• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Irate Pirates v0.9d

Reactions: Lordul Dracula
Irate Pirates! by givecake

The filthy, disgusting grog-guzzlers of Chastity cove have woken up from their hangovers. The vacant stare of one of the prominent louts absorbs the surroundings. The other pirates that washed up on these shores seem to have mobilised into a pathetic band of wannabe pond scum intent on claiming the isle for themselves. His stare shifts into a snarl, and with a surprisingly charismatic fart-burp, he raises his greasy flagon and with a deep, guttural shout roars for the lads to follow!

TAKE THE ISLE! HOARD THE GROGS! BED THE WENCHES!

------------------------------------------------------

Gameplay
As a fledgling pirate, you are caught up in a brawl between two factions. There are different things to do on the main island.

Main Island
1. Mini-games that determine your unique class. +Gold +XP
+Class Growth
2. Support your faction by joining their fights. Follow the lads to attack the other faction's louts, and ultimately their stinking hole of a shanty-town. +Gold +XP
3. Clear the island of naga threats. This allows access to the bigger isles, and you are likely to find item drops from these mobs. +Gold +XP +Items
4. Explore your town and find different ways to help the cause including hiring troops, elite troops, buying special items and recovering after a fight.
5. Hire hitmen to take out other players.
6. Claim the dragon's hoard in the centre. Keep your baby guardian safe, and he will grow in strength to defend the den and generate extra income for you. +Gold

The other islands
1. When you get at least 700 gold, you will be able to afford an outpost from the town quartermaster, standing by the docks, and a simple boat from the docks. You can then travel to the small islands and claim one for yourself! +Gold +Items

2. With your outpost, upgrade your ship and wage naval war against the other faction's ships. +Upgrades
3. Explore the other islands, and gain experience and items for your pirate. It is possible to gain unique allies from these islands at not a small cost. +Pets

------------------------------------------

If you enjoy the map, please rate and comment (honestly)!
I will only be posting new map versions to this page, and no other.

Please email me at givecake at gmail dot com for more information, help, advice with relationships, your faith, your cooking or anything else.
Thank-you.
Previews
Contents

Irate Pirates v0.9c (Map)

Irate Pirates v0.9d (Map)

Level 4
28th September - version 0.9
2nd October - version 0.9a
6th October - version 0.9b
7th October version 0.9c

12th October version 0.9d - Added material shop, lumber dump, fixes and balance changes.
Also fixed the multi-board problem, thanks to deepstrasz.

Last edited:
Level 23
Very interesting map, theme is well developed and used.
Personally, I thought the AOS aspect was the least interesting bit of it; and Im not if sure that aspect of the map works well with the other parts of it; the mini-games, the outpost building and naga slaying.
Don't take this the wrong way however, I genuinely enjoyed the pirate theme and how this map articulated it across in a way that was funny and enjoyable.

The biggest gripe I have, is that the instructions are only found via chat command. Would be nice if that information could also be found via quest-log.
From a more game design/balance perspective; I thought the choice to end minigames after the first few minutes was strange. I understand why you would want to do it from a balance perspective, however I also felt those side activities were the most interesting part of the map.
Because once that "phase" of the map ends, the actual AOS component begins. Thats alright; but the combat system isn't the strength of the map personally.

That said, I find the map to be high enough quality for approval regardless.
On a side note, I never found a use for Soiled Wenches.

TLDR Version
Review Version (v0.9) - 29/9/16

- AOS, with a side of mini-games and Naval Combat
- Combat system is probably not the map's greatest strength.
~ Map Approved

Level 4
Very interesting map, theme is well developed and used.
Personally, I thought the AOS aspect was the least interesting bit of it; and Im not if sure that aspect of the map works well with the other parts of it; the mini-games, the outpost building and naga slaying.
Don't take this the wrong way however, I genuinely enjoyed the pirate theme and how this map articulated it across in a way that was funny and enjoyable.

The biggest gripe I have, is that the instructions are only found via chat command. Would be nice if that information could also be found via quest-log.
From a more game design/balance perspective; I thought the choice to end minigames after the first few minutes was strange. I understand why you would want to do it from a balance perspective, however I also felt those side activities were the most interesting part of the map.
Because once that "phase" of the map ends, the actual AOS component begins. Thats alright; but the combat system isn't the strength of the map personally.

That said, I find the map to be high enough quality for approval regardless.
On a side note, I never found a use for Soiled Wenches.

I appreciate the time and effort you spent to play and review this, Kino. It means a lot and I'm thrilled you enjoyed it. I also appreciate the criticisms, and understand what you're saying. I would like to improve the AoS element, but I confess I did not spend a huge amount of time developing it. Any ideas or suggestions to improve it would be very welcome.

I too agree that the goals, objectives and help is not very well done. I tried to make it work, but in the end felt I needed to expose it to the player-base to get their specific critiques. I will think about how to put these into the quest log!

I went back and forth on the mini-games. I think I decided to put a time limit on them to encourage players to do that first and quickly, in order to 'choose' their class. By putting a stop to most of the games (a couple remain active throughout the game, like the spell-experimenting), I wanted to close the door on the class-stat system, locking people into classes. I felt this was important because you don't want people waiting too long to pick classes, because they'd go for hard counters for whatever the other team picked. But with fog of war, and a time limit, to know what the other team picked in a short time frame is not easy, therefore a little chance is injected into play. However, if you feel they are an interesting part of the map, I can consider keeping them active throughout, and simply removing the class-stat element of them after the timer expires.

If you have the time and will, I would appreciate any further critiques you might have.
Thanks!

cake

P.S. We know dragons love women, so we can put the brothel ladies to work by right-clicking the dragon.

Level 4
Hi Deepstrasz, thanks for your interest and help. Versions b and c now have information about the map in the quest log, but I am currently thinking about how to make it simpler/easier, so this information will likely change over the next couple of patches.

About purple's name, are you referring to a Multiboard error? I'll look into it, much appreciated!