• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Import] Importing Models with custom skins. Help, please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
I downloaded a model, and modified it a bit. I also modified the skins, 3 of them. I use the magos model editor. BUT, when I import it to my map, the model appears as a checkred square. How do I fix this? :/

Restart WE

Restart WE

Restart WE

Honestly these replies were to be expected. People, you just have to import the model(with the allocated skins if it's the case), save the map and see the changes instantly without the need to restart the editor p_*

I downloaded a model, and modified it a bit. I also modified the skins, 3 of them. I use the magos model editor. BUT, when I import it to my map, the model appears as a checkred square. How do I fix this? :/

Question is about those textures now.
Change as in a simple swap between in-game ones allocated for the model's materials or change as in stuff colored with Photoshop?
If it's the later, have you imported those custom textures and saved the map to see the changes?

Think about it.

Level 8
I'm not amateur in importing, I'm amateur in modeling and texturing.

Honestly these replies were to be expected. People, you just have to import the model(with the allocated skins if it's the case), save the map and see the changes instantly without the need to restart the editor p_*

Question is about those textures now.
Change as in a simple swap between in-game ones allocated for the model's materials or change as in stuff colored with Photoshop?
If it's the later, have you imported those custom textures and saved the map to see the changes?

Think about it.

What I did, was change a bit the textures with a program similar to photoshop. And now that I notice, the model appears all black when I open it again in the magos' model editor, and works again as soon as I re-import one of the custom skins I modified. (Not even all of them, just one)

Help with this also, please? I guess this is why it appears as a checkred square in the w3we.

What paths do these skins use? Usually it appears black in Magos if the model misses allocated skins and the correct textures path are not set accordingly.
Correct again, it appears as a green-violet checkered cube in editor and invisible in-game(most of the time) if that model has missing textures that either haven't been imported or the texture paths are set incorrectly.

Now, you can either check the paths for those textures using Magos's Texture Manager or this program.

Level 8
What paths do these skins use? Usually it appears black in Magos if the model misses allocated skins and the correct textures path are not set accordingly.
Correct again, it appears as a green-violet checkered cube in editor and invisible in-game(most of the time) if that model has missing textures that either haven't been imported or the texture paths are set incorrectly.

Now, you can either check the paths for those textures using Magos's Texture Manager or this program.

I created 3 new archives for the custom textures (exporting them from the custom model), called Sorceress A, Sorceress B, and Sorceress C, all modified slighly from the original textures. The first one based on the chaplain skin, the second on the blonde villager skin, and the third on the sorceress skin.

After that, I set the textures to where they go in the material manager, and deleted the old ones. The new skins where imported from just as they are written. "Sorceress A, Sorceress B, Sorceress C". Did I do anything wrong until here?

Problem solves, thanks everyone.

-board closed-

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.