• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Campaign] Dead Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Just wanted to tell everyone that the prologue is done, and the first chapter is 20% complete. I'm sorry that everyone had to wait 20 days just for a prologue. Again, I deeply apologize, school is getting in the way and when I think I have free time, something new comes up. I'll post screenshots of the prologue soon.

Level 29
Just wanted to tell everyone that the prologue is done, and the first chapter is 20% complete. I'm sorry that everyone had to wait 20 days just for a prologue. Again, I deeply apologize, school is getting in the way and when I think I have free time, something new comes up. I'll post screenshots of the prologue soon.

Dude, there is nothing to apologize. I know how school can be stressing and how it can get in our way.

Can you post the prologue so that we can review it?

Level 5
Dude, there is nothing to apologize. I know how school can be stressing and how it can get in our way.

Can you post the prologue so that we can review it?

Sorry, but I'm on my laptop, my computer had a virus and they have been repairing since yesterday. They said it's gonna be good by tomorrow.

Level 5
Everyone, I want to say something and some of you might not like it. The truth is that making this campaign at first sparked fun, but then it somehow became boring. Everyday, I lost motivation and excitement for this project. Some of you might think I'm cancelling it because I'm lazy and I agree. I'm lazy, but the point is, making this campaign was not fun for me and keep in mind that this doesn't mean I'll stop making maps or anything. I'm sorry to anyone who might of wanted it, but I might return to it someday.

Level 20
Well, as disappointing as it is, I for one appreciate the honesty.

Map making is a hobby and it should be fun for you - if it isn't then no one should rationally expect you to force yourself to do it. So, if you don't feel like continuing this project, simply don't - it's fine. It's better to just abandon the project and look for fun somewhere else than make your life miserable by doing something you don't enjoy only to create something that will inherently be not a work of passion and excitement, but a result of a tedious chore.

Anyway, good luck to you and may you find fun in something else :)

Level 5
Well, as disappointing as it is, I for one appreciate the honesty.

Map making is a hobby and it should be fun for you - if it isn't then no one should rationally expect you to force yourself to do it. So, if you don't feel like continuing this project, simply don't - it's fine. It's better to just abandon the project and look for fun somewhere else than make your life miserable by doing something you don't enjoy only to create something that will inherently be not a work of passion and excitement, but a result of a tedious chore.

Anyway, good luck to you and may you find fun in something else :)

Thank you for the understanding, and I actually have few new ideas for maps.

Level 29
Everyone, I want to say something and some of you might not like it. The truth is that making this campaign at first sparked fun, but then it somehow became boring. Everyday, I lost motivation and excitement for this project. Some of you might think I'm cancelling it because I'm lazy and I agree. I'm lazy, but the point is, making this campaign was not fun for me and keep in mind that this doesn't mean I'll stop making maps or anything. I'm sorry to anyone who might of wanted it, but I might return to it someday.

I know how that feels, starting something with gret enthusiasm but then several stuff makes you lose interest.
So, no problem, forget this project and focus on another stuff.

Level 2
The title pulls me here! ^ ^
I'm not a mapmaker (at least not yet), but i'm just telling some advice.

When you want to make/doing things (even a map), you sure need a schedule and rules. The schedule so you can organized yourself on doing things and you must obey it (This also make you more discipline and useful for other people). About rules, I mean like "Rule: If I want to create a map, I must finish the story first then the terrain of the map(s) and then The triggers, then the cinematics, the last is the gameplay"

Sorry if you don't understand, tell me if you do. My english skills still bad ^^

Level 5
The title pulls me here! ^ ^
I'm not a mapmaker (at least not yet), but i'm just telling some advice.

When you want to make/doing things (even a map), you sure need a schedule and rules. The schedule so you can organized yourself on doing things and you must obey it (This also make you more discipline and useful for other people). About rules, I mean like "Rule: If I want to create a map, I must finish the story first then the terrain of the map(s) and then The triggers, then the cinematics, the last is the gameplay"

Sorry if you don't understand, tell me if you do. My english skills still bad ^^

Hey your English is fine, like 2 mistakes. But about the advice, yes, I do get it.

Level 2
Be careful on creating some threads. Consider complete it about 50-75 percent completion of the campaign then you create the thread. Be prepared on anything. You also don't want your fans of your campaign waiting or dissappointed because you stop again right? ^ ^

Kyuun

Level 20
Respectfully, I disagree.

Adopting a schedule and rules makes it sound as if making maps was a regular job, not a hobby. And it isn't. You don't get paid for it and it's not part of your workplace responsibilities, so there's very little in terms of external motivation to make you stick to the schedule. What I mean by that, if you're a kind of person that likes having everything planned, obviously having some sort of a plan will help you organize your work better, but...

If you're not that kind of person, putting that artificial pressure on yourself might and likely will only result in your long term motivation being lower, because forcing yourself to meet some artificial "deadlines" will decrease your enthusiasm for the project - i.e. you will get burned out. And with no external motivation to keep you going, you are likely to eventually come to a conclusion that you don't want to waste your free time on something you don't enjoy and thus drop the project anyway.

----

That said, here are some tips that I could offer:

1. Don't come up with this grand idea for a project that will take tons of work to complete, because the thought of having to spend that much time just to reach your end goal might overwhelm you.

Start small - instead of planning a campaign that has 15 chapters, work on one that only has like 3-5 maps and thus can be completed in a much more reasonable amount of time. If you do that, every bit of work you put in will result in a decent progress, making the task ahead of you much less daunting.

And don't worry - just because your project starts small doesn't mean that it will end up being small. After all, you can always choose to expand it as you go.

2. Create a campaign that YOU want to play, not something that you hope will make others excited.

Let's face it, being selfish is one of the core elements of the human nature. Most people are far more likely to do something if they get some sort of benefit out of it - such as being able to play a campaign that they believe they will enjoy.

It's vital that you use this to your advantage - if you work on a project that you want to play, you will want to finish it for yourself, because playing every map that you finish will be a reward for your work. And being rewarded for your effort is one of the most essential factors that keep people motivated.

3. Make it playable relatively fast, then continue to iterate and expand. What I mean by that is to not start your project by creating many custom units first, then doing the terrain for like 2-3 maps, then going with triggers...

Do the opposite, i.e. start with the first map and try to make at least a part of it playable quite fast, even if it's not fully completed. Then play what you have to test it (and have fun!), iterate and expand (i.e. add content and improve things). Rinse and repeat until you are satisfied with that map and ready to move on to the next one.

And yes, I'm aware that such an approach might take longer, but it also has one very important upside - you will get to see the results of your work much faster and more often, which means that if you are excited for playing your project, you will not only get the extra motivation from seeing it go from some tinkering in the WE to an actually playable thing, but also from the fact that you will get a reward in the form of being able to play it yourself.

As a side note, in the world of game design, there is nothing better than testing ideas in a playable environment - no amount of theorycrafting will be as good in telling you whether something is fun as just being able to simply test things in practice. So, while making a map through an iterative process might take longer, chances are that the end result will simply be better.

4. Don't announce your project too early - what I mean by that is to not announce it before at least some of it is playable.

I totally agree that having people who'd give you feedback and cheer you on might be extremely helpful in keeping your motivation level high, it also creates a certain kind of pressure on yourself and can be rather devastating if your project doesn't get the attention you think it deserves.

Besides, an announcement is a very exciting milestone, which means that it can also serve as a nice and motivating goal to work towards.

That said, there is no golden rule as to when it is the right time to announce your project. Some people will prefer to do it early and benefit from the extra support from the "fans", while others will be more likely to work on it in private until their initial motivation starts to run out and they need some help to keep going.

So yeah, it's really up to you, though I'd recommend to at least have something to show (screenshots, playable demo) once you decide to make an announcement. Not only will it make it more likely that people get interested in your project, but also allow you to have discussions with people (as they will be more likely to talk about something that they can see and play rather than just a wall of text), which in turn might rekindle your excitement for your own project.

Moreover, such an approach will allow you to expend at least some of your initial motivation on the project, because... well, let's face it - when you start, you will be able to keep going for some time even without any external stimuli, but as time passes your motivation will begin to wane and watching people react to your project being announced might be a really good way of replenishing it. If you announce too early, you kinda "waste" that extra motivation source on a situation where you don't really need it.

After all, there's only so much time and work that you can spend on something and if you are already motivated enough to put that time and work into it, any extra motivation won't really translate to any increase in productivity.

5. Take short breaks often. As stupid as it may sound, it's actually very easy to burn yourself out early on - what a lot of people do when they are excited about something is that they go to extremes and push themselves so badly that they get tired of the very thing they are excited about. And while this might be effective in the short term, in the long run it will only lead to burn out.

So, my advice is simple - do not push yourself and expend all your motivation all at once. Take short (hours, 1-2 days) breaks often, even when you feel that you could keep going. Leave yourself wanting to spend more time on your project - it will help your brain associate working on your campaign as a fun activity that it wants to do, rather than something that leads to you getting tired.

After all, even if you love something, you can grow to dislike it if you overdo it. As they say, variety is the spice of life, so I'd recommend trying to keep your free time fun activities as diverse as possible.

---

Of course, this might not work for everyone, but I think that the general idea - i.e. trying to turn "working on a campaign" into "having fun while making a campaign" is something that will help most people way more than forcing yourself to adhere to a more or less strict schedule :)

Last edited:
Level 5
Respectfully, I disagree.

Adopting a schedule and rules makes it sound as if making maps was a regular job, not a hobby. And it isn't. You don't get paid for it and it's not part of your workplace responsibilities, so there's very little in terms of external motivation to make you stick to the schedule. What I mean by that, if you're a kind of person that likes having everything planned, obviously having some sort of a plan will help you organize your work better, but...

If you're not that kind of person, putting that artificial pressure on yourself might and likely will only result in your long term motivation being lower, because forcing yourself to meet some artificial "deadlines" will decrease your enthusiasm for the project - i.e. you will get burned out. And with no external motivation to keep you going, you are likely to eventually come to a conclusion that you don't want to waste your free time on something you don't enjoy and thus drop the project anyway.

----

That said, here are some tips that I could offer:

1. Don't come up with this grand idea for a project that will take tons of work to complete, because the thought of having to spend that much time just to reach your end goal might overwhelm you.

Start small - instead of planning a campaign that has 15 chapters, work on one that only has like 3-5 maps and thus can be completed in a much more reasonable amount of time. If you do that, every bit of work you put in will result in a decent progress, making the task ahead of you much less daunting.

And don't worry - just because your project starts small doesn't mean that it will end up being small. After all, you can always choose to expand it as you go.

2. Create a campaign that YOU want to play, not something that you hope will make others excited.

Let's face it, being selfish is one of the core elements of the human nature. Most people are far more likely to do something if they get some sort of benefit out of it - such as being able to play a campaign that they believe they will enjoy.

It's vital that you use this to your advantage - if you work on a project that you want to play, you will want to finish it for yourself, because playing every map that you finish will be a reward for your work. And being rewarded for your effort is one of the most essential factors that keep people motivated.

3. Make it playable relatively fast, then continue to iterate and expand. What I mean by that is to not start your project by creating many custom units first, then doing the terrain for like 2-3 maps, then going with triggers...

Do the opposite, i.e. start with the first map and try to make at least a part of it playable quite fast, even if it's not fully completed. Then play what you have to test it (and have fun!), iterate and expand (i.e. add content and improve things). Rinse and repeat until you are satisfied with that map and ready to move on to the next one.

And yes, I'm aware that such an approach might take longer, but it also has one very important upside - you will get to see the results of your work much faster and more often, which means that if you are excited for playing your project, you will not only get the extra motivation from seeing it go from some tinkering in the WE to an actually playable thing, but also from the fact that you will get a reward in the form of being able to play it yourself.

As a side note, in the world of game design, there is nothing better than testing ideas in a playable environment - no amount of theorycrafting will be as good in telling you whether something is fun as just being able to simply test things in practice. So, while making a map through an iterative process might take longer, chances are that the end result will simply be better.

4. Don't announce your project too early - what I mean by that is to not announce it before at least some of it is playable.

I totally agree that having people who'd give you feedback and cheer you on might be extremely helpful in keeping your motivation level high, it also creates a certain kind of pressure on yourself and can be rather devastating if your project doesn't get the attention you think it deserves.

Besides, an announcement is a very exciting milestone, which means that it can also serve as a nice and motivating goal to work towards.

That said, there is no golden rule as to when it is the right time to announce your project. Some people will prefer to do it early and benefit from the extra support from the "fans", while others will be more likely to work on it in private until their initial motivation starts to run out and they need some help to keep going.

So yeah, it's really up to you, though I'd recommend to at least have something to show (screenshots, playable demo) once you decide to make an announcement. Not only will it make it more likely that people get interested in your project, but also allow you to have discussions with people (as they will be more likely to talk about something that they can see and play rather than just a wall of text), which in turn might rekindle your excitement for your own project.

Moreover, such an approach will allow you to expend at least some of your initial motivation on the project, because... well, let's face it - when you start, you will be able to keep going for some time even without any external stimuli, but as time passes your motivation will begin to wane and watching people react to your project being announced might be a really good way of replenishing it. If you announce too early, you kinda "waste" that extra motivation source on a situation where you don't really need it.

After all, there's only so much time and work that you can spend on something and if you are already motivated enough to put that time and work into it, any extra motivation won't really translate to any increase in productivity.

5. Take short breaks often. As stupid as it may sound, it's actually very easy to burn yourself out early on - what a lot of people do when they are excited about something is that they go to extremes and push themselves so badly that they get tired of the very thing they are excited about. And while this might be effective in the short term, in the long run it will only lead to burn out.

So, my advice is simple - do not push yourself and expend all your motivation all at once. Take short (hours, 1-2 days) breaks often, even when you feel that you could keep going. Leave yourself wanting to spend more time on your project - it will help your brain associate working on your campaign as a fun activity that it wants to do, rather than something that leads to you getting tired.

After all, even if you love something, you can grow to dislike it if you overdo it. As they say, variety is the spice of life, so I'd recommend trying to keep your free time fun activities as diverse as possible.

---

Of course, this might not work for everyone, but I think that the general idea - i.e. trying to turn "working on a campaign" into "having fun while making a campaign" is something that will help most people way more than forcing yourself to adhere to a more or less strict schedule :)

Thank you for the help along my way. I also have ideas for the campaign and I created a simple map of the world we are going to be in. I'll upload it a couple hours or so.

Level 5
I've said I will upload a map of my new campaign's planet. Here's one in the middle of the Apocalypse, I might add one year before the Apocalypse starts.
p.jpg

Level 5
I promised to make one before the Apocalypse and here it is:
Before the Apocalypseo.jpg

And I'm going to answer your questions:
-If you notice that continent full of tribes the one on the right, is kind of smaller than the one in the middle of the Apocalypse, well I kind of wanted to make it small and the other one should be small, also.
-The Akila Islands are not present in the one in the middle of the Apocalypse, because of an Earthquake hitting the islands and a tsunami one week later. Everything and everyone in the Islands is non existent at this point.
-The Humanoid and the Genorids might be strange and unknown to you, so I'm gonna explain it. When Humans were created (by the Gods, btw), there was a failed expirement, they created the Humanoids, rabid dumb, but strong creatures, instead of the smart, good, but weak Humans. And the Genorids are like Lizardmen from those conspiracy theories, I'm gonna explain 'em later.
-Yes, Perusiam and Kempar had a referendum and they chose to be together as the Twin Kingdoms and Somona & Bertha separated because of corruption and violence against Somonians.
-And here's the population of the creatures in this planet:
-Humans: 2 billion: 100 in Sun Kingdom, 130 million in Moon Kingdom, Somona 90 million, Bertha 120 million, Beluranian Land 260 million, Perusiam 65 million, Kempar 90 million, Kingdom of Depthira 210 million, Republic of Darnesia 340 million, Peksis Orick and Karra 62 million, and the rest are in Islands.
-Dragons 123 00
-Phoenixes 4 000
-Ancients 9 000
-Humanoids: 1 million
-Genorids: 65 000
-Void Creatures: Infinite (one new every second, one loss every 3 seconds)
That's everything for now. If you have questions, ask here.

Level 20
Uhm... You sound as if we should be familiar with the world that you have shown on the map. Have I missed something?

By the way, try using this:
Inkarnate

It's a fairly easy to use, free tool that will allow you to make you better looking maps than the ones you have posted :)

Level 5
Uhm... You sound as if we should be familiar with the world that you have shown on the map. Have I missed something?

By the way, try using this:
Inkarnate

It's a fairly easy to use, free tool that will allow you to make you better looking maps than the ones you have posted :)

Um, no. I just wanted to tell everyone that this is the world we will play in and thanks for the link.

Level 5
Also I have a question, I just downloaded 1.29.2 on my computer, I put a campaign I wanted to play and it doesn't let me? Is there something wrong with it?
Update: It's actually 1.30, but still why isn't it letting me?

Last edited:
Level 5
I just want to say something else, I found the problem. There wasn't a folder named Campaigns. I made one and isn't working still. Can someone please help me with this?

Level 16
Have you tried to put another campaign in the folder? To see if it's come from your file or the folder.

You may open a separate thread for this issues. Also if the project is dead (no pun intended), there is no point of posting here anymore. If you have a new project, you may want to open a new thread in Map development. If you don't have to show anything yet and it's mostly loose ideas, you may open a thread in Idea factory where you can discuss about it with other users.

Level 5
You may open a separate thread for this issues. Also if the project is dead (no pun intended), there is no point of posting here anymore. If you have a new project, you may want to open a new thread in Map development. If you don't have to show anything yet and it's mostly loose ideas, you may open a thread in Idea factory where you can discuss about it with other users.

That's the plan. But for now, I won't start one. I will open one when I make the first chapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.