• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Core Mechanics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Greetings,
I am currently working on a map that has custom races and I wanted to do a custom core mechanic for each custom race. So If you can suggest any mechanics for the races that would be great. And what I mean by core mechanic is something the race will have that will make them feel unique, let's say dwarfs they will have runes and gun powder, and the units will focus on the core mechanics of a race.

Races:
-Humans
-Dwarfs (Current: Runes and Gunpowder, tanks..)
-High Elves
-Trolls (Current: Magic)
-Undead Nerubians
-Undead
-Skeletons (Current: Necromancy)
-Demons
-Corrupted Ones
-Orcs with demon blood
-Blood Elves (Current: Mana control)
-Murlocs (Current: Swarming, I AM MURLOC! the more units there are the stronger the units become)
-Naga
-Broken Drenai
-Worgen (Current: become stronger in the night time, and health manipulation [they become more angry and ferocious as their health gets lower])
-Druids
-Night Elfs (Current: become stronger in the night time)
-Orcs
-Goblins (Current: Advanced weapons such as bombs, tanks, rifles etc...)
-Tauren
-Drenai

P.S The map is a altered melee/dungeon crawler. And the map is a 2v2v2v2 map.

EDIT: just to clarify, the undead will use mostly zombie type units and the classic a-bombs and ghouls and stuff.
The Night elfs will lose the druids of the talon and the claw or tooth or whatever they were called.
Corrupted ones are the corrupted are the satyrs and some corrupted night elf treants and stuff like that.

Last edited:
Level 8
-Humans
-Dwarfs (Current: Runes and Gunpowder)
-High Elves (increased mana regen or total mana)
-Trolls (Current: Magic)
-Undead Nerubians
-Undead
-Skeletons (Current: Necromancy)
-Demons (Have better spell resistance)
-Corrupted Ones (can summon some old god units tentacles mby?)
-Orcs with demon blood (increased dmg and attack speed)
-Blood Elves (Can steal mana)
-Murlocs
-Naga (they take less dmg from some attack type cuz of their skin)
-Broken Drenai (special units that can improve items? cuz of their jewelcrafting skills?)
-Worgen (at night have moving speed increased)
-Druids (Can gain controll over low lvl creeps)
-Night Elfs (can regrow trees?)
-Orcs (mby add aura tht gives +1 dmg but it stacks up so they are stronger when you make a horde of orc units)
-Goblins (Current: Advanced weapons such as bombs, tanks, rifles etc...)
-Tauren

Level 3
-Humans
-Blood Elves (Can steal mana)
-Broken Drenai (special units that can improve items? cuz of their jewelcrafting skills?)
-Worgen (at night have moving speed increased)
-Orcs (mby add aura tht gives +1 dmg but it stacks up so they are stronger when you make a horde of orc units)

Thanks for the ideas man i found some of them interesting and will update the list now.

But some of the things were generic like increased
resistances I need something that will be more game defining like blood elves will have a focus on mana and not only stealing mana,
and their spells will scale with mana (if they have a mana increasing stat or some spell).

Also if you have any ideas about already existing races, feel free to put them in as you can see with the example of the dwarfs they have 2 core mechanics.

If anyone can specify more on the jewelcrafting skill that the broken drenai have it would be great.

Level 8
Maybe like like armor items give more armor or orb and other damage items gets more side affects and/or damage.Example improved fire orb makes enemy unit burn for few sec and that deals him damage over time.

You could research this ability/upgrade and maybe create custom building for it or any building hero puts item on and it upgrades.But ofc not all items can be upgraded to not make it too op.

Last edited:
Level 12
DWARVEN

Runelore: a the shop caster (i.e. spell breaker and the likes) will be able to create runes with a short channeling time, but unable to hold them like items. Creating runes should start with simple recipes like 100 gold + 40 mana and become more complex with stronger runes, demanding corpses/items/being near a certain building (like fountain of health), the possibilities are many. However, if you create a runesmith with 6-7 possible runes to craft it'll become rather difficult to remember, so I'd give him a rune compendium of which you can choose 2 runes the unit will be able to make (maybe give the ability to switch choice every couple of minutes).

GOBLINS

The Cart of Boom: goblins by themselves are weak, but with their explosives in stow they pack a big punch. In short, I believe all goblins should have "powder stock" instead of mana, and most should have an ability like fire arrows which will increase damage (and give an effect maybe?) but will cost powder. That's where the cart comes in: both a mana (powder) replenishing source, and a powerful suicide unit if you so choose.

TAUREN

Eternal soul: some tauren will become an invulnerable spirit with timed life when they die. Let's say a sworker will be able to scout for 15 more seconds (or repair if you want to op him), the caster's spirit will be able to heal your units for a short time, and the 3rd tier ultimate unit will be able to possess a weak enemy unit (up to level 3?). That's a couple of examples.

Status
Not open for further replies.