• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Is this doable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Some years ago i ran into a game called Beasts and bumpkins, Id really like to know if it would be possible to make a map like this.

I don't think i currently posses the know-how to create anything like this. But i'd really like to try and make a campaign and/or multiplayer map based on this game with a warcraft twist to it. (after i complete my Hero-def map)

=========================================================

Well, this is the idea as far as i currently have it, seeing enough difficuties apart from balancing to work out.

I think in order to have players attacking there should be bounties to be given for attacking/raiding. but bases should be sufficiently defended that they wont be wiped in a single orcish or undead raid. forcing players to balance out between raiding and gaining resources and keep building on a huge invading army

Main issues:
-Controlling birthrates and aging.

-Working out the undead population system

-Needing to know and keep track of the age of a huge amount of units.

-If undead have a hero, how does it revive and how do you defeat them

-Reproduction system, how to check if an adult male and female are in the same house and then chance them on having a child.

-Make orcs reproduce fast and be agressive without them becomming too powerful.

-A lot of things i havent considered yet.

====================================================================================

For those of you who dont know Beast & Bumpkins:

You start of with a few villagers (Male, Female, Boys and Girls), The kids grow up and become adults that are able to do work (Harvest, Construct, Learn proffesions, etc.), the adults grow old (and generally become useless) and die.
To keep your villagers alive and help them be productive longer you need to provide them with food (based on 4 seasons), water and housing.

You gain new villagers by have male and female villagers mate. and gain gold by selling them food and out of taxes.
To create soldiers you need to train your villagers at a cost at a barracks or other building like it.

this is what gameplay i'd like to recreate in a nutshell.

Now for the warcraft twist:

The emphasis will need to be more on warring or on economy depending on the (warcraft)race of your choice. But I havent worked out the entire idea yet.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Humans:

As usual they will be the "average" Race. Having a longer lifespan than the orcs but a less agressive playstyle, they have a little lower reproduction rate than the orcs forcing them to be a little more careful with their units

Night Elves:

Low birthrate, but the nightelves cant die of old age, the nightelves will grow slowly, but become a force to be reckoned with when left to grow to a reasonable size. When a Nigthelf dies it will become a wisp wich can harvest or be used to grow into ancients. Altough this will have Nightelves wanting to lose some units to create the slow but powerful ancients, they cant afford to lose to many of their normal Nightelves in the game because it would slow down their growth too much. i hope this will have the nightelves use a tactic having smaller raids to harrass the growth of the other races before pulling back and luring any pursuing army into their ancient-defended bases.

Orcs:

I hope that a High birthrate and a short life span will force orc players to keep attacking. their weakness will be their offensive based hometowns with lower economies that will force them to attack and raid for gold.

Undead:

Having NO births the undead will have to depend on killing other races to gain corpses wich they can turn into their own units.
I think i would like to have the undead race start off with a Powerful(Hero?) necromancer wich can turn corpses into undead units. the larger and more powerful undead units costing more corpses to create (I really need to work this system out).
Stopping the Undead from becomming too powerful, the Undead will get damaged when not on blight during then day. forcing the undead player to attack during the night and then recall his forces when daylight comes.

Well, this is the idea as far as i currently have it, seeing enough difficuties apart from balancing to work out.

I think in order to have players attacking there should be bounties to be given for attacking/raiding. but bases should be sufficiently defended that they wont be wiped in a single orcish or undead raid. forcing players to balance out between raiding and gaining resources and keep building on a huge invading army

Main issues:
-Controlling birthrates and aging.

-Working out the undead population system

-Needing to know and keep track of the age of a huge amount of units.

-If undead have a hero, how does it revive and how do you defeat them

-Reproduction system, how to check if an adult male and female are in the same house and then chance them on having a child.

-Make orcs reproduce fast and be agressive without them becomming too powerful.

-A lot of things i havent considered yet.

I just wanna know if this is doable. if someone else wants to work on this idea you're welcome too, i jsut wanna see if it can be done because i think it would be a lot of fun. creating even more differences between the races and creating 4 distinctively different playstyles in a single game

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.