• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Import/asset manager types

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
So I'm trying to import an icon into the editor, and some new stuff I've imported has the 'other' type, instead of an image/texture or a model. Problem is I've changed the path the icon is set at, and go to set the model with the icon, but the icon isn't there. So how do I get it to read the 'other' type, or convert it to image/texture? Thanks.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Not sure what you mean by "'other' type".

If you mean DDS vs BLP then both are interchangeable. Warcraft III will look for DDS textures at a BLP file path by substituting the file suffix.

If you mean MDX vs BLP/DDS then both are incompatible and cannot be made compatible. Model data is fundamentally different from textures and so makes no sense when their use case is swapped.

Level 9
Not sure what you mean by "'other' type".

If you mean DDS vs BLP then both are interchangeable. Warcraft III will look for DDS textures at a BLP file path by substituting the file suffix.

If you mean MDX vs BLP/DDS then both are incompatible and cannot be made compatible. Model data is fundamentally different from textures and so makes no sense when their use case is swapped.
In the new import manager, one of the things listed at the top is type. If you select that, you can choose to filter, selecting model, image/texture, other, etc. My new stuff I'm importing has the 'other' tag now, and not model, or image. So when I go to replace something, like the game icon, the ones that are in that 'other' tag aren't there

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
In the new import manager, one of the things listed at the top is type. If you select that, you can choose to filter, selecting model, image/texture, other, etc. My new stuff I'm importing has the 'other' tag now, and not model, or image. So when I go to replace something, like the game icon, the ones that are in that 'other' tag aren't there
You sure their file path ends with the correct file prefix? You might need to post a demonstration map so people can poke at the problem you are having.

Level 9
You sure their file path ends with the correct file prefix? You might need to post a demonstration map so people can poke at the problem you are having.
DDS files seem to not work if you want to select it from the drop down menu. The icons I'm importing are in dds format. I make the path as ReplaceableTextures, and just the name, deleting the war3campimported, and I still can't select it in the drop down to change the icon. Even changing the dds to blp doesn't work. So how am I supposed to change icons?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
You sure the icons are correctly formatted? They are expected to be either DXTC1 or DXTC5 if I recall. DDS supports a lot of different formats.

Be aware that only the current version of Warcraft III supports DDS. Legacy versions, such as used by pirates or people playing older custom games, do not.

Level 9
You sure the icons are correctly formatted? They are expected to be either DXTC1 or DXTC5 if I recall. DDS supports a lot of different formats.

Be aware that only the current version of Warcraft III supports DDS. Legacy versions, such as used by pirates or people playing older custom games, do not.
I have no idea. I just downloaded the files and imported them. I do have the latest version of Warcraft 3.

Here's a campaign with one of the icons I downloaded and imported. It's the battle captain unit in the custom units I'm trying to change. The icons are in the campaign import manager with the night elf captain file name.

Attachments

• Redone FT Night Elf Campaign.w3n
    40.5 MB · Views: 13
Status
Not open for further replies.