• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Item Name Generator v1.0.1.1

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Reactions: deepstrasz
Well, basically it comes up with random item names from the chosen list.

Features:
-Easy to use
-Items can have prefixes and suffixes
-Create and use your own list
-Generate a single item name or a whole list of items

How to install:

Just extract the files from the .zip download

How to add your own list:

Just create a list on a .txt file then load it up on the program

Requirements:

I think you need .NET Framework 2.0

Compatibility:

Windows OS is surely compatible given that you have .NET 2.0, I'm not sure about other OS atm.

Changelog:

Version 1.0.1.0 - Added save/load function for the generated item lists and some fixes...
Version 1.0.1.1 - Made the text box scroll down to the last line after generation of names...

Keywords:
adiktuz,lanthanum,item,generator,randomizer,addon,list
Contents

Item Name Generator v1.0.1.1 (Binary)

Reviews
07:23, 17th Mar 2013 Magtheridon96: I think the names need to be diversified :/ Hey, remember that idea about generating names like "Hammer of <HeroNameHere>" or even "<HeroName>'s Mace of <NounHere>"? I can send you my name generation code and...

M

07:23, 17th Mar 2013
Magtheridon96: I think the names need to be diversified :/
Hey, remember that idea about generating names like "Hammer of <HeroNameHere>" or even "<HeroName>'s Mace of <NounHere>"?

I can send you my name generation code and you can use that to generate hero names for this project :D
The quality would be way more awesome then :D

By the way, when I generate single names, it doesn't seem to be scrolling down to the end :eek:
I'm running an x64 build of Windows 7 Ultimate and I have .NET Framework 4.0 :eek:

Another thing, when I hit "Cancel" in the Generate List window, it pops up an error message when it shouldn't :/

Cool :D

- Before you attempt to load a custom text file, check if it's null so the application doesn't return errors (Unless you're actually popping those errors manually o:)
- Same for giving a count to the list (It pops a "You must give an integer value" error. I don't know if this is hardcoded or custom by you :p)
- Could you make it scroll to the end of the list upon clicking any of the "Generate" buttons? :eek:

The names itself is yeah, low, around only 5-15 per item-type [bow class have 16 base item names]... Then you have around the same number for prefix and suffix... But considering the available combinations, it produces a lot of possible items... Considering a list without suffix, using prefix list Effects and item-type bow you will have a 12x16 combinations which is 192, now let's add suffix Elemental (22 possibilities), so it will now be 192x22 which is 4,224 possible items...

You can say that it is only numerous when we consider suffixes and prefixes but I believe that is already useful as it is... After all, in most games items only actually have quite a few types then they all just vary depending on their effects [I have played games where there were only around 6 basic bows + maybe 4 unique bows but have lots of possible custom effects that are shown by their prefix/suffix]...

Also, that is why you can use your own list... I can/will upload new/updated lists and other users can also do it...

Also, I do believe that there is no such thing as a generator that has no list inside the code... Of course we can do it per letter but that would result to lots of names that wouldn't make any sense wouldn't it?

Basically, this is for making common item names/modifiers and not for unique items because well, they are supposed to be unique to your games/maps/world... But then of course, I can still create a list for "uniques" when I have time...

Last edited:
Try doing what I did and combine consonants with vowels in certain patterns in combination with certain prefixes and suffices.

You can generate a random name and then do something like:

XXXXX's Bow of Dexterity

My name generator gives 70,000,000 possible names, so if you do the same thing that I did, you could easily exceed 1 trillion possibilities :D