• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Interconecting Maps with save load system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I had this idea a time ago thinking about not just to use the save load system for saving just the progress of one map but to conect two or many maps of different types and alternate the content.

As an example we have a dungeon crawler map (MapA) and a boss fighting map (MapB), now when you reach in MapA a certain point data got saved and as soon you load the MapB it looks for this data and alters the items you can acces in your shop for ones you carried in MapA and vise versa when you fight and lose against a boss in MapB it will appear in MapA on the next key point.

This whole idea is just hypothetically so any suggestions or feedback don't need to be easy to be made or even possible to be made.
But I would like to know what you think about this and for what you would use this idea also critisism is more then welcome.
I think the strongest contra point would be, why should you hide this content for many player who will never play the other game when you put so much effort in to creat it?
The answer my side would be I don't know- but I would like it to actually see the maps changing when I play different other types of maps and see linkings between and quotings of other maps content while playing it.

So I am highly interested in you thoughts and opinons please let me know what are you thinking about it.

Level 2
The main problem is...when you have your hardcore group which are really high lvl and just play MapB you can't really reach new players with this. Because only MapB is hosting. You know what i mean?

Level 12
This is not just hypothetically.
There are many maps that use similar thing for transition, both single & multi-player.
Although, only single-player campaigns would do it for small-er-ish boss fights/rooms.
Multiplayer ones would usually go for 1:1 size & content map transitions.

regards
-Ned

Level 6
It shouldn't be really transitions between maps like the rexxar campain more like achievements you could also just track how often you played a map and when you played it x times you trigger a different event on start.

Level 12
It shouldn't be really transitions between maps like the rexxar campain more like achievements you could also just track how often you played a map and when you played it x times you trigger a different event on start.

Plenty of maps using save/load for those purposes.
This is exactly what the system is intended for. (and more :) )

regards
-Ned

Level 6
That is exactly what I don't wanted to do I thought about overmap interactions beside the transfer of units items ability from one map to another...
More like you played the map 10 times (the amount is stored in local data) now a trigger spawns 10 instead of 5 creeps per wave...
Or you played a moba map wich stored its data there so you can enter a secret room where you can play a mini veraion of this map inside the dungeoncrawler...

More ideas that exactly don't just transfer unit a from map to map.

That is exactly what I don't wanted to do I thought about overmap interactions beside the transfer of units items ability from one map to another...
More like you played the map 10 times (the amount is stored in local data) now a trigger spawns 10 instead of 5 creeps per wave...
Or you played a moba map wich stored its data there so you can enter a secret room where you can play a mini veraion of this map inside the dungeoncrawler...

More ideas that exactly don't just transfer unit a from map to map.

There is currently no other way without 3rd party hacks.

Level 6
I think here is a small missunderstanding.
The Idea is to use the save and load system to save data that will on the map loading of different maps alternate the game content.
This is possible that is clear for me, the question is more for what kind of alternation would someone go.

Let's say I would ask all creator of famous hive maps to add to their maps on the winning condition that they save in the date that their map was won by the player.
Now I create a let's say tower defence and on load I check the data if Sunken City is won if yes I add the "sunken city fraction" on the load, then If Gaias RPG is won if yes I also make the "Gaias fraction" available for play and so on... Or I make a elemtal TD like and instead of the elemt bosses I have the Warden map bosses walking through the lines when the player played Warden untill the end.
It is more what mixing and matching of different maps and ideas would someone like to see or just think would be fun to have like having the last played dota hero as available hero in his monster fighter map ect.,
or when you died 100 times by a slide escape your hero in the next moba slides always instead of walking.

It's not about bringing unitA from mapA to mapB it's more you accomplished in mapA something this has impact in mapB, mapC, mapD and mapE.

I read your post as saying you don't want to have all your maps share the same object data. In order for the save code to work across multiple maps they must share the same object data, or you need to define a catalog for each map that can correspond with each other.

If you want something to happen once a player has played your map X number of times, you can simply store the amount of times a player has played the map in the save code.

Level 6
The question is not for the technical side(how would you do it?) it's for the game design side(what would you do?)
I am pretty sure how I would create this system but I would like for people to think about what can this system be used for beond the "normal" use.

The question is not for the technical side(how would you do it?) it's for the game design side(what would you do?)
I am pretty sure how I would create this system but I would like for people to think about what can this system be used for beond the "normal" use.

I see. I didn't notice this was in the Idea Factory.

You can look over at China's WC3 (netease) for ideas. Many of their RPGs have persistence features like daily quests or rewards. Although they use a custom version of WC3.

首页-魔兽争霸官方对战平台

Soon I am going to release a hostbot which allows for some of the same features as China.

Level 5
First off, a more streamelined save/load system that will probably work better for implementing this stuff by allowing strings of arbitrary length. Secondly, it depends on what you want as the "central" maps. To list some ideas largely at-random:

1. An RPG character could be loaded in as a mercenary, with costs based on how high level they are and how much gear they have.
2. Fortresses in defense maps could be imported as towns in RPGs, scaling stores and such based on the record of the fortress.
3. An altered melee or Risk-style map could define what is present in various areas based on the situation at the end of the game.

In particular, damage and resource expenditure tracking can be used to fine-tune the results. A berserker of a character who relies on obliterating the enemy before said enemy gets through their almost-nonexistent defenses, defined by extreme bursts in both directions, will end up with similar behavior as a mercenary, with low durability and high damage. A successful defense play that burns through enough resources on the map and spends enough of it on repairs shows up as a heavily damaged town surrounded by overharvested land. A rapid obliteration of a faction in an Altered Melee round seeds for the removal of that faction.

The biggest thing is that all such maps need to be cooperative, so that long-term players carry new ones, instead of stomping them into the dirt.

Level 6
You can look over at China's WC3 (netease) for ideas. Many of their RPGs have persistence features like daily quests or rewards. Although they use a custom version of WC3.
Thank you for this suggestion actually haven't thought at all to look in the asain comunity. Shame on me being so narrow minded.
I will definitly take a look in this site.
Also Thanks for your support and the systems you create. I have to say the level of your work blows my mind and I would never thought about being able to create such things but I'm happy and hyped to see what this engine is all capable about.

First off, a more streamelined save/load system that will probably work better for implementing this stuff by allowing strings of arbitrary length. Secondly, it depends on what you want as the "central" maps. To list some ideas largely at-random:
This is exactly the system I was thinking about check out my first post for this^^.
I like the Ideas you come up.
There is no given central maps, everyone can choose what kind of maps to conect themselfe, of course something with progression works better like an rpg.
I thought aswell about the coop vs pvp aspect, I think this would take a lot of balancing if someone would use this in a pvp scenario and it would be unfair to straight transfer the progress from one game to another so it has to unlock basic/normalized content of the same blance as the rest in the beginning like making something(A Hero, Item, ect.) available for all players in the game could help in this aspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.