• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Is it possible to make a model stick to the ground like a texture?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I'm aiming to make a road, is it possible to make a model that is just a texture that wraps onto the terrain like a ground texture? and barring that, is it possible to create a new ground texture?

Level 29
There are doodads called Terrain / Cliff Doodads. These get affected by the terrain height.
If you make a simple plane, it will wrap onto the terrain. Perhaps you need a slight height offset to not have the doodad fight with the terrain over the same height.
The main negative of these doodads is that they cannot be moved or manipulated in any way, just created and deleted.
I am not sure what would happen if you create these doodads in-game rather than WE. Probably they will act like normal doodads and not get affected by the terrain.

As to ground textures, you can always import your own texture and override one of the default tileset textures that you don't care about.

Level 3
Research ubersplats! Those aren't models, but textures that wrap on terrain in WC3. Like those that are spawned by buildings.

is it possible to have these attached to buildings though? the main thing is to be able to build and demolish roads in game

Level 3
Yes, I am aware of that. the editor calls them ground textures so I assumed that ubersplats were a similar entity with more versatility. obviously the ground textures have to be overwritten instead of added which is why I asked. As an aside, hiveworkshop is the largest source of information for the world editor on the internet. I am doing my research, so if you're going to have a fit about anything, let it not be me asking for information in the one place I should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.