good, easy, working shield system for a few days now... and have not been getting much good look. So, I'd like to see how one of the THW contestants would make a shield system that had no leaks and was easily implemented into a map.

What the system must be able to do:

- Take a single unit and place a shield which will absorb X damage, and then be destroyed either after Y time or until all damage the shield can absorb has been absorbed. It must then have the unit start taking damage normally again.
- Be able to regenerate the shield over time, allowing more flexibility in the shield.
- Able to show simply and effectively the amount of damage left that is able to be absorbed.
- Create a shield that is flexible in absorbing or reducing magic and/or physical damage.
- Able to enable a "damage leaking" function that will allow the shield to act more like mana shield and allow a percentage or set amount of the damage intake to go to health instead of the shield.
- Able to be created into a spell easily in which the target of the spell is the one who gains the shield.

It does not need:

- To have animations or special effects showing the shield.
- To have an AoE shield function that will shield a group of units.
- To be implemented in the form of a spell, but be demonstrated in some way.
- To have a channel function in which the shield stays on as long as the unit keeps channeling it.

Yeah, I know - it's a dream shield system. But hey, I think it'd be a really nice challenge... so tell me what you think.

I was thinking of making it a contest to see who would make the most effective system. Surely no one will make this and be like "here ya go, np"... a contest might inspire people to actually do this.

Contests are made to let contestants do something around a particular theme, but still being able to be creative in making it.

This "contest" of yours just asks people to make a shield system which does this, this, this, and this. Not creative at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.