• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

importing model file types?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Call me daft... but i can't seem to work out how to import mdx or mdl files into Gmax? I'm a bit of a newb at modelling.... Could someone explain to me how to import the blizzard mdx files so that i can start creating... i believe there might be a tutorial on this if someone can point me in the right direction.... and i still don't know what is exactly different between mdx and mdl? Cheers......

Level 1
Whooooo.....OK.......
First of all i just downloaded a heap of file converters ... from ndx into almost anything...OK... i now know the differences between mdx and mdl.... ummmmm.... i can't get any of the converters to convert into any proper file.... they all seem to work OK.... But i'm a bit confused because i still can't open any of them in gmax... including 3ds files? what am i doing wrong... i keep getting an error message in gmax reading an improper file format? do i need to import textures blp into bitmaps? Has anybody got a simple method to extract files and import them into gmax, using only a few programs? Please.... someone answer me and end this nightmare of persistant errors?

Level 1
MDX IMPORTER/EXPORTER NOT WORKING

oK.... i'VE RECENTLY MOVED UP IN THE WORLD OF FILE TYPES ... I'm dissapionted that NOBODY... has replied at ALL.... But anyway... I've got the MDX Importer/exporter for Gmax.... But it doesn't seem to want to run.... I'm 25 and i KNOW that i've followed all the instructions to a tee.... but when i run the script from maxscript... nothing happens... i'm supposed to get a rollout option allowing for the importer/exporter but it just doesn't appear.... has anybody else had this problem? Anyway.... Come on..... Somebody reply..... I 'm getting very dis-heartened by this silence......

Level 13
You clicked Run Script, chose mdximpexp.mse, clicked MDX Importer/Exporter on the Utilities thing:

gmax.jpg

scrolled down, and it wasn't there?

Level 1
mdx importer/exporter

I think we are getting mixed up with termanolgy of 'rollout'... but thanks for bearing with me oz02... In the utilities tab... YES... the small rollout with 'mdx importer/exporter' label DOES appear... so one must assume that the script is running fine... and it's my inability with the program that is faulty... What i thought would appear is an options rollout with all the mdx importer/exporter options... where do i find this after running the script? It's not in the utilites tab and double clicking on the little title rollout doesn't do anything... So my question is... Where do i access the mdx importer/exporter options after running the script... Thanks again... and thank you more for repling...
cheers JoJo :D

Status
Not open for further replies.