• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Trigger] Improving the Trigger Editor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hey there, I'm working on a project that is about making WC3-like custom maps, and I've just started work on a script editor. As inspiration, I'm studying the SC2/WC3 trigger editor and trying to see how it can be improved, mainly how to make it easier to work with.

I'm interested in feedback from anyone with experience working with the trigger editor - I've listed some specific questions below, but please feel free to write whatever comes in mind:
  1. In general, what do you like and dislike about the trigger editor?
  2. Is it useful to have the actions etc be spelled out in English in the bottom of the editor? (E.g. "Order (Triggering Unit) to (Move hither and dither)" etc).
  3. Are you often surprised by the outcome of a script, i.e. it not doing what you expected?
  4. When a script does not work the way you want, are there enough tools and help to debug it?
  5. Do you feel limited by what the editor can do?
  6. Would you rather see a whole different approach to making scripts, for example a node-based editor like Unreal Engine's blueprints? (Extra interesting if you've used them both!)
Grateful for any answers, long or short! And I hope this is not too off-topic for this forum, otherwise please point me in the right direction :D

Level 4
Heya!
1. Likes: Now has native vJASS support
Dislikes: No syntax highlighter (yet)

Alright, as in inline scripting in addition to creating triggers?

2. Sort of (yes and no, no for localization and yes for inherent language setting: English)

Do you mean that the localization is bad? It seems like a useful feature for non-english speakers.

In this endeavor, I would recommend collaborating with eejin in the making of Hive WE, instead of starting from scratch.

I might just check it out, but I'm not making an editor that makes maps for WC3, but a separate game/engine that has similar features.

Alright, as in inline scripting in addition to creating triggers?
No. What I was referring to is something
like TESH for creating snippets of JASS code.

Do you mean that the localization is bad?
No. Answer's based on context of the question, supporting localization.

Is it useful to have the actions etc be spelled out in English in the bottom of the editor? (E.g. "Order (Triggering Unit) to (Move hither and dither)" etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.