• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Icons, textures, models and ideas for a map system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hi men!

You probably don't know me, this is because I have just registered to HiveWorkshop (used it since February but I only decided to join a few days ago). But, I am not a beginner in map making. I have recently started a map system - in fact, a HUGE RPG-like mapsystem. I know that it will take more years to complete, so I decided to ask your help.

I accept EVERYTHING. Ideas, models, maps, textures, and such things. I want to make WoW in Warcraft III (this is what my friend said who plays both).

In fact, I lack city-building skills in Warcraft 3, so I for first, I want to ask you to show me how to create a good city for RPG purposes. The race of the city is human, and it takes place and time in the golden age of Lordaeron. This city is Stratholme.

Secondarily, I need map and mission ideas. The background story is simple. There is a young guy - I called him Mike, but I don't think it fits an 18-20 year old boy, who's a son of a farmer, if you find any bettter names, tell me please - who is sent into the city for something by his father - the reason I planned to put in the game is that his father ordered some clother from a tailor and he wants Mike to take them home. He sees a few bandits on the road, robbing some merchants, and thinks that he should stop them before they rob his father (there is a way to join them, voilá, Bandit class, and later on he will become an Assassin used by the King), and continues the route into Stratholme. In the city, he will (not might, will) find some soldiers and hear that they're recruiting soldiers. This will be the way to become a Soldier, which later becomes Knight, then Paladin. He will also meet some wizards and will be able to learn magic. He will find some dark wizards in a forest (the deeps in the forest near their home) and will be able to evolve himself into a Dark Wizard. They do not serve the undead but have destructive skills instead of healing and building and protective ones. These will all have a common story with different side-missions (they will need to learn how to use their skills) and Mike can obtain more classes at once, but can't be mage after leveling above a certain level of Bandit (he will have a mission "steal the wizards' Great Spellbook", which will be burnt accidentally) and so on.

Now you know the story, so I can ask you for ideas for side-missions and premade maps. So, if you have an idea for a mission for the Warrior class, I will approve it, but I will also accept premade maps. It depends on you what do you want to create. If it's good enought, I will put it into the campaign. Credits will be given in an unusual way, some creeps (for example a villager in a city or a prisoner in the dungeons of Stratholme) will say something like "anyway, did you know that this map is made by konyvfalovb?". This will be better I think (if it makes you more productive, Rep will be given for each good idea).

I also need some icons. I am about to change the bases of the damage-armor type system, but their icons will be needed to be replaced, too. I will need icons that can be put into the armor type picture in the Game Interface, and the damage will be replaced, too. These icons are:
- something that can show that the unit wears only clothes, no armor
- a leather shirt or cloak or something that represents Light armor
- a plate armor piece which shows tat the unit is wearing metal armor
- a horse head and an armored horse head, which will represent cavalry and armored cavalry
- something that can show the wielder gets almost no damage from Magic attacks (not spell immunity, sonething like Resistant skin)
- a simple but pretty sword that says "I will attack with a blade"
- a hammer which will say the wielder's weapon is bashing, like a hammer or an axe (or should axe be a Blade-type weapon?)
- a dagger and/or an arrow like the basic one but this should show the weapon will pierce through heavy armor
- a spear for Spearmen (counter-units for cavalry, will deal a lot of additional damage to them)
And now enough about the attack types, let's continue with the game interface:
- I will need a silver icon which will replace lumber
- I will need a better Human cursor, the basic won't suit an ordinary Human, I think
- ideas for spells, classes and their buttons
- Icons for soldiers, Dark Wizards, Wizards, Thieves (a face with a hood, Assassin's creed style), Assassins (almost same, but really almost), and even more units, but they'll come in later.
About sound:
- I will need a sound set for each class
- I will need some ambience, like when you're in a forest then you should hear birds, but in the city you should hear the speaking - and yelling - people. This can be easily dome with regions, as I know.
- And, the method how to import and use an external sound set in the game as the sound of an unit!
And, at last, models:
- Some better chest icons, empty and filled with silver/gold
- Gold and silver coins which are different from the basic gold coin model, should be smaller at least
- more villager models, with probably more sound set
- some Dark Wizards that are NOT Undead, but the model should show that they're not 'good' anymore
- and any other ideas for models.

I think there will be even more stuff, even more to-do and even more resources what I will need. Currently that's all.

Thank you: KvB

I think you may thought that I am not English. That's true, I am still learning it, so if you don't understand something or think that I've made a mistake, tell me and I'll try to do my best.

Level 25
The idea seems decent, but there are a few problems with it:
Seperating the class-selection stage into different parts of the story might prove problematic. People, who play this map for the first time and haven't read a thing about it, might get confused if they don't know what they're choosing between. Also, say you pass the option of choosing x class, thinking there might be cooler class later on. There isn't. Now you are forced to choose y class, as no other options are available at this point in the game. Now, every problem comes with a solution. I'd suggest introducing all of the available classes as a prologue, and only when all classes have been introduced, then comes the class-selection part, so the players know their options and what they are getting themselves into.
Most, if not all, of the resources you requested are available on Hive. You might have to spend some time searching, but you can't just expect people to do all the work for you.

Level 3
I have. I have found 55Mb-s of models and buttons, but for some reason only half of them fit into my campaign.
To tell the truth, there WILL be a chance to change classes, but after you evolved/learnt enough you will be unable to start specific classes for some story elements. In fact, you can have a mage, a warrior and a Thief (bandit) class. This would act like you discover new heroes who join you, but here instead of joining they are available as "classes", and you can switch between them at specific locations (e.g. if you go into the barracks, you can switch to warrior no matter what class are you using currently, and at Mike's home in Stratholme the player will be able to switch between all of them.
This is only for the interesting storyline, nothing else. I plan to put in some ways to continue as a mage after the local Mages' Great Spellbook burnt to ashes. Don't forget that (if I remember it well) I mentioned Dalaran somewhere. And there will be such things with the other classes, too, just like in real life.
Is this better?

Status
Not open for further replies.