• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

I want ideas for a campaign

What should be the campaign?

• Kael takes the role of Arthas

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Take the role of an undead soldier in a diffrent world

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Basically Kel'thuzad trying to survive under Bolvar's rule as the Lich King

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Or something else

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
untitled.png

Story:
You are playing as Kel'thuzad, Arch Lich of the undead. You have been suffering since Bolvar became Lich King, but the time has come to pay and secure your place as the ruler of the Undead Scourge.
Features:

• Includes 15 missions.
  • Includes Improved (Kel'thuzad's Scourge) and New races (Undead Trolls, Normal Nerubians, Bolvar's Scourge and more...).
  • Includes new (Overlord Drakuru, Seer Ixit, Kilix the Unraveler, Bolvar, T'jalik and more...) and improved heroes (Anub'arak, Kel'thuzad and more...).
  • Includes custom lore with few WOW lore elements.
  • Includes places from WOW.
  • And more...
Progress:

Prologue: Beginning 20%
Chapter 1: Coup d'état 10%

Screenshots:

Playable Characters:

Kel'thuzad

Arch Lich of the Scourge

Screenshot_3.jpg

Anub'arak

Former Nerubian King, Crypt Lord

Screenshot_2.jpg

Last edited:
Level 20
I'm 70% sure that it's going to be crap.

I think this might be one of the reasons why you abandon your projects. If you start off with the assumption that the result of your work is going to be crap anyway, you are demoralized to complete it from the get-go. Just to try to think of it this way: you're trying to do the best you can. If it turns out to be sub-par then well, you will always get some feedback and a chance to improve.

And... Try not to work on the campaign with the mindset that you're doing this to entertain people. Instead, try to do something that you would be interested in playing. Go for features, gameplay and story that you find interesting and fun, because if you will enjoy your own project, it will be easier to complete it - you know, you as a player will be interested to see it through to the end, so you as a map maker will have that extra motivation to put in the work.

And as for other people... You can't please everyone, but if you make a project that's fun for you, I'm pretty sure that there will be others who will also enjoy it.

Kael'thas gets corrupted by Frostmourne, while Arthas does not.
I think this is an interesting idea, though you'd have to start off with explaining how and why Kael'thas picked up Frostmourne (prefferably something other than "he just found it" or "he wanted power", because that doesn't allow for much of character development). Anyway, I personally like alternate storylines, so yeah, this is probably my favorite.

Basically, there was once the a guy named Thuzadin, whose mother and father were the rulers of the Sunrise Kingdom. He had grown up to be a nice prince, until the fateful day of his murder. The murderer was his father, who had realized that he was going to be the ruler of the Kingdom.
Wait... What? So, what you're saying is that there is this prince who has a father who is a king (duh) and then the king murders the prince, because he suddenly realized that his son will eventually claim the throne? Uhm... You know that people die of old age and that the most standard succession model for kingdoms actually depended on the male heir taking over the kingdom one day, right? It makes no sense that a king would suddenly realize that his son would eventually succeed him and see it as a reason to murder the prince, because the whole idea of having a dynasty is that one day your child will take the crown.

Unless you meant that well, the prince was planning a coup or his father thought that he was unfit to rule the kingdom or whatever.

Some say that he was killed because he had stolen his father's treasure, while some say that he died for betraying the kingdom for power. No one knows, but one thing is certain he is coming back for revenge.
I mean, it's definetely a nice intrigue - the prince was killed, no one really knows why, but he comes back to take revenge. I just hope that you would keep this as a secret, i.e. turn it into a mystery that gets solved as you play for a bit and not like have the prince return and be like "yo, my father killed me, because...".

Kel'Thuzad's continued existence by mentioning that he has "survived two separate Lich Kings". So yeah, this is what is about.
I mean, Kel'thuzad is cool and getting to see what he was doing to survive under Bolvar might be interesting, but then again... The description you gave isn't very specific as to what the actual story would be, so I won't really comment on this.

---

Either way, I think either one of those can work and ultimately, what premise you choose for your project is not as important as how you actually craft the story within it. So yeah, as always, the devil is in the details.

Level 28
The standard Greek myth explanation is a prophecy that the kid will overthrow his father. Meaning they try to kill the boy (or rather have him abandoned in the wilds where they're inevitably found and raised by peasants/nymphs/animals), either giving him a reason to overthrow their father in the first place or not knowing he's their father and overthrowing him anyway.

Level 5
I'm giving away most of my campaign projects, tell me if you're interested in taking any of them and claiming them as your own.. if interested of course.

Other than that I'd go with the story of Kael taking the role of Arthas

thanks for the offer, but no. I want to start my own, with my own story, and own characters. Again, thanks.

why making a poll if you want us to vote for that one?

Sorry, I wasn't very specific. I was kind of sleepy back then when I wrote that. I wanted that to be my project, but then I thought to let people decide through my projects. I will remove it.

I think this might be one of the reasons why you abandon your projects. If you start off with the assumption that the result of your work is going to be crap anyway, you are demoralized to complete it from the get-go. Just to try to think of it this way: you're trying to do the best you can. If it turns out to be sub-par then well, you will always get some feedback and a chance to improve.

You know, that is 70% true, the other 30% is because I think it's gonna be long and I need lots and lots of models and skins and spells (Keep in mind, that time I didn't know how to make caches). I'm gonna try to not abandon it this time.

And... Try not to work on the campaign with the mindset that you're doing this to entertain people. Instead, try to do something that you would be interested in playing. Go for features, gameplay and story that you find interesting and fun, because if you will enjoy your own project, it will be easier to complete it - you know, you as a player will be interested to see it through to the end, so you as a map maker will have that extra motivation to put in the work.

True, true.

And as for other people... You can't please everyone, but if you make a project that's fun for you, I'm pretty sure that there will be others who will also enjoy it.

I don't want to please everyone, I want SOME people to love them, even if it is less than 5.

I think this is an interesting idea, though you'd have to start off with explaining how and why Kael'thas picked up Frostmourne (prefferably something other than "he just found it" or "he wanted power", because that doesn't allow for much of character development). Anyway, I personally like alternate storylines, so yeah, this is probably my favorite.

Well, I didn't want to spoil it, but it will be the same as Arthas's story, but then It will be something else. Look, there is a plague in Quel'thalas. Kael gets called to investigate, he finds out about Kel'thuzad, kills him, finds about Mal'ganis, and then there is a mission similar to The fall of Theramore, where you have to storm Mal'ganis's base. Then you go to Northrend after finding out that is the way to kill him, he finds Muradin, they find Frostmourne, and they kill Mal'ganis. That's that.

Wait... What? So, what you're saying is that there is this prince who has a father who is a king (duh) and then the king murders the prince, because he suddenly realized that his son will eventually claim the throne? Uhm... You know that people die of old age and that the most standard succession model for kingdoms actually depended on the male heir taking over the kingdom one day, right? It makes no sense that a king would suddenly realize that his son would eventually succeed him and see it as a reason to murder the prince, because the whole idea of having a dynasty is that one day your child will take the crown.

Unless you meant that well, the prince was planning a coup or his father thought that he was unfit to rule the kingdom or whatever.

How do I always forget stuff? Yes, he thinks that his son is unfitting for the throne, so he kills him. His goal was to make the younger son the heir, even if it meant killing the other. Then, Thuzadin gets reincarnated as a undead soldier and the rest is spoilers.

I mean, it's definetely a nice intrigue - the prince was killed, no one really knows why, but he comes back to take revenge. I just hope that you would keep this as a secret, i.e. turn it into a mystery that gets solved as you play for a bit and not like have the prince return and be like "yo, my father killed me, because...".

The whole game is basically playing as Thuzadin, trying to take revenge on his father.

I mean, Kel'thuzad is cool and getting to see what he was doing to survive under Bolvar might be interesting, but then again... The description you gave isn't very specific as to what the actual story would be, so I won't really comment on this.

---

Well, I'll try to update it, but tell me, what do I write on it?

Either way, I think either one of those can work and ultimately, what premise you choose for your project is not as important as how you actually craft the story within it. So yeah, as always, the devil is in the details.

Thank you for your help. I will see what I can do.

The standard Greek myth explanation is a prophecy that the kid will overthrow his father. Meaning they try to kill the boy (or rather have him abandoned in the wilds where they're inevitably found and raised by peasants/nymphs/animals), either giving him a reason to overthrow their father in the first place or not knowing he's their father and overthrowing him anyway.

No, it's not like that, it's different. You shall see.

Level 20
I think that you haven't picked a story that you want to tell, but the one that you think will please the most people.

And I think that there's little to no sense in picking a story that you feel uncomfortable with, because if you have issues coming up with a way to start it, how do you want to write the rest? I mean, sure, I understand that starting is sometimes the most difficult part, but then again - you're writing a campaign story, not a novel, so you should have some idea as to where you want your story to pick off.

And to be honest, if you are having issues with beginning your Kel'thuzad's story then I think you should reconsider your choice, because chances are that if you write something that you lack the inspiration for, it won't be very good.

---

Besides, how do you expect us to help you with the story if we literally know nothing about what you want it to be? I mean, sure, we know the general premise, i.e. that it's about Kel'thuzad surviving under Bolvar, but then what? Do you want to, for example, tell the story of Kel'thuzad trying to overthrow the Lich King or to prove to him that he is a worthy servant? Give us something - your thoughts, your plan, your idea... and then we can comment on it.

Level 6
How about create campaign that you play as Arthas the Lich King. In starting missions you have full control of scourge army and--> Kel'thuzad betray you and he took frostmourne and you will lose leadership of scourge than he teleport you to underground of Nerubians. You are weaponless and somehow defenceless. you will find your way out of the Nurubian temples. You fight your enemies by throwing ice bolts and summoning skeletons. (I mean you have no sword)
Then you will meet with Anub'arak and he will betray you too. Few map can be about battling Nurubs and you will kill Anub and Nurubs will join you.
Then you go to top of the mountain and summon your big Dragon and fight and find your way to Frozen throne that named (ice palace) by kel'thuzad now and you will kill him.

How was it?

Level 5
I think that you haven't picked a story that you want to tell, but the one that you think will please the most people.

And I think that there's little to no sense in picking a story that you feel uncomfortable with, because if you have issues coming up with a way to start it, how do you want to write the rest? I mean, sure, I understand that starting is sometimes the most difficult part, but then again - you're writing a campaign story, not a novel, so you should have some idea as to where you want your story to pick off.

And to be honest, if you are having issues with beginning your Kel'thuzad's story then I think you should reconsider your choice, because chances are that if you write something that you lack the inspiration for, it won't be very good.

---

Besides, how do you expect us to help you with the story if we literally know nothing about what you want it to be? I mean, sure, we know the general premise, i.e. that it's about Kel'thuzad surviving under Bolvar, but then what? Do you want to, for example, tell the story of Kel'thuzad trying to overthrow the Lich King or to prove to him that he is a worthy servant? Give us something - your thoughts, your plan, your idea... and then we can comment on it.

First of all, I liked the story of Kel'thuzad trying to survive under Bolvar's rule and yes, I'm comfortable with it. Second of all, I did found ways to start my Kel'thuzad's story and yes, that is true. Lacking the inspiration makes it bad, but don't worry, I have the inspiration. Third of all, ok, I made a mistake about the helping part, It was midnight and I didn't know what to say. But now, You gave me the idea: Kel'thuzad overthrowing Bolvar. I'll also change the name of the thread and the stuff in it and start posting screenshots.

How about create campaign that you play as Arthas the Lich King. In starting missions you have full control of scourge army and--> Kel'thuzad betray you and he took frostmourne and you will lose leadership of scourge than he teleport you to underground of Nerubians. You are weaponless and somehow defenceless. you will find your way out of the Nurubian temples. You fight your enemies by throwing ice bolts and summoning skeletons. (I mean you have no sword)
Then you will meet with Anub'arak and he will betray you too. Few map can be about battling Nurubs and you will kill Anub and Nurubs will join you.
Then you go to top of the mountain and summon your big Dragon and fight and find your way to Frozen throne that named (ice palace) by kel'thuzad now and you will kill him.

How was it?

I don't wanna be mean, but sorry, that doesn't make sense. Why would Kel'thuzad and Anub'arak betray Arthas, the Lich King? Kel'thuzad, I get it, different ways. Power, wanting him as the Lich King. But Anub'arak? He can't, even if he wanted to. Why? The Lich King controls him and his every wish. And not to mention the fact, that we are playing as a undead king/demigod. He would be overpowered and he'll kill everything in one second, so nope, but thanks anyways.

Level 9
Kel'thuzad one could work a humorous campaign. KT as a loyal servant to Bolvar, exasperated at former paladin's unwillingness to unleash plagues, wipe out and zombify settlements, constantly trying to develop another horrible undead monstrosity under Bolvar's back and really not understanding why Bolvar shuts all such projects down, etc.
Last few missions could be something like Scarlet Whatever arriving to fight the Lich King, Bolvar comically failing to beat them due to lack of skill controlling the Scourge (and unwilligness to sacrifice mindless minions, unleash plague, use abominations, etc), until KT gets fed up and unleashes all the stuff he made over the course of campaign in the final mission, saving Bolvar and the Scourge.

Sorry, I wasn't very specific. I was kind of sleepy back then when I wrote that. I wanted that to be my project, but then I thought to let people decide through my projects. I will remove it.

Usually the best idea is to go with one you prefer, because it has the biggest chance to have you interested in.

Status
Not open for further replies.