• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Itemisation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
My top warcraft RPG maps are Gaias and Profligacy !
Its been more than a year since the last time I played Profligacy, since the map is kind of abandoned (sadly, cause it’s really fun).
Nvm. An awesome aspect of Profligacy is itemisation. The simple fact that there are more gear types (slots) is one of them, but I am not going to talk about that aspect now! What I want to suggest is the way items drops. And since my English is not good enough I will explain better with examples.

In Profligacy items don’t always drop with their 100% statistics. What does this mean?
Example: a sword that drops with minimum damage of 10 (lets say this is the 100%) can scale up to 100 (1000%) damage. The same thing is happening with every other statistic of the sword ! So.. one might get this sword 10 times but each time it will have different statistics!
(Ofc the numbers and percentages are pure examples).

Dunno about crafts thought. Just didnt give it a thought. But a quick guess is that crafts better keep having 100% statistics (stay as they were).

This mechanics can literally reborn the game !
1)keep players playing Gaias even longer ! ! !
2)Make players focus on certain statistics. Give a huge plus to the uniqueness of each player.

Now all players will look forward to see DROPSS!!

Level 3
In Profligacy items don’t always drop with their 100% statistics.

The problem is that "Profligacy" use an custom item interface (I guess) for items and not as objects in wc3 as Gaias does it. With object, you would have to create an item for every possible stat for every item, you can't just random it in game. This would result in a ton of extra work and also fill up the mapsize.

I'm not sure "object" is the right term. But it is basically a true item, not a description of an item that the custom item interface can translate into stats. This is why you have to "equip" the items in Profligacy (again, guessing), not just move them to your char.

*Edit*
Zwieb have thought about changing the system to a custom item interface but chose not to. I prefer the current system personally.

Level 9
Would have to completely redo every item, and make each state be based on a rigger, that will give it a chance to randomly give it a number anywhere between x and y.
It would also throw the current system out the door, potentially causing another codewipe.
I personally enjoy the idea of random stats, however I don't like the idea of changing the entire system for it.
With that being said, it'd also probably take up more space in the map limit.

Since the latest update of Gaias, all Item stats except attack speed, proccs and special abilities are script-only, so it would technically be possible to apply random stats.

However, there is no way to change the tooltip of an item, so the description could never display the actual damage dealt by the weapon.

Also, there would be a big issue with saving/loading those items. As every possible permutation of stats on the item would need a different ID, the amount of possible items to be saved skyrockets to an unreasonable number.

I plan on making upgradable items for the endgame content, but randomized stats will not be possible without switching to a codeless save/load, unfortunately.
And this would require people to run an executable on their machines before being able to load in Gaias. Which is imho not an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.