• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

I'd like to say this about the skin section of Wc3sear.ch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
I've searched through the skin section last night, and found that it was full of bad paint attempts, recolors, crappy anime skins, and noticable CnPs.
I have to say that I am sick of this.
The reason I am putting bad comments on some of the skins on this site, is because I want to discourage
people from adding more junk into this site's collection.
Don't take this thread as a flame. Take it as a notice.

I really just don't want this site to be flooded.
Here are some tips:
Those of you who posted skins in the skins section JUST to get feedback, DON'T DO THAT AGAIN! Please! There is a skins forum here where you can post a screen shot of your incomplete work, and get advice, feedback, with less flaming!
The skins section is not a gallery of useless, pathetic, and unexcusable attempts...
What you're doing when you post a skin in the site that you think is NOT good, or is your first skin, is called flooding. The work from one of the greatest skinners in the site barely stands out...

It REALLY annoys me, when some of the registered users in this site are being too nice, that they are rating the crap in the skins section, over a 2 out of 5. What you're doing by rating them high, is actually encouraging them to post more junk in the site, and block the good pieces of work from standing out.

A List of Lousy Excuses that this site uses (Don't ever use them again):
This is my first skin, so shut the **** up!
OMG! I did my best!
At least this is useful!
OMG I DUN CARE WHAT U SAY! ***** YOU!!!!!
This is not supposed to be great...
I JUST WANT FEEDBACK!
OMG! WHY DUN U TRY SKINNING FOR ONCE!
I hate people who flame skins, and haven't made one themselves.
PLZ dont delete this

*Points to the skins forum* -.-
Anime characters have pointy hair, and you can't make pointy hair on WC3 Skins. It does not stand out.

.....SECOND: Do you see any uses for anime skins on WC3?! Sure, you can use them for another Anime Arena crap, but those aren't popular anymore, and you can't put too many in 'em.

.....THIRD: Warcraft 3 has no connection with Anime. That's it.

Moderators. Please do not ignore our delete requests here. All I want is to be able to search for good skins, without spending an hour.

........To those who will flame me about this thread...: Shutup. It's true that I have never submitted a single skin in this site, but don't underestimate me for that.

Level 22
We are not ignoring the delete request function. ITS THAT NO ONE IS USING IT! You said that you went throught the skin section and saw all sorts of bad stuff, then why did you not point any of them out? Be part of the solution, not the problem.

Yes, the skins section is lost, I'll be the first to admit that. I've just been mainly managing the new stuff coming on and not so much of the stuff thats buried in the archive. I know me and the other skin mods really want to do a skin sweep, but keep in mind we are trying to prevent this site from being considered an elitist place. Although we probably will do it (although it would be difficult given that the skin submitting rules are pretty lax, and given that hardly any of the content there is technically rule breaking), we want this to ba a place where inexperienced skinners have a chance to show their work. We are the only site that does that. No, that does not give an excuse to spam 5 minute junk, and this generosity gets taken advantage of and abused very easily. You know what they say, "five minute people produce five minute work." As long as there are people who believe in quantity over quality, we will have a skin section like the one we have now. But the same can be said for maps, models, spells and art as well. Skins is just just an easy target, I suppose...

Outright clearing of all lower-end skins would alienate a lot of users, and possible discourage some and leave the site. Some skinners have come a long way, and produced some good quality work despite their low-quality begginnings, thats the kind of stuff we are trying to nurture here, but at the same time trying to not alienate the veteran skinners who are upset for having their high quality hard work buried in the archive behind 30 min works after a day, so as you can see, its a bit of a dillemma.

We could make all the rules in the world governing what comes onto the site, but people dont follow them anyway, and we will still have to manage everything one by one as they come on. I mean, every day I delete at least 2-3 maps because people post stuff that is already on the site, or improperly updated, even though the rules state against them clear as day. and people STILL PM me saying "WTF what rule did it break!!!!!" Its much worse when a skin gets deleted. Believe me.

Overall I agree with every word you say, we are tired of it, too, and it would be great if people seeked feedback before posting, but thats just an ideal world that will never happen, even if it was made a rule. If we reserve the site only for the anitheros, the erwtenpellers, the EvilYardGnomes, then the skins section would be about the size of that at warcraft warehouse, and thats not really something we want.
-VGsatomi

Level 12
I hate people who flame skins, and haven't made one themselves

You didn't exactly defend yourself correctly against this argument.

I do hate people that feel like the major judges of the skin section and are incapable of submitting better skins, that is If you really want to improve the quality of the skins section you would like to try giving the example first.

I've submiited 2 skins here, about 30 minute jobs each, well they were both deleted, and after seeing this topic, I got a good idea. We could have a category in the skin section for noobs who just started skinning to get productive feedback without their skins being erased. of course that's also one of the many many things we can't do, because of the absence of Darky. but it's odd...ive seen signs of things I haven't seen before. like 7 days ago, when I edited my posts, It turned into a text box. but I edited a post yesterday, and when I did my text turned into a text box, but also, below it, it showed my original text. I've seen several other small things like this that could not be changed without modifying the script. gah. getting off topic. well my idea is a category of the skin section where noobs can post their skins without the skins getting erased, or them getting flamed...

and btw vgsatomi, an ironic 'quality over quantity' bit: Pins produced 132 skins, not one of which is drectors choice. yet in his 'Laterz' topic in the off-topic section, you can see we all love him very much.
heh... :wink:

Level 22
well my idea is a category of the skin section where noobs can post their skins without the skins getting erased, or them getting flamed...

Such a section already exists. Its called the skin forum. Show your work there by uploading a .jpg of it to an image hosting site, like photobucket.com, link to it in the forums, get feedback, and when its ready, submit it. SOme of the more veteran skinners do that, why not you?
-VGsatomi

Level 18
DeadDogNoGoWoof said:
and btw vgsatomi, an ironic 'quality over quantity' bit: Pins produced 132 skins, not one of which is drectors choice. yet in his 'Laterz' topic in the off-topic section, you can see we all love him very much.
heh... :wink:

we do not all love him.
he is ignorant and big headed.

anyway the delete request thing requires like 4 votes before they show up or something like that.

so get voteing!

Level 5
VGSatomi said:
If we reserve the site only for the anitheros, the erwtenpellers, the EvilYardGnomes, then the skins section would be about the size of that at warcraft warehouse, and thats not really something we want.

Hm, I think you misunderstood...(Blah, I don't blame you, my English is bad sometimes...)
I was only talking about those recolors and bad attempts...that should be removed.
There are tons of good skins here, so even if you do delete the recolors and paints...there would still be thousands left...

Um, alot of the moderators have seen those crappy skins on this site, yet they haven't deleted them...I just want to remind you that there are also skins submission rules...
Well, there are 2 new skins right now that I would like to be deleted...
The Arthas recolor....>.<
And the Admiral Proudmoore undead skin....

Status
Not open for further replies.