• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Importing Models into GMax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Info
Your going to need to download a maxscript. Im using afew right now, mainly a .3ds importer and the dex exporter. I make my models in blender and export them to gmax for rigging,skinning, and animating.

What you want to do is look up *gmax script importer <obj>* switch <obj) with .3ds or whatever in google and download a script. might have to change wording around.

Step by Step
1. Download importmdx.mse
2. Cut and past importmdx.mse to scripts folder in Gmax
3. Run gmax and click on Maxcript top right.
4. Click on Run Script...
5. Select importmdx.mse and open
6. Restart Gmax
7. Run Gmax and go to the ultilities tab (top right, looks like a hammer)
8. Click on the Maxscript bottom at the way bottom
9. Scroll down and click on Run Script
10. Click Run script and select importmdx.mse and open
11. Click the arrow in the drop down menu and then select Kingping.Mdx Importer.
12. Scroll down and click on importer MDX button
13. Select model and open

I think i ran into problems with this script saying that the mdx file wasnt a mdx file but i know my .3ds script works so as long as you have a working script and know how to use it then it should work. Hope it helps

Level 7
I would but my main comptuters hard-drive got thrashed acouple days ago. Im running on an older comp till i get my newer comp re-imaged. Only thing i can think of is to try google for now. I'll give it afew shots but i wasnt able to find the same page as before from yesterday.

Info
Your going to need to download a maxscript. Im using afew right now, mainly a .3ds importer and the dex exporter. I make my models in blender and export them to gmax for rigging,skinning, and animating.

What you want to do is look up *gmax script importer <obj>* switch <obj) with .3ds or whatever in google and download a script. might have to change wording around.

Step by Step
1. Download importmdx.mse
2. Cut and past importmdx.mse to scripts folder in Gmax
3. Run gmax and click on Maxcript top right.
4. Click on Run Script...
5. Select importmdx.mse and open
6. Restart Gmax
7. Run Gmax and go to the ultilities tab (top right, looks like a hammer)
8. Click on the Maxscript bottom at the way bottom
9. Scroll down and click on Run Script
10. Click Run script and select importmdx.mse and open
11. Click the arrow in the drop down menu and then select Kingping.Mdx Importer.
12. Scroll down and click on importer MDX button
13. Select model and open

I think i ran into problems with this script saying that the mdx file wasnt a mdx file but i know my .3ds script works so as long as you have a working script and know how to use it then it should work. Hope it helps

I can't find what drop down menu you mean, I did everything else.

Level 7
Its just that little box below the word Ultilities with the Run Script ontop. Click in it and select script once you've run script from the button above. If u just run script it wont show the new menu, u have to click in the little blank box and select it in blue. Then below u can scroll down and use the script. I would prt scrn but my prt-scrn button is being stubborn.

Level 7
Glad to hear it =). For it not importing animations+bones, im not sure really. I've never tried re-importing a finished model in mdx form back into gmax or from the wc3 directory.

Best bet for now is to wait and see if someone else thats familiar with that comment. I'll try some things but I think thats as far as I can get you.

Status
Not open for further replies.