• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

If you were a third race...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets roll back time to the days of the second great war. Undead is under Orc and Elves are under human.

The war has drawn to a close and the orcs have been pushed back again. Humans have ventured beyond the portal to seek vengeance. Both sides are weakened; the perfect time for a third force to strike.

If you were a third race, and you had never been seen before, what would you be? I'm not looking for a conventional race here. Humans have dwarves, all elves, gnomes. Orcs have ogres, trolls, undead, goblins.

Tauren and Draenei are creeps, this isn't wow.

I was going along the lines of a dimensional race, that is free of any kind of building techtree, but the door is open here.

Ideas?

Level 11
The dark elves, the dark variation of Night Elves which have watched and lived in the shadows forever, waiting for their chance to conquer the world tree or any other magical point to further strengthen their dark magic. This is not official but made up.

Level 19
Sheep-Murloc Hybrids...
Their leader can be the almighty Gyrosphinx...
:thumbs_up:

or something more serious, the Maka'Thar, a lizardlike race of plane shifters, which initially can phase shift. Their starting unit is the Etheral Mage, wich can summon warp points, temporary "barrackses" training warriors, and they can summon Gravity Harvesters, which is temporary income generators, generating gold and lumber (or whatever resources u use). They can also reproduce themselves for free, like a spell which splits the unit up in two, but with 3 min cooldown, cost nothing. Their basic warrior unit (warp stalker) can use nearby corpses to heal itself, or, if it has full health and mana, spawn a copy of themselves (2 at a time per warrior) which have no reproduction and half the stats. This makes the race a versatile one, but their weaknesses is low health and zero armor.

the spells for this race is mainly anti spellcaster, wich means Dispell, disenchant, silence and spellbreaker abilities.

I have some ideas myself, and with the sufficient time and skill, I'll make some models.

Last edited:
Level 19
Cats, because all our base are belong to him

Lets see...
Ogres - Dont think so
Dark Elves - no
Nagas - not enough by themselves
Elder Voids and Facelesses - aww they own
Demons - I dislike em but they could be a good race

My suggestion ?
Corrupted Order:
Dark Purple wips as builders; they can destroy themselves to stun nearby enemies, they harvest trees quicky but they do harm them a lot so trees easly die
Units are kinda expensive, but all of em have at least one ability (minor cleaving, chance to drain 10 life etc)
Mystic spells of heroes are mostly debuff (DoT, armor reduction, slow)
Battle spells of heroes are evil (like killing an ally unit for temporary bonus damage)
More demonic then undead so no one say "lol this is just undead"
Heroes would be: Unbroken, Corrupted Ogre Chieftain, Firelord, Pitlord

Units: Faceless, Evil Sorcerer, Black Dragon, Harmbringer (mechanical), Blank (spell caster specialized with harming enemy units), Blood Golem
Items Sold:
Call to Fire; Sets all buildings on fire for causing them to damage all enemy units in your base, but buildings lose small ammount of HP per second
lol Im tired
cya later o_O

I very much agree with the summon building idea, and the melee weakness but spell powerful aspect. Perhaps the shimmering portal as a starting structure, and you only get one. However all units are invisible and can shift like the spirit walker.

No food cost for any unit or resource need, but all units are summoned and have a timed life. Thus, this race can exist anywhere on the map without leaving any trace. The inherent weakness and timed lives force the player to attack, and lack of any base defense structures discourage turtling.

Mwahaha.

Level 7
ideas

"The Titans, ruled by an elite sect known as the Pantheon, brought order to a
hundred million worlds scattered throughout the Great Dark Beyond during
the first ages of creation. The benevolent Pantheon, seeking to safeguard their
structured worlds, was ever vigilant against the threat of attack from the vile,
extra-dimensional entities of the Twisting Nether. The Nether, an ethereal
dimension of chaotic magics that connected the myriad worlds of the universe
together, was home to an infinite number of malefic, demonic beings,"

something from the dark beyond or the twisting nether

perhaps pit lords, as they should be a race but you rarely see anything else then heroes, or eredar but i think they allready exist in TFT

the dragons could join the war on a large scale

Level 10
I very much agree with the summon building idea, and the melee weakness but spell powerful aspect. Perhaps the shimmering portal as a starting structure, and you only get one. However all units are invisible and can shift like the spirit walker.

No food cost for any unit or resource need, but all units are summoned and have a timed life. Thus, this race can exist anywhere on the map without leaving any trace. The inherent weakness and timed lives force the player to attack, and lack of any base defense structures discourage turtling.

Mwahaha.

Sounds good. But the starting structure should be some building with a shimmering portal in it. Maybe a large Altar of Damned (The undead altar) with some shimmering portal(s) on it.

About the NoFood and NoResource its also a good idea. But the buildings that summons units can have mana so it costs mana to summon something.

Level 10
Decapodians, they come from Decapod 10 in their crab-like spaceships to conquer the world tree. They could work much like Zerg in SC since decapodians are born as larvas from a cluster of eggs. They eat anything that they can fit in the mouth (at least almost anything).
A hero could be Dr. Zoidberg, int hero that is an expert at human anatomy but really doesn't know much about it, has really low chance to do double damage on attack, has devour, can create a stationary mirror image when he changes shell, and ulti is to scream like a lunatic increasing hp, attack speed and attack damage.

250px-Dr_John_Zoidberg.png

I really hope you get that I'm joking, just had to say this since Super-Sheep said crab people.

Last edited:
One of the tenants of this race is that it doesn't rely on buildings and spell/weapon upgrades. It merely uses buildings because it is the only way they have to interact with orcs and humans. As such, I have created a very micro intensive race.

They are called the Unknown.
All units and structures are permanently invisible, and all but the "siege" unit can switch to ethereal form. All units use magical attacks, and have little armor. Spread out amongst these units are various spells that go with the units theme. All units also have true sight, and the "siege" unit and worker unit are amphibious. There is only one upgrade, and that is the main building upgrade to allow the more powerful units to be produced. Structures can be built on any terrain (stone, shallow water, etc). There is a tower structure, but it only fires at mechanical air units (zeppelins/flying machines).

The idea here is that this race has always been around, but has never been seen before. They need to be stealthy and hard to detect. There is no gold or lumber required, I did use food however as there needed to be some limit on unit numbers. I used the undead theme because it was good for this kind of race. There is no set starting place for this race, your starting units will spawn at a random point in the map, avoid detection at all costs.

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_022809_153154_01.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_022809_153154_01.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 143
Level 10
One of the tenants of this race is that it doesn't rely on buildings and spell/weapon upgrades. It merely uses buildings because it is the only way they have to interact with orcs and humans. As such, I have created a very micro intensive race.

They are called the Unknown.
All units and structures are permanently invisible, and all but the "siege" unit can switch to ethereal form. All units use magical attacks, and have little armor. Spread out amongst these units are various spells that go with the units theme. All units also have true sight, and the "siege" unit and worker unit are amphibious. There is only one upgrade, and that is the main building upgrade to allow the more powerful units to be produced. Structures can be built on any terrain (stone, shallow water, etc). There is a tower structure, but it only fires at mechanical air units (zeppelins/flying machines).

The idea here is that this race has always been around, but has never been seen before. They need to be stealthy and hard to detect. There is no gold or lumber required, I did use food however as there needed to be some limit on unit numbers. I used the undead theme because it was good for this kind of race. There is no set starting place for this race, your starting units will spawn at a random point in the map, avoid detection at all costs.

I like that idea! Those "Unkown" are smart, w8 until the horde and the alliance is weak. Then BAM! They come and kill them :D

Level 10
The "Unknown" idea is great! :xxd: but to clarify, why wouldn't space ships be possible in the warcraft universe when the draenei came from a planet called argus and they had a space ship called Exodar (capital city of the draenei in world of warcraft) that crashed in azeroth.

It wasn't a space ship in the sense you're thinking. It was dimentional ship that used ancient lost magics, not a craft with some sort of engine. I'll post up some more screen shots, as I'm pretty satisfied at this point with what I've come up with.

And there is a general agreement that the WoW cannon is not part of the Warcraft RTS series, as it takes drastic steps away. An example is the Draenei being part of the alliance; their entire point is to hate other races for driving them to extinction, and orcs have much in common with humans. The ship you're referring to was also called Oshu'gun.

Here are some shots. All the buildings are invisible when not in use, and have true sight. The units are amphibious as you can see. The last one is the Miasma using it's "siege" ability on some units.

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_030209_131844_03.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_030209_131844_03.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 165
  • WC3ScrnShot_030209_131753_01.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_030209_131753_01.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 148
  • WC3ScrnShot_030209_131937_05.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_030209_131937_05.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 113
  • WC3ScrnShot_030209_132103_06.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_030209_132103_06.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 91
1. The Unknown don't have heroes, I saw no point for them as they are not a structured society with classes - more just beings made of energy that have collective goals. All the units are spell intensive, and focus on disrupting use of buffs specifically - think Haste, Bloodlust, Slow, Polymorph. This race is meant to choose it's moments of attack wisely, perhaps even manipulate battle so both forces are left too weak to resist.

2. Yes, the wisp is the worker unit.

Level 4
The third race? I guess there are many races in many dimensions and it could be some new form of demons. Also I had to notice that every race has their dark side: Blood Elves, Dark elves - High Elves, Fel Orcs - Orcs, Naga - Night Elves. Maybe humans shoud have their Dark Side...

When I designed this race I took great effort to make the point that they have no common ground with any existing race. They aren't demon, or evil versions of NE or more corrupt UE - they are simply Unknown. In their base form they are pure energy, existing in a realm that corporeal beings can never interact with. They have chosen now, years after the demise of the UE and the burning of the Tree of Life and the breakdown of the peace between the races, to come out an wipe the slate of the lesser races.

As they are imperfect in physical form, they are weaker and must choose their actions wisely.

Sounds great :D

did u base the race somewhat around my idea? just wondering?

I did I guess, I decided to make buildings cost food to keep the unit cap meaningful. The idea is that you can build things all over, but they take away from you're the size army you have. I've had some really interesting games with the AI so far, mainly waiting until a battle is going down and manipulating who wins.

I would like to see some other kind of structure though, I think I'll borrow from you and make it some sort of waygate. Not sure how I'll do it though.

Hm so I'm having a bit of trouble. I want this race to center around mana as its "resource." The starting structure is the imported portal model in the screenshot with locust, meaning you can't interact with it. You have a main unit (called the Curator), probably based on the voidwalker model, with say 180 mana. The unit uses 5 mana, is permanently ethereal, and is invisible - so it only casts spells.

I'm not sure where to go from here. I decided I wanted this race to be free of buildings all together, hence the locust on the starting unit. Should there be no units and just have a series of nature based spells (sort of a play on "the day the earth stood still)? If this is the case, does the Curator get mana from corpses?

Ideas?

Level 5
You could have the curater make Mana Pools or something like that, which he has to maintain by draining his mana, but over time the Mana Pools becomes larger, giving a regenerative aura back to the Curater. It could also make Mana minions and whatnot, which can fuse into larger constructs through a Mana pools, costing the Curater Mana.

Level 23
I got it!
Ethereals(they are from WoW, sorry)
They are ethereal, they can travel through dimensions, and their only desire is mana!
The Protectorate has launched an invasion of Azeroth because of its arcane magic(destroyed Well of Eternity)

Status
Not open for further replies.