• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

I'm having trouble importing models

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hello. I've downloaded the black balverine (werewolf) model, which I really need for my werewolf survival (come on, werewolf survival without werewolfs??) and since I have no clue of how to do so, I posted a thread, just like this one. A friendly soul told me, that many models holds a link, which directs to a tutorial on how to import models. I don't know if my version of wc3 world editor is old or something, but half of that tutorial failed for me. Lemme explain:

Problem 1: It says you have to put the .mdx file which is not the portrait one, into the art - model file thingy, which I did. I followed it all, but when I went to click OK, and checked the thing I just had altered, it said .mdl in the end, instead of .mdx. I tried to change it, but every time I changed it, it did the same. I then tried to create the unit, to see if it affected the object, but all I got to place, was a checkpatterned box. I figured that it'd get fixed, if I just finished the tutorial, so I did.

Problem 2: At the point where it instructs you how to bind the portrait to the object, I can't even get started. It says you have to double-click the field called: Art - Model File - Portrait. Now, I've doublechecked without any luck. All I can find is the Art - Model File and the Art - Model File - Extra Versions.

Thanks for reading, please help.

Level 2
The part with the checkpatterned box is cleared out now. I found out that you just have to save and close/open your map, then it'll appear. The portrait however, is still a problem.

The Art - Model File - Portrait is a field on Destructibles and Doodads. For units, you just have to import your portrait model to the same path as the normal model, with the suffix of _Portrait. Example:
If you have a model imported like this: war3mapImported\DoomHorn.mdx, your portrait should look like this: war3mapImported\DoomHorn_Portrait.mdx.
So, just rename your original portrait's model (through Rename, not in the Import Manager) and import it as I suggested.

Level 2
The Art - Model File - Portrait is a field on Destructibles and Doodads. For units, you just have to import your portrait model to the same path as the normal model, with the suffix of _Portrait. Example:
If you have a model imported like this: war3mapImported\DoomHorn.mdx, your portrait should look like this: war3mapImported\DoomHorn_Portrait.mdx.
So, just rename your original portrait's model (through Rename, not in the Import Manager) and import it as I suggested.

Thanks a lot! You just saved my day.

Level 7
I have imported few models, but when I try to place them in the editor they just appear like green/black checkpatterned box/es. The models I try to use are Blackhand the Destroyer; Blackhand Warlord; Blackrock Grunt; Warsong Grunt; Shatteredhand Grunt; Burningblade Grunt; Grunt Campagne and Bleeding Hollow Grunt. All of them are downloaded from THW and I read in the forums that they are working properly, so I don't understand what is wrong? Well I use the same model "Grunt" as a base for all of them, can this be the problem? ....... ok I cleared some of the problems well Blackhand the Destroyer and Bleeding Hollow Grunt are ok after I changed the base unit but there is another thing I've spotted - Bleeding Hollow Grunt has something like an aura on his back like a strange kind of animation (I would show you a screenshot but I don't know hot to insert it in here.) and just changing the base model is still not enough for the other Grunts to show in the editor. Hope you can help me with this!

Last edited:
Level 7
I made it but there are still 11 models that don't want to work properly, 10 of 'em are still green/black checkpatterned box/es and 1 is only a head and red something(see the pic) and also there is still one thing I don't understand I used the model of this grunt yesterday and it worked with something weird on his back, and now it is not working anymore (It's just a frackin' checkpatterned box now) (see the second pic) I would be very happy if you could help me with this! :confused:

Attachments

• Pic.1.png
    Pic.1.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 88
  • Pic1.png
    Pic1.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 85
Level 7
As I said I downloaded all the models from TheHiveWorkshop/Model-gallery and until now nearly 1/3 of the models I've downloaded don't even appear as anything different than the green/black Cubes!
I hope it won't be the same with the skins...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.