• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Campaign] (Is it allowed / interest check)Controllable Archimonde Undead 8 post-victory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
It's a one-off map I made in an afternoon that mods the official Undead 8 singleplayer mission so that after the summoning timer expires, instead of the mission ending Archimonde spawns as a controllable unit and the player has the objective of destroying the Wizard's outlying bases, for his amusement, before he wipes out their city wholesale in the cinematic. The mission is completely unchanged until after Archimonde spawns, I wanted to preserve the original gameplay.

Reading the map submission rules, it looks like it most likely wouldn't qualify for several reasons. Since it's intended to modify the official singleplayer, it would need to contain instructions on how to add it in through the MPQ editor (I only ever used the 2011 one, as a more recent version had a crucial options menu missing that prevented maps being added to the MPQ in a way the ROC client would read). I made it half for my own use, and half for some mild interest I received, most likely I will be distributing it privately. I made lots of silly changes to my official singleplayer 2011-13 (have several altered MPQs) mostly silly stuff like tripling the amount of enemies, giving myself Fel Orc grunts with bloodlust, Grom Hellscream and some Archimondes. These wouldn't be appropriate Hive submissions but of all the serious & nonserious map changes I made, this one comes closest to being useful and interesting to others, a quick, satisfying denouement from the madness of Undead 8 instead of the abrupt cut-to-cinematic, and lets the players control Archimonde and reap revenge on the Wizards which is fun as hell. One can tell whether they are playing my or the original version because mine has a second main quest that starts undiscovered.

As the single player is sacred ground I wanted to do a good job with what the tiny parts I was altering. I imported the Archimonde voice that Zenonoth & Joaquim98 used for Revenge of Mal'Ganis, which clearly comes from WoW, my submission would credit them. (I'd be open to using an Archimonde voiceset derived from Wc3 if anyone has one.) Their campaign has a similar mission except it lacks AI and starts after Archimonde is summoned, when I first saw theirs it was funny because we'd come up with practically the same idea independently; I'd already made a primitive version of my map for personal use.

I also made it so the AI stops suiciding its units into the player's base after Archimonde spawns, this was the trickiest part. Instead it returns home after a while, builds up and then will send some (futile) waves. I know some altered campaigns have been made before, I'd be interested if someone else already made this exact same thing though as it will be the way I experience Undead 8 from now on. I don't expect much interest or map approval but since I was going to make anyways I may as well ask, will probably put it on EpicWar though.

Last edited:
Level 6
Someone made this before. I just don't remember who it was. But i played it years ago. 2 years ago, maybe.

Level 2
You could make it stand-alone. Buff Arthas and KT to level 10s, have a shop with some good items (or allow the player to build a Tomb).

I say this mostly because it would also give you the option to make an actual base for Archimonde to destroy. As it stands, it's always been sort of easy to kill most of the enemy bases on that mission, and the map is rather... flat and unfinished-looking up towards the Northeast, iirc.

Level 4
I'm interested in if it could be submitted more or less as-is. The idea is to see if it meets the rules, since if it does there's no reason I wouldn't host it here. For me, having the mission just be a straight, direct continuity of the existing singleplayer and not a standalone is important. If it requires more than minor changes to be hosted here, that's no problem, I will host it elsewhere.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.