• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Importing: Pathing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Could someone tell me a shortcut on paths? There are an ocean of awesome skins on this site, but only a fraction have paths listed...is there a shortcut, or do I need to get the path from everyone who made a skin?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as you people know what you're doing, and I'm just beginning to learn.

Thank you.

Level 2
I've gotten two skins to work, but one of them I simply did Textures\BloodEf-SpellThief.blp or whatever the string was. Is Textures\ interchangeable with Units\race\name\name.blp ?

Still having issues...like that awesome human-looking Headhunter skin done by Shockwave? I put Units\orc\Headhunter\Headhunter.blp in the Import path, then I go to the unit and click Custom under Model File, and I enter Units\orc\Headhunter\Headhunter.blp and all it does is change the .blp to .mdl, and it doesn't do anything but look normal.

:(

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Ehmm then you are talking about models. It's hard to explain it here, but if you import .mdl/.mdx files leave the path alone. The skins for the model, is other history. And about skins, there is no textures history in skins. Like you said, it's just units/race/unitname/unitname.blp . More examples?

units/orc/grunt/grunt.blp
units/human/rifleman/rifleman.blp

It's simple.

~I sent you a PM~

-Rui

Level 13
Err, no, it's not Rui. The skin path can very easily be something totally different, especially with regard to custom made models, and the path you specified will only work on models that specify that path.

Satanstryfe, in order to figure out the path of a skin you have to figure out which model in warcraft III it is based off of. So, if you have a skin that fits a demon hunter, then the skin's path would be the same as the game's skin path for the demon hunter. In order to find out the game's skin path you have to download Warcraft 3 Viewer, and in the textures window find the skin path. If the skin is for a custom model it's path is shown on the page describing the model (on this site).

Level 2
Downloaded the viewer...now how do I get the path once I've loaded something? I saw a screen shot that says Arborescence or something, but how do I get there?

Thanks for the help by the way--I really appreciate it.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Err, no, it's not Rui. The skin path can very easily be something totally different, especially with regard to custom made models, and the path you specified will only work on models that specify that path.

No no oz02, sorry if I was confusing. I know that the models' skins use different path from all others, and only fit in that ones. Then I talked about skins, I guess I was a bit confusing.
But why you say we need to download war3viewer? The skins' path are also there when the model is submited.~

-Rui

Level 13
Sure, most times the skin paths are listed up there, but sometimes Darky's script is buggy, or the guy that downloaded the model doesn't look at the listed paths at all. WC3 Viewer is the easiest way to check the skin-path of a mdl/mdx-file.

Level 22
RIght click on its name, it will bring up a "show used textures" option. Just select that and It will bring up all the file paths the model uses. The skin path is the only important one.

When you upload a skin with the intent of replacing an existing one, make sure the skin file name matches the onle in the file path (for example, dont give "BloodOrc.blp" the file path of "units/orc/grunt/grunt.blp"...you would need to rename the file "Grunt.blp." Only then will the skin replace the ones arealy in-game.
-VGsatomi

Status
Not open for further replies.