Reforged Is 1.31.1 still used or should I use the current versions?

Level 1
Just wondering if the prevalence of 1.31.1 holds integrity and if most of the content users make support such version.
My pc cant handle reforged and for personal preferences I am not very fond of it either. However, if new content in the future is not favorable to 1.31.1 then I wouldnt mind sacrificing my pc just to play the non reforged wc3 officially. I am just asking if compatible content by the community is still currently being made for 1.31.1 basically.

Level 15
My campaign updates (lord of the clans, day of the dragon, the last guardian) are for 1.31.1 and will likely remain like that for the foreseeable future. Making them for 1.32 would require some work I will probably not put in until end of 2021/2022.

Edit: for the long-term future, whether or not custom campaigns will ever be officially supported, I think it will indeed be better to prepare campaigns for 1.32+. This separation of the community via versions is hurting and it must stop.

Last edited:
Level 1
My campaign updates (lord of the clans, day of the dragon, the last guardian) are for 1.31.1 and will likely remain like that for the foreseeable future. Making them for 1.32 would require some work I will probably not put in until end of 2021/2022.

Edit: for the long-term future, whether or not custom campaigns will ever be officially supported, I think it will indeed be better to prepare campaigns for 1.32+. This separation of the community via versions is hurting and it must stop.

Yeah mostly my issues are with PC specs. Id like if downloading WC3 didnt come with reforged, but I guess I shall adapt to the circumstances. Although, godspeed to the people that still make content for such old version.

I will try out your campaign in the mean time now that youve mentioned it.

The problem with 1.31.1 is that save-loading is broken. Unit-specific events won't load after loading. Also, there are some problems with showing custom campaign buttons, wherefore it does not fit so well for custom campaigns. You cannot also play online games with it, since there is no longer battle.net support for it. So, what remains, is single player maps, which don't need save-loading (or which do not use unit-specific events).

1.32 does not support custom campaigns at all, though, and you cannot play any campaign maps, if the creator has used Campaign Imports or Campaign Object Data (not even by starting the maps from the editor). It supports online games, though, as there's Battle.net 2.0 support for it.

I prefer using 1.29.2 or 1.30.4 for custom campaigns, as they are mostly ok and do not have any major bugs. They just lack the new natives introduced in 1.31.

pyf

pyf

Level 29
Yeah mostly my issues are with PC specs. [...]
[...] This separation of the community via versions is hurting and it must stop.
I am pointing out that the system requirements have been increasing since 2016.

v1.27a dropped support for W98SE and W2000; plus Mac 10.9 and earlier
v1.27a now targets Direct3D9 (d3d9.dll) and the VC++ 2013 Runtime
v1.29.2 is the last version compatible with Windows XP (note: the last version compatible with Vista is still unknown afaik)
v1.30.0 has higher memory requirements (presumably because of CASC)
v1.31.0 now targets Direct3D11 (note: I am unsure that its D3D9 fallback mode really uses d3d9.dll)
v1.31.0 is not compatible with 32-bit Mac anymore
v1.31.0 dropped support for software TnL

Overall, the disk footprint from 1.27a to 1.31.1 has more than doubled. Presumably, the minimum original CPU requirements from 2002 have been increased as well.

In the future, Windows 7 SP1 support will get dropped, and Blizzard will definitively remove any 32-bit OS support from all their games.

Last edited:
Level 11
1.32 does not support custom campaigns at all, though, and you cannot play any campaign maps, if the creator has used Campaign Imports or Campaign Object Data (not even by starting the maps from the editor). It supports online games, though, as there's Battle.net 2.0 support for it.
I've idly toyed with the idea of trying to convert the Campaign data into custom slks and just importing them into every map, but never put it into practice because just thinking about that makes my head explode.

ED: Actually, this might warrant even a new thread. I just imported all the Campaign data (all of the "war3campaign.w3*" files in the base path of the campaign file) into one map (using MPQ Editor) and the game managed to read them. So maybe we're not AS screwed as we think we are.

Well, we are STILL screwed media-wise, but it seems like the data can be accessed.

I only got this idea while searching for an Object Merger tool and someone off-handily mentioned that doing that worked, so I had to try. The game seems to still look for the Campaign object data even if it has otherwise no way to access it.

Last edited: