• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How's Wurst?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Been thinking about getting back into Warcraft 3 modding, maybe resurrect some old project. Back in the days I used to do everything with GUI triggers but during my absence from Warcraft I've learned a lot more about programming. I've been looking at Wurst and it looks kind of nice. People who have used it - how is it? Do people use it? Is it a solid alternative to vJass or has it even started to replace it (i never learned vJass)? Does it work well or is it buggy?

Cheers!

Level 13
I don't use it but i believe the attitude towards it is this: if you're good at coding and are looking to start a new project from scratch, and you have the choice between learning vJass or Wurst, you should go with Wurst. Else stay with vJass if you already know it.

I cannot say per se, but the number of those using Wurst has increased quite impressively, and I suppose the reason behind it is that the majority of the Wurst Users are new Warcraft 3 modders. It even has the ability to test in-game behavior outside of the game, though it is not expected to accurately reflect the entire behavior in-game (something like 85% - 95%).

Due to Wurst being envisioned as a solid alternative to vJASS, I would say with confidence that it is actively being developed. You can even contact the following who, as far as my knowledge goes, use Wurst:
@Frotty, @HappyTauren, @Chaosy, @Cokemonkey11.

If your Warcraft 3 version is updated (v.1.28+), and you like to generate new objects with ease, I'd suggest going into Wurst.
The ability to generate objects in the Object Editor by script, offered by vJASS, using lua, is somewhat not working (e.g. Cannot extract Units/MetaData.slk exception).

Otherwise, if you feel like having an output script that best resembles the input script, it would be preferable to pick vJASS. (low-level resemblance).

Level 23
I would only call a compiler "buggy" if it crashes unexpectedly or produces erroneous output code.
Both things haven't been the case for quite some time and even the standard library is mostly unit tested now.
There are some bugs which prevent certain esoteric language constructs to be used, but these simply produce an error when they shouldn't, in theory.

So no, I wouldn't call it buggy, and yes, it's still actively developed.
As MyPad said, unless you want unbridled low level access, Wurst is usually the better choice for wc3 modding.
I would argue that it is also easier to learn than vJass, as it is more readable, you get instant feedback on errors as well as excellent autocomplete in the code editor and wurst resembles popular programming languages like kotlin/java/python more closely.
However our tutorials section is still lacking on fundamentals..
You can see some maps developed with wurst in our WurstScript • Showcase

Feel free to drop by our chat to talk some wurst!

Reactions: pyf
Level 5
If your Warcraft 3 version is updated (v.1.28+), and you like to generate new objects with ease, I'd suggest going into Wurst.
The ability to generate objects in the Object Editor by script, offered by vJASS, using lua, is somewhat not working (e.g. Cannot extract Units/MetaData.slk exception).

Yeah this looks very cool!

I would argue that it is also easier to learn than vJass, as it is more readable, you get instant feedback on errors as well as excellent autocomplete in the code editor and wurst resembles popular programming languages like kotlin/java/python more closely.

This is what excited me the most when I started reading about Wurst :) I always found Jass to be a bit hard to read and understand.

Level 6
I would only call a compiler "buggy" if it crashes unexpectedly or produces erroneous output code.
Both things haven't been the case for quite some time and even the standard library is mostly unit tested now.
There are some bugs which prevent certain esoteric language constructs to be used, but these simply produce an error when they shouldn't, in theory.

So no, I wouldn't call it buggy, and yes, it's still actively developed.
As MyPad said, unless you want unbridled low level access, Wurst is usually the better choice for wc3 modding.
However our tutorials section is still lacking on fundamentals..
You can see some maps developed with wurst in our WurstScript • Showcase

Feel free to drop by our chat to talk some wurst!

Yeah this looks very cool!

This is what excited me the most when I started reading about Wurst :) I always found Jass to be a bit hard to read and understand.

I can only second what Frotty said.
Wurst is the best invention since vJass. Go for it, you won't ever wanna go back to vJass, not even talking about GUI.

Status
Not open for further replies.