• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Item Recovery Tutorial [Reviewed: Ralle]

Level 6
Tutorial by underscore and skytainted.

Item recovery tutorial
-In campaigns/Role-playing, there is always an Item recovery quest where in you find a specific item for a person. In this tutorial, I'm gonna teach you how to do that.

TRIGGER ONE-Setup

A. First we need to start off with the quest setup where in you put a exclamation point over the head of the quest giver.
Actions

But first, we're gonna create variables] which we need for the quest.
1.) QuestEffects Array
2.) LostPendant -Quest (This can be used in any name)
We're done, we only need two variables.
-Now to add the special effect. Go to Special Effect- Create Special Effect on Unit and after that, Set the QuestEffect Variable and change the Index to [1] then make it last created special effect. Here are the steps.
1.) Event- Map Initialization
2.) Special Effect-Create special effect on Unit
3.) Set QuestEffect = Last created special effect.
  • Events
    • Map initialization
  • Actions
    • Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the overhead of Ms. Quest Giver (Female) 0000 <gen> using Abilities\Spells\Other\TalkToMe\TalkToMe.mdl
    • Set QuestEffect[1] = (Last created special effect)
TRIGGER TWO-Cinematics
A.) For the second trigger, we're gonna destroy the special effect. And to create the quest.
B.) We're gonna create the cinematics.
C.) Set the variables.

STEP 1: For the event, we're only gonna use the Unit-Unit within range event to make it simple. The rest is up to you if you want to delete the cinematic or just plain text. It took me a while to make a cinematic because there's so much triggers and stuff. Now to destroy the special effect. Just simply go toSpecial Effect-Destroy Special Effect action. Then click on the QuestEffects variable which you created. And simple type in [1].
  • Special Effect - Destroy QuestEffect[1]
That's the first action. The rest is up to you to make the cinematic. In this cinematic, I made it a cinematic.:gg: You don't need to know this because it's basic or read the Cinematics tutorial XXconanXXX here: http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper.net/cinconan.php
Here is the trigger:
  • Actions
    • Cinematic - Turn cinematic mode On for (All players)
    • Cinematic - Turn on letterbox mode (hide interface) for (All players): fade out over 2.00 seconds
    • Cinematic - Turn subtitle display override On
    • Cinematic - Clear the screen of text messages for (All players)
    • Cinematic - Disable user control for (All players)
    • Camera - Apply Quest <gen> for Player 1 (Red) over 1.00 seconds
    • Cinematic - Send transmission to (All players) from Ms. Quest Giver (Female) 0000 <gen> named Quest Giver : Play No sound and display Help! I lost my gra.... Modify duration: Add 0.00 seconds and Wait
    • Cinematic - Turn cinematic mode Off for (All players)
    • Cinematic - Turn off letterbox mode (show interface) for (All players): fade in over 2.00 seconds
    • Camera - Reset camera for Player 1 (Red) to standard game-view over 0.00 seconds
For the other actions, we need to create another effect which you know, the question mark. But now, we're gonna change the model into the Random Object I explained this earlier so here's the trigger for that:
  • Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the overhead of Ms. Quest Giver (Female) 0000 <gen> using Objects\RandomObject\RandomObject.mdl
  • Set QuestEffect[2] = (Last created special effect)
Step 2: This is about the creation of the quest. First, we need to make anotherTrigger I named mine, LostPendant Acquired because that's the title of the quest. And make it "Initially Off". Remember, to set the LostPendant variable at the end. And we need to create the item requirement in a region or something like that..
  • Trigger - Turn on LostPendantAcquired <gen>
  • Quest - Create a Required quest titled Lost Pendant with the description Ms.Quest Giver lost..., using icon path ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\BTNAmbush.blp
  • Quest - Display to (All players) the Quest Discovered message: NEW QUEST!! Press F...
  • Item - Create Ms.Quest Giver's Pendant at (Center of Item <gen>)
  • Set LostPendant = (Last created quest)
  • Trigger - Turn off (This trigger)
We're done with the Second trigger.
Here is the final picture to know.
  • Events
    • Unit - A unit comes within 190.00 of Ms. Quest Giver (Female) 0000 <gen>
  • Conditions
    • ((Entering unit) is A Hero) Equal to True
  • Actions
    • Cinematic - Turn on letterbox mode (hide interface) for (All players): fade out over 2.00 seconds
    • Cinematic - Send transmission to (All players) from Ms. Quest Giver (Female) 0000 <gen> named Quest Giver : Play No sound and display Help! I lost my gra.... Modify duration: Add 0.00 seconds and Wait
    • Cinematic - Turn off letterbox mode (show interface) for (All players): fade in over 2.00 seconds
    • Camera - Reset camera for Player 1 (Red) to standard game-view over 0.00 seconds
    • Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the overhead of Ms. Quest Giver (Female) 0000 <gen> using Objects\RandomObject\RandomObject.mdl
    • Set QuestEffect[2] = (Last created special effect)
    • Trigger - Turn on LostPendantAcquired <gen>
    • Quest - Create a Required quest titled Lost Pendant with the description Ms.Quest Giver lost..., using icon path ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\BTNAmbush.blp
    • Quest - Display to (All players) the Quest Discovered message: NEW QUEST!! Press F...
    • Item - Create Ms.Quest Giver's Pendant at (Center of Item <gen>)
    • Set LostPendant = (Last created quest)
TRIGGER THREE-Item Recovery
Trigger three is about the item recovery. We need to get the item and give it to the quest giver. It's just simple.
  • Events
    • Unit - A unit Acquires an item
For the event, we're gonna use the Unit-Unit Acquires an Item For the Condition, this is important. Go to Item-Type Comparison. This tells us what item we need.
  • Conditions
    • (Item-type of (Item being manipulated)) Equal to Ms.Quest Giver's Pendant
That was simple. For the actions, we need to know if you should return to the quest giver. This is Simple so I will only paste the trigger.
  • Actions
    • Quest - Display to (All players) the Quest Update message: Return to Ms.Quest ...
    • Trigger - Turn on QuestComplete <gen>
The Final Look:
  • Events
    • Unit - A unit Acquires an item
  • Conditions
    • (Item-type of (Item being manipulated)) Equal to Ms.Quest Giver's Pendant
  • Actions
    • Quest - Display to (All players) the Quest Update message: Return to Ms.Quest ...
    • Trigger - Turn on QuestComplete <gen>
TRIGGER FOUR-FINISHING
For the finishing it's easy, I explained it already. So here it is.
  • Events
    • Unit - A unit comes within 190.00 of Ms. Quest Giver (Female) 0000 <gen>
  • Conditions
    • ((Entering unit) has an item of type Ms.Quest Giver's Pendant) Equal to True
  • Actions
    • Special Effect - Destroy QuestEffect[2]
    • Cinematic - Send transmission to (All players) from Ms. Quest Giver (Female) 0000 <gen> named Quest Giver : Play No sound and display Thank you. Now you .... Modify duration: Add 0.00 seconds and Wait
    • Quest - Mark LostPendant as Completed
    • Quest - Display to (All players) the Quest Completed message: Quest Completed.
    • Item - Remove (Item carried by (Entering unit) of type Ms.Quest Giver's Pendant)
CREDITS: underscore/skytainted.

Attachments

• Item Recovery byunderscore.w3x
    49.3 KB · Views: 80
Level 1
Now I understand how you use the special effects. Thanks for the map though, I didn't understand some of them.