• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

I'm completely new to all of this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hi, as the title suggests I'm a total newcomer to making maps. It's always been a dream of mine to make my very own warcraft maps, specifically an ORPG. I have a lot of different dreams about making video games, and I've tried learning a few engines like Unreal Engine and Unity, etc. But I recently got back into warcraft, and while I have essentially ZERO experience with making maps (aside from opening the editor and playing around with it for a few minutes), it feels like it might be an easier start for me to get into crafting my own video games. I know it will clearly take a lot to learn, just like if I were to learn Unreal or Unity, but still it feels a bit easier to me because I really know Warcraft well and can visualize more easily what's possible for me to create with it.

All that being said, I have no idea where or how to start. It's all very overwhelming to feel like I don't know how to get anything fully working. I've looked at the tutorial section here on Hiveworkshop, specifically this basics guide: World Editor Basics
I don't know how else to get started other than to plan to carve out some hours each day, open up the editor, and try figuring it out on my own. But I figured I'd reach out here for anyone who has some really helpful links or sources for where I can go to get help? I really feel like I have some untapped potential with creating a really fun ORPG, and if anyone would like to someday see another fun ORPG with a save/load system, maybe I could end up being someone to help that come to fruition :)

Thanks for reading this, hopefully there's some good advice. If not that's okay, I will try to figure it out. It feels possible, I'm just worried it somehow will be "too advanced for a beginner" or I'm "not good enough/don't meet criteria" when I know in my heart I'm very much capable.

Level 20
Learning Jass or Lua would be the best since they actually teach you how to code and has more functionality. GUI might be easier, although clunkier and less useful in the end. One could use GUI and convert the trigger into custom text in the "Trigger Editor" under "Edit" which is what the game does anyway. That will show the actual Jass code behind it. Maps can only use Jass or Lua code, not both.

For GUI Things You Should Know When Using Triggers / GUI may be the most useful thread ever if you ask me. It contains a lot of super helpful information. Theres also a list at the end with more useful links.

For more tutorials you can use the search function on this site or go to Warcraft 3 Tutorials for map making, modeling, texturing, jass, lua, etc.

A highly suggested resource is Damage Engine 5.7.1.2 as it allows to detect damage events and modify damage. I believe it comes with a Unit Indexer that is also highly suggested. Theres a lot of resources available to handle entire systems of things, making creation much easier for example New Bonus [vJASS][LUA] found in Maps & Resources.

Last edited:
Level 2
Learning Jass or Lua would be the best since they actually teach you how to code and has more functionality. GUI might be easier, although clunkier and less useful in the end. One could use GUI and convert the trigger into custom text in the "Trigger Editor" under "Edit" which is what the game does anyway. That will show the actual Jass code behind it. Maps can only use Jass or Lua code, not both.

For GUI Things You Should Know When Using Triggers / GUI may be the most useful thread ever if you ask me. It contains a lot of super helpful information. Theres also a list at the end with more useful links.

For more tutorials you can use the search function on this site or go to Warcraft 3 Tutorials for map making, modeling, texturing, jass, lua, etc.

A highly suggested resource is Damage Engine 5.7.1.2 as it allows to detect damage events and modify damage. I believe it comes with a Unit Indexer that is also highly suggested. Theres a lot of resources available to handle entire systems of things, making creation much easier for example New Bonus [vJASS][LUA] found in Maps & Resources.
Thank you so much for the help <3 I could work towards learning JASS or Lua as well as learning Triggers/GUI and all the helpful links you shared with me :) I'll have to check them all out

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.