• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Invisible Model(s) and Icon(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Hello everybody! :)

I hope you're having a great day, because I'm not. This modelling is giving me quite a headache. :(
Recently I've been making a map and I just can't seem to make some models and icons work.

Not all models and icons doesn't work for me. In fact, most are working fine, while some others just won't work. And no matter which path I choose from the Import Manager, the map shows me blanks instead of complete models and icons. I've been watching tutorials and doing exactly the same as shown and I'm still struggling at making it right.

For example, the "AnduinLothar.mdx" model and the "BTNAnduinLothar.blp" are the files I found inside the directory that I downloaded and used it and the results are shown on the screenshots. There are also two more files: "DISBTNAnduinLothar.blp" and "scorescreen-hero-anduinlothar.blp". I'm sure this model and icon works because I've seen it in some campaigns (the makers of "Tides of Darkness - Orc" and "Legacy of the Master" were using it for Lothar).

Now, as I previously mentioned, I've watched the tutorials, I've been scrolling through the Forum searching for anybody else who had a same issue and there were only a few answers. One that I remember correctly was a "path" that has to be used in order to fit the model with the icon, but I didn't understand how.

So, if anybody knows how to fix this problem and would be kind (and patient :con:) enough to explain me in details how to make this right, it'd be very appreciated. :)

P.S. I appologise to forum moderators if I chose a wrong section to post this thread.

Attachments

• bandicam 2020-09-20 01-14-59-874 (1).jpg
    bandicam 2020-09-20 01-14-59-874 (1).jpg
    695.3 KB · Views: 27
  • bandicam 2020-09-20 01-16-38-919 (4).jpg
    bandicam 2020-09-20 01-16-38-919 (4).jpg
    972 KB · Views: 33
  • bandicam 2020-09-20 01-16-51-754 (5).jpg
    bandicam 2020-09-20 01-16-51-754 (5).jpg
    462.2 KB · Views: 32
  • War3 2020-09-20 01-15-37-534 (2).jpg
    War3 2020-09-20 01-15-37-534 (2).jpg
    686 KB · Views: 32
  • War3 2020-09-20 01-15-47-032 (3).jpg
    War3 2020-09-20 01-15-47-032 (3).jpg
    407.7 KB · Views: 33
Level 23
For the icons, you should have 2 files with the paths:
  • ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\BTNAnduinLothar.blp
  • ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtonsDisabled\DISBTNAnduinLothar.blp

"scorescreen" file is for a small icon that can be used on the score screen of wc3, ie when a map is finished.

As for the model, You are right to change the path of the blp to:
lothar.blp

But you might have downloaded the wrong file originally or something messed up, since the original path should have been war3mapimported/Lothar.blp

and not "anduinlothar.blp".

Just a guess.

Level 23
also all of your imports are 0 kb, i highly suspect a corrupt file, since:
[Solved] - Many of my imports become 0 in size(kb) and become unusable
Well spotted, I did not even notice that. From what I have experienced though, a corrupt file just crashes the map, and doesn't affect other imported resources' sizes. The only time I experienced entire 0kb files is when I did lots of version switching or had multiple versions of Wc3 on a computer which somehow caused the issue, though this is just my own anecdotal evidence.

Level 11
also all of your imports are 0 kb, i highly suspect a corrupt file, since:
[Solved] - Many of my imports become 0 in size(kb) and become unusable
Yes, they are only 0kb, but they're all working perfectly. I don't know if they should all be set on 0kb or should have more. What's important is I've tested them all and only a few like this AnduinLothar.mdx are not working. By the way, maybe the files are set to 0kb because I've put them all in an unfinished map with no name.
From what I have experienced though, a corrupt file just crashes the map, and doesn't affect other imported resources' sizes. The only time I experienced entire 0kb files is when I did lots of version switching or had multiple versions of Wc3 on a computer which somehow caused the issue, though this is just my own anecdotal evidence.
It might be due to a corrupted model of Lothar that I downloaded that it doesn't work, but it does not cause my map to crash. As shown on the screenshots, it only makes blanks on the spots where a hero model should be put and doesn't make the map crash or impossible to open up in the Editor.

"scorescreen" file is for a small icon that can be used on the score screen of wc3, ie when a map is finished.

As for the model, You are right to change the path of the blp to:
lothar.blp

But you might have downloaded the wrong file originally or something messed up, since the original path should have been war3mapimported/Lothar.blp

and not "anduinlothar.blp".

Just a guess.
I understand, and it has those four files (BTN, DISBTN, scorescreen and .mdx). As for the path, I've been experimenting, looking for a way to fix it by changing path locations, so I've changed it. Originally it was set to "war3mapImported/Lothar.blp". I've changed it to "lothar.blp" because it makes a hero icon (top left corner of the game screen) green and blanked.

Level 23
BTN, DISBTN, scorescreen and .mdx
Maybe you should give the download links and the files from each link you take, since what you just wrote is a little confusing.

For Icons, you don't need to import everything in the file. If you have no intention of adding an icon to the score screen of the map, you don't need the "Scorescreen" file. Some icon files include "autocast" versions of the icons, which basically has those yellow lines around the icon to sparkle, like for bloodlust and fairy fire. If you don't want to use them, you don't need to import them.

The MDX and its corresponding blp file have nothing to do with the icon.

Level 11
Maybe you should give the download links and the files from each link you take, since what you just wrote is a little confusing.
Well, you said:

... so I'm telling you that I have the .BTN and .DISBTN files for heroes. I thought those two files are used for heroes:
1) .BTN to make the hero's icon standard, so that a player knows whether the hero is alive and;
2) .DISBTN to make the hero's icon black, so that a player knows whether the hero is dead.
The MDX and its corresponding blp file have nothing to do with the icon.
And now you got me confused again :D
For Icons, you don't need to import everything in the file. If you have no intention of adding an icon to the score screen of the map, you don't need the "Scorescreen" file. Some icon files include "autocast" versions of the icons, which basically has those yellow lines around the icon to sparkle, like for bloodlust and fairy fire. If you don't want to use them, you don't need to import them.
I do have intention to add a hero on the score screen at the end of the match. Yes, I noticed those little yellow lines symbolizing an autocast like Bloodlust, Slow, etc. So, I will only import them for spells, of course, and not for heroes.

Level 11
Ok, guys, here's an update of a situation. After almost all day of looking for a way to fix the paths of the icons and models that didn't work, I think I finally succeed. The answer lied right in front of my nose and I am so proud I spotted it before I completely lost my mind! :p All I had to do was to simply put a "path" to a correct path that developer used. For example, the icon for Doomhammer has two paths: ".BTN" and ".DISBTN". They both need to be imported and than put a correct path by using a "custom path" option.
Speaking about models, puting them in a right location, thus making it work, is explained by every developer under "How to Import this Model" link. I just needed to follow them closely in order to successfully make them work.
Now I can continue with my work on a map (and maybe a campaign if time permits ;) ). This is a great step for me, but I still have a lot to learn about map making, so I hope you guys won't get annoyed too much for explaining me simple things like with these paths in a near future :D
Anyway, thank you guys for a support and have yourselves a wonderful day. :)

Attachments

• bandicam 2020-09-21 02-08-44-632 1.jpg
    bandicam 2020-09-21 02-08-44-632 1.jpg
    430.2 KB · Views: 33
  • bandicam 2020-09-21 02-08-47-705 2.jpg
    bandicam 2020-09-21 02-08-47-705 2.jpg
    313.4 KB · Views: 21
  • bandicam 2020-09-21 02-12-41-355 3.jpg
    bandicam 2020-09-21 02-12-41-355 3.jpg
    488.3 KB · Views: 28
  • bandicam 2020-09-21 02-12-47-472 4.jpg
    bandicam 2020-09-21 02-12-47-472 4.jpg