• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] Imago's "Curse of the Horde" (Working title)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Orcs and Desert - "Curse of the Horde" (Imago_)

Curse-of-the-Horde_splash.png

Map Info

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello pals. It's been quite a while since my last activity. I'm excited to announce the current Project of Imago_.
(For those who might be interested he's the one I support while he does the job. For further information check the signature.)

I'll add some description, details, further screenshots (see attachments) and eye-candy-graphics step by step.
It's still a lot to do but feel free to give constructive criticism and suggestions.

If you want to start the game look for "Desert Stories".
Oh, and let me give you three words along with you:

Orcs and Desert
going crazy in a further lovely made rpg world made by Imago_.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Features

01-Terrain.png
A beautiful designed Terrain
Enjoy the atmosphere and area as every corner was designed with love.
We set camera panning for different areas – each in its own angle, too.

02-Custom-Map.png
Customised Map
Customised stats, models, skins, music, spells, sounds and much more.
It contains everything that was needed to create an exciting desert area.

03-Multi.png
Multiplayer Mode
Grab a friend and get some snacks! This adventure RPG is for up to 2P.
You can still manage it without backup by choosing a fitting difficulty.

04-Difficulty.png
Difficulty Selection
Choose if you want to play easy, normal or hard and with up to 10 lifes.
The harder the difficulty the more creeps may lurk around unseen.

05-Gameplay.png
Scripted Gameplay Events
Beware of falling rocks, desert storms, crushing thunder and much, much
more environmental improvements to maximize your gameplay feeling.

06-Spells.png
Scripted Spells
Your heroes spells fit a certain set of skills so they work well combined.
Each adventurer has its own kit – make sure to find out your favourite.

07-Boss.png
Scripted Bossfights
As the heroes each Boss has its own pattern of actions and appearance.
You should rather fight wisely because else your journey may end deadly.

08-Item.png
Item- and Inventory System
Your Itemslots are limited. Once an Item is picked up it gets equipped.
- 1 Mainhand, 1 Offhand, 1 Armor, 1 Glove, 1 Accessoire and 1 Elixir.

09-Bagpack.png
Backpack System
Your hero can not pick up all excisting item classes – Your Backpack can!
It also provides some additional Itemslots. Accessable via Backpack (F2).

10-Talents.png
Talents and Talentpoints
Choose your talents and improve them with already earned talent points.
Provides additional Bonuses for your hero. Accessable via Backpack (F2).

11-Gold.png
Golddrop and Pick-up-System
Treasures, corpses (you can loot them) and more may drop a pile of gold.
Getting in range of a pile of gold is enough to auto pick up the money.

12-Quests.png
Quests and Sidequests
There are plenty of people in aid out there waiting for a helping hand.
If you think you may have missed a quest check the Quest Log down here.

Heroes – to be written

Lorem impsum dolor sit amet.

Screenshots – for now see attachments

Quest Log – to be written

Main Quest:
  1. Title: Description
  2. Title: Description
  3. Title: Description
  4. Title: Description
  5. Title: Description
Accessable with Lvl.1
  • Title: Description
Accessable with Lvl.5
Accessable with Lvl.10
Accessable with Lvl.15

Change Log – to be written

- Added: A new quest: "Title" (Details, req. lvl x)

- Added: Two new Items
+ Item Title 1: description
+ Item Title 2: description

- Changed: Markup of a detail

- Fixed: Bug description.

- Added: Two new Items
+ Item Title 1: description
+ Item Title 2: description

Credits – to be written

Models:
  • user
  • user
  • user
  • user
  • user
Icons:
  • user
  • user
  • user
  • user
  • user
Tutorials/Systems:
  • user
  • user
  • user
  • user
  • user
Other:
  • user

Download the Map and leave your opinion – Date 2015-12-10 (12th december):

Attachments

• CurseOfTheHorde_WIP.w3x
    7.9 MB · Views: 396
  • WC3ScrnShot_121015_202808_06.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_121015_202808_06.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 461
  • WC3ScrnShot_121015_202627_02.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_121015_202627_02.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 476
  • WC3ScrnShot_121015_203931_39.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_121015_203931_39.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 373
  • WC3ScrnShot_121015_203323_21.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_121015_203323_21.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 365
  • WC3ScrnShot_121015_202822_08.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_121015_202822_08.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 427
Last edited:

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Will try as soon as next week's tests pass

Level 10
#News - 2015.12.13.
@Lockheart
I set up the layout of the description. I hope it pleases you.
I will have to add some additional screenshots and further information soon.

@Imago_
One more weekend of endless bugfixing and map editing.
He will have to add further quests, terrain, balancing, ...

Therefor your opinion on what's been done so far is highly appreciated.

Deleted member 238226

D

Deleted member 238226

i totally support this project, will keep an eye on this. though, i can't test it at the moment. anyway, good luck with your project :)

+REP

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 3
I just found out about your maps and played through two of them today (Sweet Revenge Solo is a bit tedious compared to the others, especially since it doesn't have a difficulty setting). I will take a look at this in the next days. It's still a WIP, but what exactly can I expect so far? Is the mainquest done, is the terraining done or is everything still WIP? :0

Also, one thing I will suggest now after playing your other works. There are two things I would really like to see, but I am not sure if those would really fit in a 1-2 player map. But I suggest them anyways.
First, the difficulty should not only affect enemy stats. Higher difficulty should also do some other things, for example larger mob packs, new spells for some mobs, maybe some other things that make the game harder (maybe traps that weren't there before?). That would spice things up quite a bit and would suprise players who choose higher difficulties.
The other thing would be to add some randomness to the enemies. Sunken City does a really good job with this regarding mob packs. The size of the packs is always the same, but some (not all) packs are randomized. The very first pack you encounter when you enter the temple proper consists of 2 mobs, but the first mob is choosen randomly to be either mob A, mob B or mob C and the same is true for the other, which is choosen to be mob D or mob E. So while the size is always the same, the pack itself differs. Sometimes there are even minibosses instead of normal mobs. So basically, I would like to see some randomness in your mob packs. It doesn't have to be much, but this would definitly improve replayability. Maybe even add some rare mobs which don't even spawn every game. I know your games already have replayability with your different heroes, but even though your hero plays different, at least I am not as motivated to play through the exact same thing again. But if it changes a few things I would definitly play it a few more times.

Just my 2 cents. Since the game isn't finished yet, I thought suggesting something like this should better come sooner than later. If you actually implement it is still your decision.

Und zum Abschluss, Grüße aus Deutschland! :D

-------------------------------------------

Edit:
Okay, I played once through it until I died, which was at the Sand Serpent/Scorpion pack when the human rans away a second time. I finished the sewers, choose the Warlord, was level 5 and played on easy. Had all slots except for Ring and Gloves (bought the 100 gold gloves, but couldn't wear them). Overall, it's more of the same, which I really like. I think by now you more or less perfected this type of gameplay. Graphics are wonderful, gameplay is fun, it's again harder alone (especially since you can't buy potions so far) but no matter, it's cool.

So obvious bugs and unfinished stuff first. I am not sure what is a bug and what is simply unfinished, so I just list all:
- After killing one of the dogs, I apparently found the piglet but I couldn't turn in the quest.
- After killing a mob in a group, the others from the same group reset and run back to their starting position. This happens in most (but not all?) groups. Not sure about the rats, but it definitly happens in the sewers.
- There are often 2 merchants on top of each other, even for the same player. Player 1 has 2 glove merchants right next to each other, you can taget both at the same time with your mouse. There are also 2 Ring merchants for Player 2. Right next to the Offhand Merchant is a better Offhand Merchant. And where the better Offhand Merchant is supposed to be there are also 2 of him.
- The Orc where Thrall is seems to have a quest, but you can't do anything except click on the buttons.
- You can't accept Thrall's next quest after finishing the sewer quest.
- Some of the heroes are missing spells (Crossbowman I think).
- Potion Merchant doesn't sell anything.
- Gloves don't show class and level requirements at the merchant.
- If you die, you don't respawn.

So, that's all "bugs" I found. Now for some suggestions:
- Put a quest somewhere that explains what the difference between the difficulties is. I really would like to now what it does (the same was true for Dark Times), but it's not written anywhere.
- When you choose to skip the cinematic, does this only skip the intro cinematic or others as well? It sounds like the latter, but I am not sure if there even will be more. If it's supposed to only be the intro cinematic, maybe change the wording or make 2 choices (one for intro and one for the rest).
- On your way to the sewers, something should attack you. Maybe some of those dogs, a single scorpion or something completely different.

As I mentioned before the "Rare Mobs", "Randomness" and "Other changes on harder difficultues", I just post some suggestions regarding this which you could add, if you really plan to add something like this:

- On the way to the sewers, add something. Maybe only on hard. Maybe a rare mob that doesn't spawn every time.
- On hard, change the rats in the cellar to instead be a large single rat (basically a boss) instead of several small ones. So the game starts of hard right of the bat.
- Add a fourth mob to the sewers and change up the packs. So instead of having 1 archer and 2 melee skeletons at the bridges, maybe you could have 2 melees and a mage instead of an archer. Or even 3 ranged attackers. Just add some variety.
- On hard mode only, let the Necromancer teleport behind the barricades when he spawns the skeletons, so the players have to fight through them to actually reach him. Or instead turn him invulnerable until all adds are dead.
- Randomize the peons which actually drop gold. I think currently always the same drop gold, but instead choose maybe at random which 3 of those don't drop gold (or however many didn't drop anything). So the player is actually forced to examine all of them. If you do this, you could also maybe add some other random things, one of them awaking as a Mummy, dropping an item or small rats or carrion worms or whatever spawning. Maybe even a very low change one of them actually has a large amount of gold instead of nothing.

Well, stuff like this. Would spice things up and I would really enjoy it. So, that's my 2 cents after testing it once.

-------------------------------------------

Edit 2:
Played through it again, this time as far as I could get. Played a Necrolyte on easy, was level 8 (nearly 9) at the end, entered the mines and killed everything in there. First, a few bugs/unfinished things:

- Currently you can't wear Gloves and Rings. It just tells me your hero can't wear that. Tested with the Golden Ring (75 Gold) and the 50 gold caster gloves.
- You can't turn in the Pickaxe Quest.
- Enemies in the mines run away when they take damage. I am not sure if that's because the hero is ranged or just because they take damage, I actually didn't look if it happend earlier.
- The last two Sand Serpents were permanently invisible after turning invisible. They attacked me, but I couldn't see them and they were invisible for at least 10+ seconds. Killed them with a spell.
- If you leave the town to the west (in the desert, where the mines are) you can walk into the water of the very first river (along the walls of the town into the water).
- You can also "enter" all houses, especially those that have doors you don't see because of the perspective ("pointed north", if you want to call it that). The hero then just runs through it and up to the ceiling. Can be done with other houses as well.
- After cornering the human for a third time, I think he should enter a house. He just moved in, attack me again, ran away and I think he then ran through the mountain.
- The orb explosion during the Necromancer encounter also hurts the other skeletons. Intended?
- The Necrolyte's final spell definitly doesn't have 120 seconds cooldown, more like 5.
- "damage" in the description of his first spell is spelled "damge". Not sure if there are more spelling errors, it's the only one I noticed so far.
- During the intro, some of the readable text (Mannoroth and I think Grom's 2 boxes before) disappear before the text is finished (speaking still continues).

Some suggestions. I think the Necrolyte is to strong. His first spells can easily kill groups of enemies, you just have to position them a bit, but even then it's a AoE around him at worst. Maybe reduce the damage (since it's AoE) or increase the CD, but it definitly needs a nerf. His second spell deals 10 + 100% INT as damage, but the tooltip reads 10 + 200%. I did 21 damage when I had 6 + 5 intelligence, which is 10 + 11. Should have been 10 + 22 = 32. I would also reduce the mana restoration, because currently it can be spammed, you mostly get a heal and loose like 3-5 mana. His passive heals 100% intelligence HP but also 5 mana which isn't mentioned and maybe not intended (not sure if percentage based, I just saw it at the end). Overall, it's so much easier with him where I would consider him broken. And remember, that's without a potion, gloves and a ring because I couldn't wear them.

Level 10
@Wisdom
Thanks for the motivation.
It's always a good feeling to have some backup isn't it?

@Marston
Scheiße. Das ist ja viel Text. :D
No seriously - Imago and I both really appreciate your extensive feedback!
Feel free to keep telling us whats on your mind.

[RAINBOW]Now let's get to business.[/RAINBOW]
I advice you all to read the response if you are interested in the answers to his questions.

It's still a WIP, but what exactly can I expect so far?
Is the mainquest done, is the terraining done or is everything still WIP? :0

Good question. Expect nothing – Discover everything. (Oh how cheesy)
The terraining isn't done yet but it already has a really good shape. Final changes will follow however.
As for Quests: there is a bunch of stuff you can do already, but not all of the Quests are guaranteed to work properly.​

... the difficulty should not only affect enemy stats.
Higher difficulty should also do some other things, for example larger mob packs, new spells for some mobs...
... That would spice things up quite a bit and would suprise players who choose higher difficulties...

Imago is working on that already but I myself didn't even know this before you asked. I like the point.
Some creatures (and maybe bosses, too) will get additional spells on a harder difficulty.
The actual creeps will remain and some further creeps will spawn the harder you set the difficulty in certain areas.​

... The other thing would be to add some randomness to the enemies...

I guess this won't happen. But who knows?
Maybe as an additional patch once there is a final cut of this map.​

... Overall, it's more of the same, which I really like. I think by now you more or less perfected this type of gameplay. Graphics are wonderful, gameplay is fun, it's again harder alone (especially since you can't buy potions so far) but no matter, it's cool.

Just thanks. It's all the work of Imago_.
Saying that he perfected this type of gameplay feels like a big honor.​

... Bugs and Suggestions ...

< To keep it short
Some of the Bugs you listed are fixed already (upcomming version).
A lot of the suggestions you gave may indeed follow up. Some were planned already.

We will decide on them later.​

A lot of fixes and progress happend since the last version.
It will be released soon.

For now I add some more description while Imago is working on the map.

Level 3
Well, okay then, here goes! xD

Played again with a Paladin, this time on normal. Finished everything, but sometimes it was reeeally close. Like, 1 more hit and I would have died at the Necromancer encounter (was level 4 with 0 exp, but could have gone and kill stuff in the desert to get level 5). Paladin is again strong because of the heals, but not as broken as the Necrolyte. I maybe would increase the mana cost of his final spell even further, but I need to see how that plays out later. So, bugs and stuff:

- Picking Strength level 4 reduced my damage from 7-7 to 6-6, even though my strength value increased. No idea why, maybe something with that level is wrong?
- Sand Flyers (the flying mobs in the mine) don't give any EXP.
- I am not sure if the birds are supposed to be in here... xD
- Also not sure if intended, when the Necromancer dies, the skeleton archers stop attacking you (the melee ones still attack you). They attack you again when you get into their melee range/attack them yourself.
- "Blessing" (the Q skill) has twice the explanation. Also, it increases armor by 100, the armor description reads "every point of armor reduces damage taken by 1%", but even with 100 armor it only reduces damage by 50%. Maybe change the wording or reduce the armor value or something.
- Also, I am not sure if this can be fixed, because it's in engine. When you click and hold the portrait of your unit, the camera fixates on it. When you do this while inside a building, the camera moves around like outside (to fixate your unit in the middle).

Okay, so I realized gold drops already are randomized. xD
Also, if you want I could help you out a little bit more with testing (Skype, TS, anything? I am not really that active in WC3 anymore, so anything else would be better). Especially since no one of my friends is interested in this type of map (and the one who is interested has no time at the moment... xD). As I mentioned before, I really like your projects, so I really would like to help a bit more indepth, if possible. xD

Level 10
SHORT NEWS
Holiday is over. Newest patch will be uploaded soon.
More creeps, more bug fixes, more terrain – and still so much more left to do.

Further information will follow once I got some time to spare.

@Marston
If you are still up for it I may have a task for you.
I'll write you soon.

Level 14
So far all the maps by Lockheart and Imago_ have been extraordinarily fun to play with great terrain, quests, and abilities. I have no reason to expect any different. I'm pretty excited to try out this new one. Nice job!

Level 5
lovely! i encountered some bugs concerning pathing but plz finish this so i can Play with my friend =))

Level 10
Really late update (since I got asked multiple times about the progress):
As you may have noticed there wasn't any update since ages yet we didn't cancel the project.
However you should not expect a new release all too soon.

As time passed by we (or rather imago_) started a new project so there are 2 maps to handle at the same time for us.
The new map "Everglade" has clearly a new won priority for imago_ so the curse of the horde will be (slowly) mentained by me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.