• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[AI] I have a question about AI/Computers, an AI in a map like Dark Deeds or Werewolf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I have a questions, this mainly relates to AI/computers in a custom map setting, not melee:

Can AI be done practically in a map that like "Dark Deeds" for example. So lets say I want to make a map like Dark Deeds, and I want to make a computer AI for that map, can it be done practically?

Can an AI be made to build structures, make units, and play in a map like Dark Deeds?

If you played Dark Deeds or played a map similar to it, you'll probably understand my question better but I hope I can describe it to those who haven't.

Note: You can skip below section if you played Dark Deeds or Werewolf or any other game similar to it, I'm just describing the map.
[Dark Deeds Explanation]
Dark Deeds is basically a map where you play as a farmer, you build stuff and build units. One of the farmer is evil, evil means that the farmer will become a Werewolf or have the ability to transform to a vampire at night time.
[End of Dark Deeds Explanation]

Few things to note about Dark Deeds and what I want AI to do:
1. The tech tree for build units/farmers is different from regular WC3. Players gain lumber by gathering it from trees, but they gain gold by building farms which generate gold automatically.

2. Units can be upgraded to better units, by simply clicking on them and clicking on a new unit. Similar to towers upgrading to better towers.

3.The Evil farmer has to manage his units as well as hunting farmers at night, evil must also prevent other farmers from knowing who he is by not transforming back to "human form" nearby other farmers.

4. No one knows who the evil farmer at first. You have to figure out who the evil farmer is.

So I basically want the AI to understand the above, that is:
1. Knowing how to play as the farmer: Building units, structures, and attacking the evil.
2. Knowing how to play the evil: Knowing when to attack and when to run and transform back to a farmer, etc.

Now say I want to make a map like Dark Deeds right, but want to make a good AI/Computer for it. Is it practical(i.e not too hard) and possible?

Level 6
Thanks, though I can only find one tutorial and that's with explaining the AI editor.

Few things that I want to do but can't with the AI editor is building placement, how do I set up the building placement?

Also with Dark Deeds, there are multiple types of units that can harvest lumber/gold, but the AI editor only lets you put one unit for harvesting lumber and one unit for harvesting gold.

Another thing is that when you build units, you build a baby, the baby grows up to be a male or woman.

Problem is, you can't really specify this in the AI editor, so the AI will keep trying to build babies over and over and they won't build anything else because it's in their priotity.

Is there a more advanced AI editor around or do I have to script/trigger everything?

I don't really know how to configure the AI with triggers/scripts, can't find any tutorials about AI scripting/trigger, know any?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
WC3's AI is very limated, thus for some tasks you will need both an AI script and a TRIGGER script communicating which each other inorder to unleash WC's maximum AI potential.

Sadly it will never reach human skill level as has been long proven by even much better AI but still you may be able to get it to work. The only problem is the unusual terane of such maps so preplaced bases may sadly be needed.

For hero movement JASS triggers can even be used and can become challenging thanks to their maphack like sense you can program them with.

Level 8
Sadly it will never reach human skill level as has been long proven by even much better AI but still you may be able to get it to work.

AI can be annoyingly fast to respond to things. They can also build bases much faster as they can control all aspects of their game at once. These bonuses, while annoying to a human player don't make the AI particularly good, just fast.
I can't beat the standard [melee] wc3 AI, but I'm terrible at standard wc3, I haven't played a standard game in 1.5-2 years or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.