• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Importing Models

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
So, this is my first time ever importing models. So I tried to import this model into my map.

I removed the "war3mapImported/" from the file name, and attempted to change out the model file on one of my hero units from TerranMarine to the custom model, but it said "model could not be loaded" and it's a big green and black box.

Also, the profile for the model mentions paths for skins and such, but I have no skin or portrait files for the model.

I have no clue what to do. Model importing is kinda confusing me right now.

Level 32
The Hive Workshop > Warcraft III Tutorials > 3D Modeling Tutorials > How to Import Custom Models is helpful as a general guide.

The Villager Marine model requires no custom textures or file paths:

1. Import the model.
  2. Leave the path set to war3mapImported\VillagerMarine.mdx.
  3. Apply the model to a unit in WE's object Editor.
  4. Save the map.
  5. Exit Word Editor.
  6. Restart World Editor and test the map.

Level 5
Ahhh see I assumed it required a custom skin because I am only using it because I don't want some old by to be the marine, which since the game is in First Person view, any other players in the game would see an old guy as their team mates/enemies.

Ok I'm hoping it'll work now.

I reset the path and it STILL doesn't work.

Should I delete all of the units I'm applying it to before trying to load it?

Level 5
Now, how do attach a skin to a model file? I have a Med Pack item but it has both a model and a skin file. Same with the Stim Pack. I loaded them in the same way, left the path to the default for it, but I don't know how to tell the game to load the model with the skin.

Level 32
For models hosted here at The Hive all required texture paths will be displayed in

RED TEXT

on the model's download page. Those skins are mandatory and must be imported into the map and pathed exactly as indicated on the page.

Other texture files NOT show in red are in-game skins: the war3.mpq files already contain them; they need not be imported or pathed (although sometimes they are included with the file archive).

.mdx files themselves NEVER need file paths and should always remain war3mapImported\modelname.mdx

Level 5
For models hosted here at The Hive all required texture paths will be displayed in

RED TEXT

on the model's download page. Those skins are mandatory and must be imported into the map and pathed exactly as indicated on the page.

Other texture files NOT show in red are in-game skins: the war3.mpq files already contain them; they need not be imported or pathed (although sometimes they are included with the file archive).

.mdx files themselves NEVER need file paths and should always remain war3mapImported\modelname.mdx

Well, pardon my language, but wth is with everyone saying OMG REMOVE war3mapImported PATH OR U DIE! Crap? I do that with my custom models and it works fine, same with my skins and textures.

Level 32
wth is with everyone saying OMG REMOVE war3mapImported PATH
Removing the default import path and replacing it with the model's exact custom texture path is always necessary for models that use such skins: models using in-game skins don't need custom paths.

:grin:

See, the problem is it's HOSTED here but the full file isn't in the downloads section. Bits and pieces are, but not all of them combined, and not the one I need.
Alas, not all of the models have been tested and approved. Some of the old imported models are pure junk: if you get your hands on one of those it may very well contain bugs that prevent it from functioning. If you see Werewulf's name (or mine) in a model submission thread, you can bet that the resource itself is reliable.

If you can paste the URL(s) into this thread, I will check out the questionable models to see if they work properly.

Level 5
I'm sure they work. I'm using the Konstrukt pack. But only the guns and the marines are submitted, the pack was bundled and linked to in a thread by the creator for his project. I don't have a link :/

Level 32
A quick search reveals that you are not the first person to experience difficulties with those models.

I have never tested them so I can't vouch for their stability. If I ever stumble across them I will pay close attention to their capabilities and limitations.

As a general rule, models' texture paths may be determined using Warcraft III Viewer

Simply open a model file and select Current File > Show Used Texture Names and a list of required textures (and their correct paths) will then be displayed.

Status
Not open for further replies.