• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Importing Problem (Probably Simple)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
[UNSOLVED] [MOVED]
I have a small problem when I try to use a certain model. I am new to using models, and have been searching for the answer for a while. Its probably simple... :/

Error: 'Could not load file: Garfish.mdl' (Incase its simple, so you don't need to read below)

Whats happened:
Recently, I downloaded a model called the Garfish from Garfish Light Cruiser - The Hive Workshop - A Warcraft III Modding Site. Now. I've imported it all into a map, and renamed the imports to the right names (names in link). Now all I get is the error.

159014-albums964-picture11426.jpg
- Error

159014-albums964-picture11425.jpg
- Import Manager

159014-albums964-picture11427.jpg
- War3Viewer
There are some textures that the viewer shows that do not come with the model zip, but it says they are not required on the linked page of the model.

I'd be thankful for any help to shed light on my problem. As said above I am new, and this could very simple, and all this text and these pictures could be pointless. But, I thought I would show everything to be safe. Cheers :D

PS: Sorry for V.Large pics. Didn't think they would turn out like that D:)

Last edited:
Level 4
hmm...dunno whats happening there, i checked the textures and texturepathes and they seem to be okay!

you did restart your map inbetween hopefully?

I restarted it many many times. Too many. I've been trying again this morn, but to no avail...

NOTE: See the Zap1b.blp? Apparently it takes 0 KB. Maybe it hasn't downloaded right?

Level 4
Update: I re-downloaded the model zip, deleated the old one, and retried. But it still dosn't work, so it MUST be something wrong that im doing. If anyone could find what im doing wrong in the pics, please tell me.

Level 4
Is there a _ at garfish_hangar?

Yep, tried it with an underscroll several times. Still dosn't work.

@The_wand_mirror: If I use all the textures (even uneeded ones), would that stop the model from working? Personally I wouldn't think so, but may as well try it.

{EDIT}
Is there anyone about that are adept with using models, that can see/know the problem, or should I give up? xD

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 12
You really shouldn't double post. Just as a precaution, you read the readme, right? If one came with it, that is. Sometimes the readme's in the folder state something that isn't stated on the site. I've seen it once.

If you have read it, just ignore me. Either way, hope you figure it out.

Level 9
why not trying to replace backslash with slash?!
I think that's the reason your models are not working.
So, try replacing "\" with "/" in the custom path.
If this ain't solve your problem it's bad.

Level 12
Good idea, sadvisor. I didn't even think of that o_O

But yeah, that's a great idea. If that doesn't work, let me know, I'll look at it myself and try and see what's wrong.

Level 4
why not trying to replace backslash with slash?!
I think that's the reason your models are not working.
So, try replacing "\" with "/" in the custom path.
If this ain't solve your problem it's bad.

You made me hopeful for a minute xD
But it didn't work. I have other models working with the '\' anyways. It was a good idea though... :)

Level 12
DRAT! And I thought it could work too. I even rep'd him for the idea, lol.

Well, it was a good attempt. I'll look at it myself tomorrow probably and check out whats up with it with my own eyes.

Seeing is believing.

Then I may be able to help further.

Level 12
Oh, I had a hell of a time with imports when I was trying to make my campaign. Only later did I find out (200 imports later) that they have to be imported directly into the Campaign Editor's Import Manager. Do you have any idea how much of a pain in the ass it was to go 1 by 1 and remove over 200 imports from a map, then upload them again and fix all the pathing over again?

It quite literally almost brought me to tears. So I have some sympathy with import issues, xD

Also, tyvm, ^^

Level 4
Oh, I had a hell of a time with imports when I was trying to make my campaign. Only later did I find out (200 imports later) that they have to be imported directly into the Campaign Editor's Import Manager. Do you have any idea how much of a pain in the ass it was to go 1 by 1 and remove over 200 imports from a map, then upload them again and fix all the pathing over again?

It quite literally almost brought me to tears. So I have some sympathy with import issues, xD

Also, tyvm, ^^

Jeez, the problem im having is annoying me quite a bit. But that one sounds like a trip to hell and back :D Lol

Level 9
ok look at this picture. Thats what "Warcraft 3 Viewer" says.

Since i don't see any "star5tga.blp" or "Clouds8x8Fire.blp" in your import manager, i have another (maybe useless again) guess:

You do not have the required textures, and that's the reason the model is not working...i think.

Attachments

• Capture22.JPG
    Capture22.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Level 12
Another good idea by Sadvisor. I'll wait for you to try that before I look at it myself (Since I'm assuming thats what he did, and I will find the same results).

Level 12
Try to put a prefix Textures/ on .blp files

Way to get your post count up.

If you had looked at the picture in the first post, you'd notice that every .blp in there had "Textures\" at the start of it. And previously we mentioned changing the "\" to "/" and it did not work.

Level 4
ok look at this picture. Thats what "Warcraft 3 Viewer" says.

Since i don't see any "star5tga.blp" or "Clouds8x8Fire.blp" in your import manager, i have another (maybe useless again) guess:

You do not have the required textures, and that's the reason the model is not working...i think.

(Found in the advanced options)
Path
Required
Included
Textures\Garfish.blp
Yes
Yes
Textures\Garfish_Hangar.blp
Yes
Yes
Textures\Zap1b.blp
No
Yes
Textures\EnergyGlow_Red.blp
Yes
Yes
Textures\star5tga.blp
No
No
Textures\Clouds8x8Fire.blp
No
No
Textures\EnergyGlow_Blue.blp
Yes
Yes
Textures\Explosion_Blue.blp
Yes
No
Textures\Explosion_Red.blp
Yes
Yes

Thanks for the suggestion, but it says it isn't required. Still, I used war3 Viewer and got the files, and tried them. But it still dosn't work. :confused:

Level 12
Sorry, but I cannot look at it tonight, lol.

But my suggestion is now to get rid of all the unnecessary textures as one may be causing the issue.

(Off-Topic): It's hard to go from a chat where you mingle multiple languages together to talk with people to a site where you cannot have any language but English and not make a mistake, lol. Especially when you mingle the languages together when you speak as well. Just glad I caught it before the mods did. o.o

Last edited:
Level 3
i have an idea too, maybe totally useless, but:

on the two pics u have loaded up, the editor says "couldnt load up garfish.mdl", but at the import-manager theres not a file with this name, its "garfish.mdx", maybe the problem lies with the wrong ending?

Level 9
firedrake2222, could you tell me where i can find "star5tga.blp" and "Clouds8x8Fire.blp", because i want to try something.
Maybe you can attach them in a post.

Level 4
star5tga.blp & Clouds8x8Fire.blp were found by extracting them from Garfish.mdx. The textures are attached, so you don't have to do that ;).

@pflasti: Thanks for the idea, but I've already tried that. I think the 'mdl' just stands for model, so its pretty much saying "couldn't load: Garfish model".

Attachments

• Clouds8x8Fire.blp
    147.9 KB · Views: 47
  • star5tga.blp
    6.4 KB · Views: 88
Level 12
Fixed

I FIGURED OUT WHAT IS WRONG!!!!!

It really was very simple.

What you did wrong was click "Use Custom Path" for "Garfish.mdx"

Unclick that so it reads "war3mapImported\Garfish.mdx" again and you should be fine.

Good Luck, and I'm happy to say that this is your solution.

If it's not, then you need to remove all of the "optional" stuff because I only imported the "Required" parts.

Level 12
Ahh sorry to say this Vizel, but I don't think that's the solution xD
A model doesn't need custom paths, I've never (as what i can remember) been fixing model paths.

I can't see the solution of this. I will try to import the model later on, see if I can make it work. Gl ^^

You completely misunderstand. He already has the model file in a custom path of "Garfish.mdx" He got rid of the "war3mapImported\" at the start. When I put it back (Unchecked the Custom path box), it showed up in the map perfectly.

Level 4
I FIGURED OUT WHAT IS WRONG!!!!!

It really was very simple.

What you did wrong was click "Use Custom Path" for "Garfish.mdx"

Unclick that so it reads "war3mapImported\Garfish.mdx" again and you should be fine.

Good Luck, and I'm happy to say that this is your solution.

If it's not, then you need to remove all of the "optional" stuff because I only imported the "Required" parts.

I really wish it was the solution. I set it to war3mapImported\Garfish.mdx, and removed the uneeded textures. It didn't work. Hoping, I removed the texutres/ text from all the textures. Still didn't work. I even tried it with war3mapImported text infront of the textures. No cigar. :'(

Prehaps its something wrong with my pc? Although other models work...

Prehaps we should just give up... :/

Level 12
I don't know what to tell you. Try removing them and importing them again, perhaps. I just don't know what to tell ya, mate.

Sorry I couldn't help, :(

Level 4
I don't know what to tell you. Try removing them and importing them again, perhaps. I just don't know what to tell ya, mate.

Sorry I couldn't help, :(

I have removed/reimported. Even deleated the zip and redownloaded it. Still nothing Dx

that's like the most bizzare problem i've ever seen. The model seems not to work whatever you try.
It has something against me :'(

Level 3
@firedrake:

it may sound very simple and kinda silly maybe, but when i was new in importing models, i had a similar problem, because after importing stuff, i closed the map and opened it again, but nothing worked. After a few days i found out, that some of them worked perfect, when i closed the whole editor and opened it again.

you probably did this, but if not, its a try ;)

Level 7
every approved model i use does that... every single one not 1 model on this website works. (for me) i need help.. I posted help but i cant find my post T_T so help me plz

Status
Not open for further replies.