• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

I don't get custom spell making.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
I've read the turtorial but it don't see anything telling me what I do with dummy units if I gave them an ability wouldn't it just sit there with it?
And it gives aoe sleep as an example, someone please explain to me better on the steps to making an aoe sleep or aura sleep I've tried but I can't get it.

Oh and plz explain variables to me better.

Edit: What I tried was something like
Event:A unit enter 999.0 range of Malfurion
Condition:
Action:Unit-Make triggering unit sleep when unprevoked.

it doesnt do anything

Level 8
I highly suggest that you learn JASS. GUI may be easier in the start, but later on you'll see that JASS is actualy easier. I never belived this myself, but now that I really learned it, I belive. It's easier to do complicated stuff with JASS too.

Sorry, but I'm too lazy to link a JASS tutorial now, cuz I'm tired and I need to go to bed, but you can find it in the JASS/AI tutorial part in the Tutorials section. There are many JASS tutorials that actualy teach you by giving you instructions on how to make a spell so you could learn about spell making as well.

Level 6
Destroyer is right about jass in how it is a better investment in the long run but it does take a while to learn and master to where you can code complicated spells.
in gui, a dummy unit is created to cast a spell (ex. a mass sleep). the tutorial explains how to create a dummy unit so i guess its the actual usage of the dummy youre confused on. this trigger puts the dummy unit on the map, adds an ability to the dummy and forces it to cast a mass sleep explosion (a spell YOU made) then destroys the unit after 3 seconds.

• Dummy Spell Trigger
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Mass explosion (Hero)
    • Actions
      • Unit - Create 1 Dummy for owner of triggering unit at (postition of triggering unit) facing Default building facing degrees
      • Unit - Add ability (Mass explosion (Effect)) to Last Created Unit
      • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to cast Mass explosion (Effect) at target (target of last issued order)
      • Unit - Add a 3.00 second Generic expiration timer to (Last Created Unit)
there are no variables (but it would be wise to add the dummy to a variable). You also have to have made 2 spells, the Mass explosion (Hero) which does nothing but activate this trigger, and the mass exlosion (effect) which the dummy uses to actually cast a spell. and finally the trigger leaks but can be cleaned up rather simply.

Level 5
ok i'm gonna start learning it right away
function HelloWorld takes nothing returns nothing
call BJDebugMsg("Didn't need to look at guide for this")
//Lolz
endfunction

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.