• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Increasing Map Size & Cameras?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
I know the max size for map size is 256 x 256, but i've heard some people can alter it to be 356 x 356 or something. I would like to know if it is at all possible.

And another question, how can you make the camera be in a closer position to the character as well as lock.

And once it locks, if the player wants a new hero, and a trigger exists where it destroys his previous heroes, what is the trigger to make the camera change to the new one?

Any help is appreciated and rep'd. Thank you!

Level 7
  • Camera Trigger
  • Events:
  • Time - Elapsed game time is 0.00 seconds
  • Conditions:
  • Actions:
  • Camera - Set distance to target to value(100, 500 or whatever you want) over 0.00 seconds

Level 8
Camera trigger GUI action - a good deal of the features fall under this command:

• Camera - Set Player 1 (Red)'s camera [COLOR="Blue"]Distance [/COLOR]to target to 0.00 over 0.00 seconds
Double click the blue parts of that trigger, for instance distance can also be Far Z (the visible distance on your map), Angle of Attack (the angle of which the camera is pointed down or up) Height offset - how high the camera is off the ground, and a few others.

Mind I always - ALWAYS make one camera on my map that is my 'game camera' It is set the distance, ange of attack and height offset of my default game camera when I use a special camera for the game.

EXAMPLE:

• Camera
    • Events
      • Time - Every 2.00 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • -------- Zoomed in --------
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • Cam_Zoom Equal to 0.00
        • Then - Actions
          • Camera - Set Player 1 (Red)'s camera Distance to target to 3000.00 over 2.00 seconds
          • Camera - Set Player 1 (Red)'s camera Angle of attack to 329.00 over 2.00 seconds
          • Camera - Set Player 1 (Red)'s camera Far Z to 8000.00 over 0.00 seconds
        • Else - Actions
      • -------- Top Down --------
        • If - Conditions
          • Cam_Zoom Equal to 1.00
        • Then - Actions
          • Camera - Set Player 1 (Red)'s camera Distance to target to 1600.00 over 2.00 seconds
          • Camera - Set Player 1 (Red)'s camera Angle of attack to 333.00 over 2.00 seconds
          • Camera - Set Player 1 (Red)'s camera Height Offset to 300.00 over 2.00 seconds
        • Else - Actions
      • -------- This Game Default Camera --------
        • If - Conditions
          • Cam_Zoom Equal to 2.00
        • Then - Actions
          • Camera - Set Player 1 (Red)'s camera Distance to target to 3750.00 over 2.00 seconds
          • Camera - Set Player 1 (Red)'s camera Angle of attack to 270.00 over 2.00 seconds
        • Else - Actions
If you change the rotation via a trigger the camera will lock. Personally when it comes to changing rotation, or changing scenes I use camera objects and pan commands :

EXAMPLE:
  • Camera - Apply Game Cam view <gen> for Player 1 (Red) over 0.00 seconds
Game Cam view is a camera object.

You can lock a camera to where it remains in place and then pans following a unit via:
  • Camera - Lock camera orientation for Player 1 (Red) to (Triggering unit), offset by (0.00, 0.00)
and you can lock to a unit and the camera will move with the unit via:
  • Camera - Lock camera target for Player 1 (Red) to (Triggering unit), offset by (0.00, 0.00) using Default rotation
to kill it all and return to the regular game camera you would use:
  • Camera - Lock camera target for Player 1 (Red) to (Triggering unit), offset by (0.00, 0.00) using Default rotation
You can use that last giving it a 5 second pan and immediate set your camera parameters (going to my three part trigger).

For me setting which camera in the trigger Camera is done via a player chat message. 2 second delays means that the player can use the insert and the home keys to turn the camera and can use their mouse wheel, but after two seconds the camera will pan back out to what I have it set for.

If this is a hero selection station on your map you might want to use camera objects to zoom into and out of the area. (Apply camera object timed) This way you will get the same results time after time, if you are leaving it up to the player the camera may zoom into areas you do not want zoomed in.

You can only kill, remove, replace or explode a unit, you may not destroy it ;) Explode and kill are the same things when you are relating to other triggers.

Perhaps you should kill the unit and use the event
  • Unit - A unit Dies
OR you can use what ever trigger it is you used to 'destroy' the unit to trigger the additional camera(s).

Increasing Map Size: an all around bad idea. There is a good reason why epic is the largest size map by default, all of the units, doodads, terrain, pathing, blah have an impact on computer resources - the larger the map, the more stuff in it, the more processing the map has to do. Things like high poly doodads will eat up even more resources.

A ground view camera (behind the unit, RPG camera) will have a lot more to process and the game will slow down - have an area covered in shrubs and flowers the game could slow to a crawl - here only more is being seen by the camera - yet it has a huge impact.

If this is a single player map you may do better by connecting several maps together via transitions: Transitions Among Campaign Maps

If this is a multiplayer map, hosting will require a smaller map size - in this I do not mean the area of the map, but the amount of data stored within the map how many megabytes it is - a larger than epic map will use more bytes.

If this is a multiplayer map you may do better by slightly shrinking your units and some of the doodads. Things like trees, rocks, rock chunks, blah will still work if you only reduce the size of units by 1/4 anything greater than that and you will have to shrink a lot more.

Shrinking is rather easy, you can do it by a trigger, using:

• Animation - Change (Last created unit)'s size to (75.00%, 75.00%, 75.00%) of its original size
and

• Animation - Change (Last created unit)'s animation speed to 75.00% of its original speed
You can set that up for spawned (created) units, for trained units, for constructed units - the neat thing is that the game will automatically scale other aspects of units so you do not have to go in and manually adjust all the unit objects. Except for hard pathing for buildings. BUT buildings are rather small to begin with, smaller living units mesh rather well with bigger buildings.

For placed units you would use:

• Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units in Cine Village <gen> owned by Player 5 (Yellow)) and do (Actions)
    • Loop - Actions
      • Animation - Change (Picked unit)'s size to (75.00%, 75.00%, 75.00%) of its original size
Or variations there of depending on your needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.