• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Human Archmage

This bundle is marked as pending. It has not been reviewed by a staff member yet.
Hi, Hive!
Made this unmounted wc2 style archmage with the new model editor (All hail to Retera!)
He will lead your human army to the new horizons in an oldschool way. Also he likes to bow to his king.:peasant-smile:

Edit 28.11: Edited the frequency of mage bending animation (Stand 3), so he won't bow to everybody.
Edit 29.11: Added portrait model that is needed for proper in game sound playback (The model won't talk to you without it).
Contents

Human Archmage (Model)

Human Archmage_portrait (Model)

In reforged, the Teamcolour is not located in the diffuse channel (which would be the base texture of the model). You have to extract the ORM texture and modify the alpha channel (the transparency) either in Photoshop or Gimp.

The ORM stands for: O=red channel, occlusion. R= Green channel, roughness. M= blue channel, metalness. And transparency/alpha channel for Team colour. Just edit the parts that you want to show the Team colour and save it as a texture in the same folder of the model.

Also, try to edit the Stand-2 animation. The right sleeve isn't animated properly. Awesome work either way!

Level 18
It looks like he got to take a poop
It looks fine from a RTS perspective, though for cinematics and other camera PoV it might look a bit weird indeed.

I'm looking forward seeing him with a teamcoloured dress, this will literally brings this model to another level.

Right now, I think it's still pretty useful and it's good to have a regular human mage unit which does not look like a renegade.

Thank you very much for this addition, keep up the good work!

@Mr Ogre man thanks for the advices! Should I change texture dependancies if I'll edit the ORM? And what format should I save to?

You have to save it as, for example, ArchmageTC_ORM.dds. The name before _ORM is irrelevant, it's for those that are importing your model to know what is the model they are importing. I believe writting _ORM is irrelevant as well, but I always write it (for example, writing _diffuse is not needed).

You have to save it in .dds formatting, though, and have these options set when saving it:
miau.png

Otherwise the model just shows red.

Level 9
You have to save it as, for example, ArchmageTC_ORM.dds. The name before _ORM is irrelevant, it's for those that are importing your model to know what is the model they are importing. I believe writting _ORM is irrelevant as well, but I always write it (for example, writing _diffuse is not needed).

It seems I've managed to understand the process of teamcolouring. All thanks to you:) Also fixed some glitches with several animations. Now the model seems finished.

The only problem now is that the unit using this model doesn't speak.. Looks like I deleted some sound attachment node.

The only problem now is that the unit using this model doesn't speak.. Looks like I deleted some sound attachment node.
Click the archmage model, select open portait and save it as human archmage_portait.mdx
You can remove the horse to reduce filesize, too.0

Level 18
Thanks for updating with teamcolor!

He still bends quite a lot though :peasant-tongue-out:

Regardless, seems like I will find him some uses.

Level 9
Click the archmage model, select open portait and save it as human archmage_portait.mdx
You can remove the horse to reduce filesize, too.0
I was talking about the ingame voice sounds, not about the mouth motion. But still thanks)

He still bends quite a lot though
I've just managed to understand the rarity system of animations so I'll edit the mage bending frequency.

Level 4
Thank you very much for this! I've been looking for an Archmage who's not riding a horse for a long time. Do you plan to make other archmages' versions (like Kelen the high elf one) as well?

I was talking about the ingame voice sounds, not about the mouth motion. But still thanks)

I've just managed to understand the rarity system of animations so I'll edit the mage bending frequency.

It's twofold, once you add his portrait, the model is able to talk and produce ingame sounds. Blizzard did some shit with FaceFX and lipsyncing and many models are not able to speak otherwise. It specially sucks once you've modified the face of the model -with yours it wouldn't be an issue.

Level 9
Thank you very much for this! I've been looking for an Archmage who's not riding a horse for a long time. Do you plan to make other archmages' versions (like Kelen the high elf one) as well?
Thanks for the comment. Me as well! Kinda hate mounted mages) I indeed was going to make High Elven version of Archmage anytime soon.

It's twofold, once you add his portrait, the model is able to talk and produce ingame sounds. Blizzard did some shit with FaceFX and lipsyncing and many models are not able to speak otherwise. It specially sucks once you've modified the face of the model -with yours it wouldn't be an issue.

I understood. I avoided portrait models due to import quantity economy earlier. Now I realized why they are used.
It seems it's better to use non heroic units as a base to avoid necessity of using portrait models. Interesting fact, if I use MeatWagon sounds to the model, they are still played without the portrait.
However I'll add portrait model to the archmage in the near future. You have my gratitude as always!

Last edited:
Level 12
There is something wrong with his left eye. Also, two pieces of skin stick out from the robe on his back. I could delete those in RMS, and it didn't really affect animations.

Attachments

• Archmage.png
    Archmage.png
    309.5 KB · Views: 9