• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Experience Required Changing Between Versions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
So I've been developing Profligacy for a bit and an insidious bug has been made known to me. The required experience to reach levels beyond 56 has changed between versions. Attached are images of all the possibly relevant gameplay constants from the two versions, the first from 0.20j and the second from 0.22e (as of yet unreleased). There are also inconsistencies in version 0.20m however its table is identical to 0.20j with the exception of the maximum level raised to 100.

In version 0.22e using tomes of power:
113901 was level 76

Loading the same code produced
113901/119530 Level 81, part way to level 82 in version 0.20m

unknown.png

unknown.png

Level 6
I think I've found it, somehow the full list of table values was truncated. Taking a look at raw numbers, calculated expectations based on the experience formula, first differences, and second differences I have come to the conclusion that the older versions had undisplayed table entries all the way to level 76 and later the entry for level 58 was cut down to 1 from 12580, with all following values omitted. This resulted in an oddity with skipping levels 57 and 58, as well as all subsequent levels requiring more experience than in previous versions due to changing to the warcraft default algorithm at level 58 rather than 76. My data and math can be found in the following spreadsheet.

Edit: Apparently this is a limitation of World Editor as after manually adjusting the level requirements table it truncated it to the same place again. I don't know necessarily know if this is a problem with World Editor, it could be caused by Jass New Gen or maybe even the new patch. I haven't tested with older versions or non-edited World Editor. I also probably won't be as I have other things to be working on.

Edit: Its definitely linked to the number of digits in the table, deleting one digit from a previous value leaves 2 digits in the final value.

Edit2: This can be circumvented by opening the map with an MPQ editor, extracting the war3mapMisc.txt file and manually editing the table, then readding it to the map.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.